How hard is it to become proficient in weapons based arts compared to physical fighting ones?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Flyingknees, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

Transcendental logic is logic that transcends the parameters of whatever logic is operating. Simple, right?
    Existential logic is the logic of existence.
    Thus, it is the logic of existence as it transcends the operable logic at any given point and time.

If one takes matter to be self-evident, one has to take the one experiencing such matter as to be self-evident at the same time. It is entangled. This is due to the fact that one cannot remark on one's own experiences without the experiencing.

2. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

Recognition of this entangled experienced - experiencer transcends the rationalization of the apprehended experience (environment) and is of course existential.
    EDIT: The sum is greater than the parts here.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Is anyone else thinking of the same EastEnders/Kant joke I am?

;)

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod warning: I am seeing personal attacks by multiple people. Keep it civil! Stick to debating the topic and not attacking each other. Future violations may very well end in mod action- including bans.

5. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

I would highly suggest learning the staff, the long style and short style. Learning both of these styles will help you learn leg and foot movement, upper body movement, and hand movement. The long and short style will also help you with the variety of sizes, and lengths of weapons. Keep in mind that certain weapons will have a different flow to them, such as sword, you will feel with certain swords that the front end leads the flow, and the back end guides the flow. The staff may not help you completely with all weapons, but it will help with most.

Flyingknees likes this.
  6. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

I will agree with you, there is the possibility that one can toughen their body to resist a cut. I have seen videos of a man pressing a sword against his body, and then bending the sword. I do not know if that was phony or real, but who am I to judge, there are amazing things that the body can do.

7. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Different parts of the body have naturally thicker skin than other parts. The soles of the feet and palms of the hands are examples, while the skin of the wrists would be an example of naturally thinner skin. To some degree you can thicken the skin of the soles of the feet by remaining barefoot much of the time, and the palms can be toughened through hard work like carpentry or stone laying and such. But don’t fool yourself into believing that one can toughen skin in a way that makes it effectively resistant to being cut. Especially on most of the body where the skin is naturally thinner. Anyone who thinks they can systematically toughen the skin on the body to a degree that is protective against cuts, is engaging in a fantasy.

8. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

LOL, I agree, I was just trying to relate to him that some things are possible, but who am I to judge. I was trying to say, in a polite manner, be careful what you believe. That is why I gave the example of the man bending the sword, just because you see a video, does not mean it is real.

9. Flying Crane

Ok but, as far as who are you to judge? I’ll tell you: You are someone who ought to be able to use good common sense. Don’t encourage people in such fantasies. When you know it’s dangerous, say so.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2022
    aaradia and icefield like this.
  10. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

What fantasy, and how was I encouraging anything? You may want to re-read exactly what I was saying, and how I was saying it. I would apologize if I said something wrong, but I did not. So please read carefully before you go telling someone they are wrong, and have an attitude.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Chill out @Yanli. It's a fair observation being made.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

[]
    You said "I will agree with you, there is the possibility that one can toughen their body to resist a cut." It's hard not to read that any other way than you posted it

13. Flying Crane

Everything you said in post #126 encourages the notion that it is possible to toughen the skin to effectively resist cuts. That is pure fantasy and you are saying essentially that it might be possible, and who are you to judge. Go re-read what you posted.

aaradia likes this.
  14. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Not really, I stated that it is a "POSSABILITY", I will not claim to be an expert on resisting cuts, I have seen the body do incredible things. Who am I to say what can and can not be done. What if I took a positive stance that it can not be done, then I would get attacked by those that feel it can be done, I take a neutral stance by saying "possibility," and I still get attacked. So no, it was not a fair observation, its a damned if you do, and a damned if you don't! I try and be as respectful and polite as possible, I try not to tell people directly that they are wrong, I try giving a different view point or perspective, but people just want to say your wrong, and sometimes with an attitude.

15. Flying Crane

You are pandering to nonsense. You take the position that you refuse to judge the possibility? That is nonsense and you know it.

Now to be fair, I doubt anyone here is naive enough to believe this so in the big picture, calling you out on this probably is immaterial. But seriously, use your head.

16. Flyingknees

Flyingknees New Member

Thanks. What weapons and styles do you train in yourself and for how long?

17. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Ok, how is not judging nonsense, be specific, can anyone here say that they are aware of every single abilities that the human body is capable of. Well I am not bold enough or ignorant enough to say that I am. I have seen incredible things that most people would think is impossible. But seriously, you use your head, I clearly stated I was trying to be polite and not tell him he is wrong, I will just accept the "PASSABILITY", now what part of that or anything else that I said was wrong or incorrect. So you use your head and READ everything and try to understand EXACTLY what I was politely stating before you have the rude mentality to disrespect someone, especially when they try to be more polite and respectful then you.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Last warning @Yanli. Keep it cool.

Typing in capitals is considered shouting, so politeness works both ways.

19. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Yes it does, and I tried being polite, but I got an attitude, so I gave one back, but I see you made no comment to him for his disrespect to me.

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Disagreement is not disrespect, neither is it "giving an attitude".