How has COVID-19 affected your training and other parts of your life?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm working for Public Health England in the National Incident Control Centre on airport enhanced monitoring of COVID-19 so it has properly messed up my training. Long working hours and cumulative tiredness has totally messed up my fitness and amount of training.

People have already said it here but I'll reiterate...that minor cold symptom could be COVID-19. Also, even if you young fit martial artists think you'll be fine, you might not be. About 15% of people get ill enough to need ventilation/intubation in hospital even if they don't die. We do not have enough resource in this country if it goes full Italy on us hence govt schemes to delay the spread. Fewer people getting it all at the same time means we might cope. Also, you know older people, you know people with other medical conditions. They are extra vulnerable and it would be wrong to carry it to them.

Grond, Anth, bassai and 4 others like this.
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Quite right can't believe someone would risk the life of others knowingly and willingly it's shocking

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It hasn't impacted my life thus far aside from lack of certain supplies in supermarkets. I'm flying to South Africa next week for a month so I'm cautiously monitoring that situation in case flights start getting cancelled en masse or, like in other countries on the continent, South Africa instructs visitors from the UK to self-isolate on arrival. Thankfully, I took out additional insurance when the situation was still in its early development.

As far as training goes, I work out at home for the most part. The communal gym I go to is refreshingly empty so at least there's no queues for the squat rack. Silver linings and all that.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Good seeing a coach being sensible and not burying their heads in the sand

5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Just cancelled weekend travel plans to NYC and Boston due to the Coronavirus.

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'm trying to be more cautious as an asthmatic in high risk. I work from home, so this is a huge benefit to be and the company i work for.

If i feel fit and my asthma is under control I'll carry on training. I'm prepared for being quarantined if we need to and also prepared in case they close the schools as they have had a few confirmed cases in my region.

Vince Millett likes this.
  7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I work in the drainage industry and over the years have walked and sometimes crawled through some disgusting sewers, worked in tanks coated on animal blood and all sorts of other nasties.

Although I am now predominantly office based I do still occasionally work on the road covering sickness and holidays.

One of the risks involved with drainage and sewage is leptospirosis, or weils disease.

The symptoms are very similar to the flu and indeed the coronavirus.

Consequently despite my sounding rather nonchalant in a previous post my hygiene day to day is better than most. It has become a habit after 33 years to wash and clean correctly.

Mitch, Anth, Dead_pool and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

So after the weekend seminar, I've gotten a cold. My cough prevails, but is much better compared to the rhinitis that came now. I guess the coronavirus would be more about cough, though. Anyway, I work from home and I am not really planning to go anywhere, only maybe outdoors for a walk or something where I shouldn't be meeting people. My partner got the cold, too, and has just negotiated home office.

Right now the government has announced the state of emergency. Meaning all events with participation over 30 people are forbidden, the restaurants are going to be closed from 8 pm to 6 am. All events, be it sports, movies, everything are cancelled. Wellness centers, sport centers, clubs, libraries, galleries,... everything is going to get closed tommorrow. Travelling to the countries with higher risk of getting infected has now become a crime.

So yeah, the virus is now pretty much affecting everyone here...

Although they tried to stay open, even taichi is now closed, thought the school is preparing some online courses, it seems, which is cool. That would be pretty much the only thing we can really do now except for going outdoors, I guess.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

A friend from a previous MA forum I was on posted a shocking thing from his current school.

His school used this as an opportunity to play on fears by pushing their QiGong classes as one way to boost health amid the virus outbreak. Basically using the fear going around to promote their classes. Furthermore, they didn't outright say it, but hinted and implied that Qigong could help prevent the coronavirus.

I called it out. I do some Qigong. I believe it has good health benefits, but that was outright fraud and a very poor moral stance. We will see if he unfriends me over it, but I could not see that and NOT speak up. Nonsense like that gives traditional arts a bad name.:mad:

Mitch, Anth, Monkey_Magic and 3 others like this.
  10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

My two person partner and one of my best friends at the school got called into Tai Sifu's office. Apparently everyone over 60 is being advised to stay away from all contact events at the school. This means no sparring, push hands, or even two person practice. There was even a contract addition she signed saying she knew and was advised of various health risks and what the school was recommending.

So, I am out my main two person partner. Right now, she and I and others at my school are just happy the school hasn't closed down yet.

San Diego has the country, maybe the world's largest Comic Convention in the summer. I am expecting it to be cancelled. Big blow for the economy here. I don't go to it, but a lot of people I know do.

I just found this out last night.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

NYS just declared there can be no gatherings with 500 or more people

Grond likes this.
  12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There goes the naked ramble.

Xue Sheng and axelb like this.
  13. Xue Sheng

People are acting like this is the end of the world

had to talk a coworker down today because they were convinced they'd be quarantined because a person 3 blocks away tested positive for the dreaded coronavirus

I work in IT.
    I do a lot of PC and laptop setup
    500 people all want a laptop to work from home if they close the office. we don't have 500 laptops
    They where looking at chrome books and the person testing them was getting way to involved and to slow so they took it from him and made me do it
    Now there buying hundreds of chrome books
    After setting up 6 laptops today I had someone ask me what I thought about the "pandemic"
    I said, if this is the end of the world, I hope it hurries up and gets here because I am sick to death of this silliness

I have many other things to do but I am all laptops and soon to be all chrome books and the rest is not getting done

So it is causing me a lot of headaches at work

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

"That means you could be rolling around with someone who seems perfectly fine, not the slightest cough or any indication of fever, and they can still give you the damn thing."

This is a big issue, and for young fit people, they may be able to cope with the virus and recover well.
    I had Pneumonia at 26 and it has affected me for life, it's not fun even for a young athletic person who would train 10-20 hours a week, I can never run a mile in under 5 minutes again (despite my best efforts) since having it, my asthma is worse and I have ongoing issues.

I'm not happy with the lack of action from the UK government, and the statistics that Stephan Kesting posted about the mortality rate puts this situation into perspective.

First UK case to die with the covid19 was in my local hospital. Now a pupil at my kids school is in quarantine for being in contact with a confirmed case.
    My son was coughing this morning and I have signs of a cough. Is it another cold virus which I commonly get every few months? hopefully.

For all I know it could have been spread already and our bodies are in the initial stages of fighting the virus.
    I won't be going to training as planned today. :(

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Problem is if you go too soon it doesn't seem to work, Italy went into quarantine and hundreds ignored it still went out within the quarantine zones for meals etc and it spread like wild fire still.

I still have people at work.saying its just like the flu get over yourself people like that simply won't do as asked until.they are convinced it's really bad and that unfortunately means more have to catch this fire

17. Xue Sheng

My daughters Aikido dojo has been closed and the Sempai who taught her kids class, who has since opened a school of his own is also closed.

Also I cannot stress this enough. Politicians, who are sadly the most vocal, are to some extent creating panic where none is necessary. Herd one politician state that they (politicians) should be taking the lead on this...politicians mind you with absolutely no medical background. My wife also heard this man make this statement (it was on the news) her immediate response was "You need to shut up". My wife is a doctor.

My wife is a doctor and I am related to a few more and if you listen to them, it is something that you should not take lightly, follow the CDC (in the USA) recommendations and don't panic. And unless you are in a high risk group, you will be ok, just might get sick to varying degrees. If you are in a high risk group, stay home and avoid crowds if possible.

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The TKD group I'm part of were due to hold their English Championships on Sunday, maybe 1500+ competitors then all the spectators that go with them. I heard a few minutes ago that they have cancelled it. This will obviously have major financial implications for them and for many people who were travelling from all over the UK to compete or spectate, but there had been many posts on social media expressing concern about attending the event.

Interestingly enough this actually goes AGAINST Govt advice, which is that there is no need to cancel sporting events, but in light of Premiership football being cancelled today, and the widespread concern, I think it is probably the right decision. I'm very much a "follow the science" guy, but I must admit I had qualms about going.

axelb likes this.
  19. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I'm now a shut-in. Slight cough started yesterday, got up today coughing every dozen breaths or so. Sure enough, the government advice has changed so you have to self isolate if you have either a fever or a new continuous cough. I feel as fit as I can be after a good aiki session but I've rang work and told them I'm having to self isolate for seven days. Gutted for the rest of the team at work because it's due to be a tough weekend anyway but needs must.

Time to get the TRX and turbo trainer set up I suppose and get down to working on the little things I've noticed I'm doing wrong (or not as well as I want) in my aikido (having a good imagination helps with things like that) so I don't go back like I've sat watching TV for a week straight.

20. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I am surprised the UK government encourages sport evens still. UK is one of the countries with heightened risk according to our government. The govenment here is taking a lot of precautions as soon as the virus has started to spread. We can basically just sit home or go to shops. Nothing is opened anymore. The borders are going to be closed starting next week, some flights cancelled as well as and all buses and trains.

The international karate seminars are being cancelled one by one. Even the European Gasshuku in Germany that should have taken place at the end of July and has usually around 400-500 attendees, was now cancelled.

I am not particularly happy about all of this, but I agree with the strict rules. It may prevent the virus to spread like wildfire. Unless there is vaccine soon, the majority of the population may still catch it eventually, but slowly, in waves, not everyone at once and overwhelm the healt care system like what apparently happened in Italy. I wonder how long can all these precautions be kept, though.
    We have only a little over a hundred people with confirmed coronavirus, but from my social media from my friends, I am getting the messages that it is actually rather hard to get tested if one has a suspicion. And if they really want to, they are advised to come to a hospital - by public transport. So although the epidemic is only starting here, the system is already having some trouble. A lot is due to people panicking, though, everyone apparently calling the info lines and hospitals as I heard it is nearly impossible to go through with a call.

...And I better not even get started how people are going crazy with buying food! First it was the stuff like flour and pasta, now all the frest stuff - meat, eggs, veggies, etc. Our premier had to go so far as to go check the storages of some big food chains to confirm to everyone that there is no shortage of food and no need to go on a food shopping spree :D On the other hand, considering how all the schools have been closed, people staying home if they can and restaurants closing in the evening, I guess people just really need to start cooking for themselves.