How hard is it to become proficient in weapons based arts compared to physical fighting ones?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Flyingknees, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

And what do you think pharmaceutical companies put into vaccines?

I'd really like to know, call it your chance to make me an anti anti anti vaxxer!

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, I'm ambivalent about it.

There are positives and negatives, but at the end of the day you're learning transferrable skills either way.

aaradia likes this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

There's definitely an argument for that, as well as making the principles of leverage more obvious in takedowns and throws, and giving an easier way to see angles and openings.

But with good instruction you should be getting this stuff unarmed as well.

Also, depending on the weapon there might be things that don't translate so well to unarmed fighting, such as edge alignment, "dead" areas of a weapon etc.. I also think that going from unarmed to armed gives a better holistic perspective when it comes to clinch and grappling: seeing outside of weapon fixation, knowing when it is advantageous to drop your weapon etc..

Doing both seems like the ideal answer.

Flying Crane likes this.
  4. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Absolutely should be getting it in regular instruction, but I find that working with weapons makes it much more obvious if you already understand the concept. A real sword gets heavy very quickly if you are swinging it with the arm and shoulder. But if you engage the body as a unit, you can keep on going for much longer before you tire. That’s a lesson you don’t forget.

David Harrison likes this.