How hard is it to become proficient in weapons based arts compared to physical fighting ones?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Flyingknees, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Again you are incorrect.

The difference between science and religion is that religion is based on conviction and faith, while science is based on understanding and trust in the scientific process. Understanding becomes clearer with new knowledge, conviction does not. Criticism and testing are at the hart of the scientific process. Faith on the other hand is a suspension of criticism.

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

Lizards Undergo Rapid Evolution After Introduction To A New Home
    I guess developing organ structures and head morphology in response to available food sources is just fiction.

Scientists don't believe in self-determination, right? Only superdeterminism.

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

faith

a.
    Belief in God or in a set of religious doctrines.
    b. A set of religious doctrines; a body of dogma: adhered to the Muslim faith.
    c. often Faith Christianity Secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will viewed as a theological virtue.
    2. Confident or unquestioning belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. See Synonyms at belief, trust.
    3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters; refused to break faith with his friends.

Again you are incorrect.

The difference between science and religion is that religion is based on conviction and faith, while science is based on understanding and trust in the scientific process. Understanding becomes clearer with new knowledge, conviction does not. Criticism and testing are at hart of the scientific process. Faith on the other hand is a suspension of criticism.

Note: I am not querying the soundness of your mind. I am querying the validly and rigour of your statements.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If your talking free will, that's less science and more philosophy, the concept is originally a medieval Catholic one, I don't find that a useful way to asses evidence, as it's definitely not a clear cut subject.

I'm reading Thomas Hobbes at the moment, but there's a lot more to the subject then that.

5. Dead_pool

Tom bayley likes this.
  6. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

This has nothing to do with the difference between mitochondrial and DNA inheritance. Where are you getting this pretense from?

I'm not speaking of religion. Religion is organized. I am thinking. You are convinced of something that does not originate from the evidential reality, hence you do not have understanding but faith. Fool. Criticism is indeed necessary but you are not listening to it, hence your faith.
    Free will is not a catholic concept holy crap! Just because self-volition is not "clear cut" doesn't make it non-existent and irrelevant to evolution, wow. Reread that man.

7. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

yes rapid evolution is taught but the explanation for it is wrong, coming from you at least.
    Observation: Rapid evolution.
    Explanation: Genes!?
    or
    Explanation: Teleological primary cause (survival), means to end causally second.

8. Dead_pool

Are we talking about populations here or individuals?

Do lizards have free will?

Your being very irrational, which from a Hobbes perspective, may mean you have more free will then a completely rational man.

If free will exists at all, given that the religious are prone to believing in telology, and you are religious, therefore you have less free will then the scientists do.

I'm free to change my mind, your not.

9. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

You can not avoid the interconnection of self-volition or "free will" and biological determination. For it to be will it necessarily has power.

10. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

What is religion to you? Free will? Thinking for oneself? Challenging the free will of scientists? Free will necessarilly has power or it is not will.

11. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

You didn't answer the question either. Evidently you chose not to.
    Where does self-determination begin and end for you? Speak for yourself.

12. Dead_pool

It was popularised by the Catholic philosophers, ever wonder what the Adam and Eve story was about?

For someone religious you do seem to be ignorant of its philosophical basis and history.

13. Dead_pool

Have you either

A) been reading too much Nietzsche
    Or
    B) are off your meds?

14. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

"Popularized". That one decides and acts according to their own will doesn't require someone else telling them to be known to them. No one believes that they have no self-volition, and it requires an act of will to believe so. Do you really have 0 self knowledge? Do you not exist? What am I talking to, a chat bot?
    Do you really think your conscious existence is a psychological illness? Am I misreading this? By deciding to lift your arm you have biologically, physically, forcefully determined some state of matter, yes? Or do you not exist?

15. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

Why do you people call yourself martial artists when you can't overcome your own weakness of existential doubt? This is ridiculous to put it lightly.

16. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

None of you will progress if you cannot become an "original cause". You shall forever be meek sheep lead by shepherds and preyed upon by wolves. You cannot even register your own will, your volitional force. How can you progress as such? It will be a terrible burden and cripple your ability to achieve.

17. Dead_pool

And why would I decide that, if there were rational reasons, then I didn't decide it, if there were irrational reasons, then my madness was the reason, either way the prime mover wasn't me, it was something else.

But we're getting away from how you are chatting online through the wonders of science, to people all over the world, saying you don't believe in science.

Perhaps you should take a break, and see your doctor about your lithium dose?

18. Dead_pool

Says the man who trains on his own via YouTube.

Can you see how your thoughts, and reality arnt matching at the moment.

Why do you think that is?

19. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The only way to overcome existential doubt is to pick some arbitrary belief to shield yourself from it.

Living with the undeniable fact that we cannot, at present, conclusively prove that we have free will, or that we exist in the form we perceive, is an act of maturity. Pretending that you hold the answers to the mysteries of life by clinging onto some unfalsifiable nonsense is acting like a frightened child, unable to cope with the uncertainties of life.

No wonder you don't want to train with real people, they may burst this comfortable bubble you have made for yourself.

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

"Why would I decide that" that you decide or not is the question. If there is no rational reason, is it base material process or consciousness?