How has COVID-19 affected your training and other parts of your life?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 11, 2020.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

So I am really bummed out right now. My school's annual tournament has just been cancelled as a precautionary safety measure against the COVID-19 virus. Other schools in our Federation have cancelled tournaments too.

I am glad they are taking our safety that seriously, but it still bums me out. Been training for it since the beginning of the year.

I heard other school's in our Federation up north are not allowing any combatives or two person training right now. We haven't gotten to that yet.

Our usual handshake is on hold right now. They have always been very cleanly, but there is even more cleaning/ disinfecting going on. Students and instructors are to go home if not feeling well. They will actually send a student home who is sick. I mean sick students and instructors would not touch someone or be in classes close to students before, but would show up to work out sometimes. Or do a private lesson without getting too close to the instructor.

This is also true at my work. The managers are to tell someone showing up sick they should go home. The sick person has the right to refuse to, but the manager has to call health authorities.

In the USA, some people will show up sick because they don't get paid sick leave. Or their supervisors pressure them to not call in sick when sick. It is a USA culture thing that perhaps needs to be reviewed, for even after this thing settles down.

My Grand Master was planning a big trip for people to go to China. That was cancelled awhile ago. My GM is stuck in China right now. I am guessing he can't come to the US without being quarantined? Even though he is healthy. He seems to be stuck not going out much, which is very unlike him.

Which means some advanced testing is on hold as GM does the advanced tests in our Federation.

Curious to know what is going on with others here.

axelb and Nachi like this.
  2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I was able to attend a big seminar we had this weekend. Luckily. Yesterday, the government cancelled all one time events with expected attendance of over 100 people. Starting today, all schools and universities are closed with the exception of kindergardens. In reaction to that, sensei cancelled our karate classes as well.

I got an email taichi is still going on, at least for now. But considering I have a cough for a month and a half now, which I can't get rid of, I am not sure if I will be going there to freak people out...

There is going to be a big karate seminar in Slovakia the weekend of March 20th. Slovakia probably still allows sport events, but I am kind of sceptical things will stay like that.
    National gasshuku in Italy in April was cancelled, of course. I wasn't going to go there, though.

For now I guess I'll just be staying home, trying to solve out my cough. And hopefully will push myself to do some training.

So yes, coronavirus has arrived to the Czech Republic maybe not sooner than last week, but it is already affecting the going-ons here.

axelb likes this.
  3. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Our annual tournament has been cancelled as well. I’m really bummed out about it because my schedule is very unpredictable, so I can’t always say “I’ll just compete next year”.

It’s usually pretty unlikely that I’m even around to compete, let alone have a few months to actually train to prepare.

Who knows how many good years I’ll have left to actually compete.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I honestly think this will buckle the US severely because at the very least all the people without healthcare/can't afford to get tested (yes, the US is charging their citizens to test for the virus).

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I thought the testing kit is free but the doctors time for the test depends on your health care provider :):p
    So the £20 kit is free but you get charged thousands for the doctors time :)

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The kit is free, but the Dr and the private lab running the kit also charges!

7. Dead_pool

And no sick pay for many customer facing jobs, it'll spread hard and fast!

8. aaradia

Yeah, that is another thing. I heard on the news 3 people were kicked off a plane for a reaction to a coughing fellow flyer on a plane. The flyer had allergies.

I have a chronic dry cough. Have had it for years. Various Dr's have not solved it yet. (Next step is to start trying allergy shots.) I worry about people thinking I am sick and out and about. But I am not, it is some allergy/ irritant issue.

Everyone who coughs is not ill with coronavirus. But people are getting panicky and that is another side issue to all this.

axelb and Nachi like this.
  9. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Indeed. Today, however, I have gotten another cold, it seems, so I guess I really an not going anywhere...

It is crazy to suspect people sick with coronavirus only based on coughing. There are many more common reasons to that. However, yesterday one of my friends posted on her facebook something along the lines of: "And yet a woman coughing still dares to get on a bus."

Well, some things can't be avoided...

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A guy came into my college class yesterday with full flu symptoms. I kept my distance from him all day. I don't worry about getting sick but I worry about my mum catching it. She has had respiratory issues in the past.

11. Dead_pool

Bare in mind, what you think it just a cough, may actually be the virus!

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Was nice for the UK government to make the temporary changes to statutory but it still only works out at £40 a week. I know I sure as hell can't afford to take a sick day any month, yet alone 2 weeks off. I work in a shop with a majority elderly customer base too and it sucks I have to admit I'd rather take that risk than be unable to pay rent and food.

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

I think it's 94 quid a week, but yes it's still too low, so instead there's going to be a higher death rate amoungst the over 60s.

Still they only have themselves to blame, they constantly vote for the party which has created this economic situation.

Does your job not offer sick pay? I'd be too scared to train without it

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

How has COVID-19 affected your training and other parts of your life?

No.

15. Dead_pool

You probably should be, you know.

16. Dead_pool

The entire UK may come to regret Sunak’s inadequate coronavirus budget

Ireland have done far more for the sick pay issue.

17. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

"other parts of your life?"

I'm in IT and everybody is panicking and wanting to have ways to work from home. I'm setting up laptops, testing Chromebooks, looking a specs for other laptops so about 500 people can work from home...so..I guess I can say it is keeping pretty darn busy....and I am so very tired of telling people I have been diagnoses with a sinus infection and it is NOT the coronavirus that I am now telling them I have Dengue fever....

Training, no effect, I can't go anywhere to train at the moment due to the ding dang knees.

axelb likes this.
  18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Training hasn't been affected though I expect that the courses in Europe will be (not that I could get to one anyway). I've seen one Facebook post from a climbing wall saying that everything is normal until they're told it's not.

However, I work in a supermarket so I'm dealing with hundreds of people some shifts and it's only a matter of time until someone in the trade comes down with it. The plus side though is that the deliveries are going through the roof to cope with all of the idiots stockpiling so my cardio is almost back to Christmas levels :D

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm following Govt advice, so classes continue, but I'm asking all students to wash hands before entering the room. We have a confirmed case nearby and one parent has pulled their child from class.

The reality is that within a month we will all know someone who has/has had it. It will become commonplace.

I'll continue as normal, with sensible precautions, until schools and leisure centres close, at which point my clubs will close too, until their venues reopen. I see that as being when, not if.

icefield and Vince Millett like this.
  20. aaradia

Not always. Not often - at least not yet where I live. Some of us have allergies and have had a cough for years. I know others who have allergy coughs too. Throat irritations, post nasal drip causing coughs.

I heard three people got kicked off a plane for their behavior towards someone with a cough on a plane. He had allergies.

I swear I am as scared of people's panicky reactions as the actual virus. More-so at this point actually.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020