How far would you go...

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by morphus, Oct 5, 2002.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Re: MORPHUS

I can take a decent low kick to the shin and I've never done any pure conditioning exercises. Just conditioned through general sparring/training etc

What shin conditioning do you do?

I think mosts peoples problem will be not knowing how to deal with a good low kick, being in the wrong stance, not knowing how to take the kick or even trying to take with a hand/arm block! :eek:

2. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

I do a bit of conditioning, mainly makiwara training which primary function is not to condition the knuckles but it certainly has the right effect.
    Conditioning has a high degree of mental toughness involved. I don't mean you condition yourself till you bleed and can no longer use that limb but like someone said it is time consuming and to continue with it takes mental endurance.
    I do like to train hard and realistically but I generally try to avoid blows than meet them head on. If you kicked me in the knee my leg will break. If I take it on my shin then with the adrenalin pumping I would PROBABLY be able to come back for more. Although I am aware how much this hurts!!!!

3. AllOutWar

AllOutWar New Member

MORPHUS

I kick the bag 100 times a leg maybe 150 if I'm having a good day........ I know there is people out there who do 500 times a leg a day, I haven't got there yet! If you were born with hard shins why not thank god for the gift and make them harder? You may not feel the need to do it now but if you ever get into it with someone with hard ass shins it may be too late.

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

i think, i would only condition my body, if i were entering competition or something.

By conditioning i mean toughening shins and other parts of the body using external force ie: sticks on to bone etc.

The only body conditioning i do is cardio training , sit ups, press ups, hitting a heavy bag - nothing that i would call extreme.

5. AllOutWar

AllOutWar New Member

hitting your legs with sticks is not needed! if you hit the bag thats good enough. if you wanted to enter comp you may want to increase how many times you hit the bag. hitting your legs with sticks deadens nerves and toughens the skin but hitting the bag is more productive besides tough skin won't stop your shin from breaking

6. khafra

khafra New Member

I would supplement sensory and motor nerves with fiber optics if the technology was available and reliable. I'd replace at least one eye with a CCD that had a denser dot pitch and supported more wavelengths. I don't think I'd get an Adamantium-laced skeleton, though.

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

We get hit with sticks when we practice Sanchin No Kata, and sometimes on gradings to test muscle tension. The idea is that your body should be in enough tension that the stick is meant to break on you. I've ached like nothing else after practicing that kata, (not from being hit). I believe that a lot of conditioning is mental, that you have to train your mind to overcome pain. The phyiscal side comes later, but its more important.

Morphus, what do you consider extreme?

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Count me in :D

I usually find it more fun to spar with my partner and I know I can't beat him ;)

Sparring with ppl as experienced or with lesser experience is boring at least to me, when sparring with him my alertness and determination are maximised, and my mind is centered in sparring otherwise I might as well have a broken nose for having my guard down :D

|Cain|

9. Cain

Cain New Member

As for conditioning, I don't have the b***s to hit my shins with sticks though I will get to that level soon...

But I use the heavy bag regularly, I have kept a seperate bag full of sand, VERY tough and heavy can't even lift the damn thing instead I just keep it on the floor and practise my low kicks on it, hard to hit with full power with your shins....getting to that level...

|Cain|

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Don't - it's stupid. Just kick the bag - and not a hard sand bag - a regular heavy bag. If you want to increase the intensity - kick it harder & more often.

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Isn't there a lot to be said for buidling muscle surrounding the shin for prtection anyway rather than ocnditioning?

12. Cain

Cain New Member

It can be done but IMHO it's no substitute for conditioning...

|Cain|

13. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Hmmmm interesting though. I remember when I first started training clashing shins and the following pain was commonplace.

Now it rarelt, if ever, ocours although clashing still does.

When I feel down my shin it's like a knobbled ridge.

To be fair the only 'conditioning' 've done is continued clashing I suppose!

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

When people talk about conditioning, I get flashbacks of Jean Claud Van Dam Kicking trees till they snap :p

Is there different terms for different conditioning, ie kicking bags as opposed to pure conditioning such as hitting shins with sticks etc.

A lot of training could be classed as conditioning, but many wouldn't class it that way.

Another problem with conditioning is that its not permanent. Recently I ended up with some bruises on my arms, a few years ago when we practised those WC techniques a lot more I didn't get a single bruise.....

15. AllOutWar

AllOutWar New Member

TOSH SPICE

Isn't there a lot to be said for buidling muscle surrounding the shin for prtection anyway rather than ocnditioning?

bUILDING MUSCLE AROUND THE SHIN WILL CAUSE MUSCLE PAIN WHEN HIT IN THE SHIN.It's been said a millino and one time but hitting the bag is still the best way. If you do 100 kicks a leg a day then make it 125 150 or if you don't kick the bag every day I,d start there. I personally start the first 25-30 light building up by 30 though I lay into every time. I don't know how you personally hit the bag but I found that as soon as you hit the bag and your foot touches the floor you hit it again. it will definetly increase your kick speed and will give you that twitch kick. 2 weeks you should see results if you hit the bag every day. also jumping rope before you hit the bag is a great warm up and I think the impact of jump roping helps make your shins denser

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yeah - one is called training and the other is called ignorance.

17. AllOutWar

AllOutWar New Member

Yoda's got it covered

..........but I'd like to add you don't have to be sadistic when you train!Knowing your limitations and taking it to the next level is fine but you don't have to be crazy!

18. stump

stump Supersub

pgm I just realised you asked this question months ago and I never replied....where are my manners??? Actually, on second thoughts don't ask !! :)

Bag work is my main method of conditioning shins and also the process of blocking kicks with or without shin pads on. Used to practise taking kicks to the ribs for body conditioning but I get enough of them when I spar so I don't need to do that anymore!!!! Aside from that sparring helps you prepare to be able to take a smack and continue. I used to do the arm conditioning exercises from kung fu (smacking arms together) but I don't see them as much use anymore

19. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree, thats enough conditioning for the average martial artist. Although theres not many average martial artists on here ;)

I think Yoda summed it up well as usual :D

To sum up; in the short term heavy conditioning is probably effective, but in time it will wear off and leave you in a worse condition than you would have been normally.

20. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Re: TOSH SPICE

So you are saying this is a bad idea? Interesting.

So are you saying if you had more muscle in that area you are likely to have more pain when it is hit??

Does this generalise to the rest of the body?

By definition the more muscle in an area that is struck the more pain the opponent will recieve? regardless of the strength of the kick?