How has COVID-19 affected your training and other parts of your life?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That is kind of crazy.

2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Anything to make a buck, like that guy who bought up a lot of the hand sanitizer in Tennessee and Kentucky and tried to "retail arbitrage" it on Amazon and got shut down.

Never underestimate the ability of some people to profit off a crisis.

He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them

axelb likes this.
  3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Spent 20 minutes, not more than 2 feet from someone, trying to fix their computer issues, to have them tell me...after 20 minutes, that their child works directly with Covid-19 patients.....I was not happy.....but they then added....they started today and have not been home yet.......I now know who not to work closely with tomorrow.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Xue, you should report this co-worker as being high risk to your supervisors.

Also, please maintain that 6 feet of distance at work Make everyone stand away the proper distance when on their computer. I am worried about you now.

Before being sent home, we at my branch were to sub at other branches as my branch is having some repairs being done and was closed before this all went down. One of my co-workers heard someone at the branch she was going to had been partying in clubs in Vegas over the weekend at the branch she was going to. Dumb!!!! Fortunately, that idiot was not back at work that day. And we were sent home. So, she wasn't exposed to his high risk behavior.

People can be so dumb!

We are truly seeing who people are in this crisis. True colors coming through and all.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

A lot of people do dumb really well, it just comes natural. Woman that walked in to an acupuncture office in NYC for her appointment...she was already positive for Covid and supposed to be in quarantine and told no one in the office. Doctor got sick and assistant got sick, after going to the other office. Both offices had to close and all staff went to quarantine. She thought it was a good time to get some acupuncture because she was out of work due to being in quarantine and had the time. Lord knows where else she went that day to infect others.

I have already reported it and it got all the way up to deputy commissioner level in seconds. Doing my best to stay away, but if your cornered in your office, not much you can do at that point. I just have to make it to Wednesday, and if things go as planned, and so far they seem to be, I am out for one and a half weeks due to knee surgery. It was going to be 2.5 weeks, but with everything going on everyone seems to want me back sooner. I will talk to the MD and see what he has to say.

Thanks for the concern, I am doing my best to keep my distance and I am washing my hands raw every day...so far, so good.

aaradia likes this.
  6. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Well, it’s official; No Karate classes for me for a while. My instructor has agreed to make the dojo available for individual training. He’s even offered to provide direction via Skype while we train alone. I may take him up on that.

In the meantime, I’ve downloaded a running app and have spent quite a bit of time on the trail. I’m also doing a prison-style body weight strength routine.

Anth, Travess and axelb like this.
  7. Xue Sheng

Well, the Governor officially closed NYS....all non-essential employees in the state are to stay home AND you are not to go outside unless absolutly necessary currently 8,398 cases of Covid 19 in NYS and 46 deaths

8. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Well, due an injury teaching two years ago and my desire to not contract The Weird Bat Plague my training has transitioned into mostly yoga and martial arts rehab, body weight exercises, variations of Himalayian Squats and Pushups, shadow striking, and sometimes I get in vivo intermittent sprinting startle reflex training evading dog bites, with counter weapon deploying experience, but I must say, trying to kill a semi-rabid dogs in knife range is way harder than it sounds. I am having to do this without any CCTV coverage and the phone in my off hand, but if you like videos of feet and violence it's totes fascinating. I have been practicing projecting my doom aura to keep "hoaxers" (nearly ALL of the people I live among) away from me due to having family to care I will for sure kill if I contract the disease, but usually it just means being rude to old church ladies invading my personal bubble at grocery store checkout lines. Down with the elderly! My present training goals are to be kill 3-1 trained men when 'Merican implodes. Of course the ratios will be much more favorable to us should I be able to reach family's and friend's compounds.

Who here is practicing their long gun and booby trapping skills?

9. Xue Sheng

Well, they just closed my youngest school for the rest of the year. They are looking at online classes

axelb likes this.
  10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I wonder how long forced closures and lockdown will last before people get fed up and head outside anyway. I saw that Lombardy has banned leaving the home even for individual exercise; I've been stuck in the house just two days and I'm going stir crazy. There's only so much reading, video games or TV a person can take before needing to leave the confines of the house!

axelb likes this.
  11. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

The Karate and Tai Chi Classes I have been going to at rec centers were all cancelled in the past week as those facilities were closed. We actually had a couple of Tai Chi classes outside since the closure but now everything is fully stopped. The Gym I am a member at is closed as well, as there is a closure of all gyms in my state. I'm trying to practice on my own as best I can. The gym closure rule means all Martial arts schools are shut down as well.

The Muay Thai school I used to go to, had a few classes on facebook live, and my gym is doing this too with some exercise classes. I think that is the best strategy they have right now to deal with this. I am worried that if this goes on for months that it will put a lot of local schools out of business. I am not so worried about the Rec Center classes I have been going to, as they are free, and pay no rent or fees - but more all the other great schools around here that run as businesses.

12. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Going outside without a face mask has been forbidden. Despite the lack of face masks available. Even the hospital staff doesn't have enough, so obviously, it is basically impossible to buy. The government just sent a few planes to China to pick some. Some may be distributed to regular people, but not enough.
    So anyone who can, creates their own. The internet's been flooded with video instructions on how to create various masks. Even the ministers are now wearing obviously home made masks to the tv.

Shops have been closed except for food stores, drug stores and other neccesary ones. However, due to people's complains just the next day the government had to re-open shops selling textiles. I visited one that regulated the amount of people let in and a queue formed. The vendors were only cutting small pieces of cotton for people to just grab. Everyone came for cotton for face masks anyway. I think they've never experienced so many customers. They looked fairly tired.

I learned how to sew the masks and occupied my mom's sewing machine for the whole afternoon yesterday to finally get some masks for me and my partner. I'm happy to finally have some :) There are people and families and prisoners and others sewing them in large numbers and giving them out, but usually to people like cashiers, nurses in retirement houses or the elderly. I'd feel bad getting my own like this if there is even a remote chance I can create them somehow. Quite happy about my accomplishments, though! :)

[​IMG]

Dead_pool, Mitch and aaradia like this.
  13. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I ache. Back at work, two shifts of trying to refill the shelves after people panic buying and I feel more knackered than I do at Christmas already because it is worse than Christmas. Running up to Christmas supermarkets are building up their backstock so there's enough to be put out during the day and right now all of that backstock is gone so that means that, once the night's delivery is worked, there is nothing else to put out until the next night. We're hunting all over for stock to put out and even that (generally old lines that are only seen at stocktake) are flying out. It's pure insanity.

Why did I offer to do as much overtime as possible again?

14. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I'm worried about this too. Martial arts schools are generally small businesses, and will struggle to keep revenues going with online classes.

I'm stir crazy without training, but realise it could be a lot worse. The situation is Italy looks terrible, with a frightening number of daily fatalities.

15. Xue Sheng

Decided to postpone my knee surgery. Can't in good conscious have them using the medical supplies for my surgery when there is a shortage and I can deal with the knee for a few more months. Also, know I am not irreplaceable, but there is no way that I can get someone trained by Tuesday to handle all the stuff I now have to do during the pandemic.

Mitch likes this.
  16. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I just recovered from a cold which has masked me not being able to train, but now I'm feeling the lack of training.

The field next to me is usually empty and i am thinking of walking the dog there was I can see if anyone is there.

I look out the other side of my house at the lake which is deserted and in this sun it looks like a lovely place to go for a was walk, but too much risk of coming across people on the way :(

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That must have been a difficult decision. I know your condition causes a lot of pain and limitations for you. Much respect for making that call. I think it was the right and responsible choice.

Take Care!

Mitch and Xue Sheng like this.
  18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My doctor's office informed me today that I have been identified as "vulnerable" to Covid-19 and I should self-isolate for a period of at least 12 weeks. I received a text message from the NHS earlier this evening pretty much stating the same. Just waiting on the Prime Minister's address to the nation at 20:30, but I'm expecting this to be the announcement that we are going into full lockdown (and my isolation will become enforced). I told Mitch that currently my attendance at the MAP Meet is questionable, but hopefully things will improve by then and life will have returned to (sort of) normal.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  19. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

We were told this afternoon that as of Thursday we will be operating with just 3 techs 1 parts man and the service manager looking after reception , unless bojo enforces a complete lockdown in a minute .....

20. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I also got the at risk sms from NHS. So 12 weeks at home for me also.

By the time i get back to BJJ I'll be in the over 40s club

Dead_pool likes this.