How does aikido calm the mind?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by HammockRider, Nov 8, 2011.

1. HammockRider

HammockRider Valued Member

Hello Everyone,

Like the title says I'd like to know how aikido calms the mind. Right now I'm having a little trouble with anxiety, including panic attacks and the like. I'm seeing a doc for it and even taking some meds. I'm also trying yoga. They help but I've read that some martial arts help develop a calm mind and I'm interesting in practicing one. I can see how something like tai chi can help calm you, with the slow rhythmic movements and breathing. But aikido, with its throw and joint locks seems counter-intuitive, to this non-practitioner, to a calm mind.

Sorry for the long preface but I wanted to put the question in context.

Thanks.

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Joe,

I think that the 'calm mind' refers to the state of mind that a practitioner strives for so that the techniques are relaxed and intuitive. The training (especially as a beginner) is not designed to teach a 'calm mind' - you are right that Yoga or Tai Chi (although that will depend on the type of Tai Chi and the instructor) is a better bet for learning to be calm.

3. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Aikido training teaches us to relax our bodies, which can definitely help calm the mind.

Beyond that, any activity that focuses our awareness on the present moment (in aikido we call this zanshin; I like to use the Buddhist term "mindfulness") can help us let go of things that cause us stress or anxiety.

4. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

I think all MA "calm the mind" if you are training hard enough. As soon as I step onto the mat, I forget about problems at work, mortgage payments etc and just focus on the training. It's easy to focus on the matter at hand when someone is swinging a bokken at your head or has you flying to the floor!

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I agree that training is a great way to remove oneself from outside worries and I also agree that you certainly focus on the matter at hand :)

However, I don't think that most martial arts necessarily teach one how to be calm... I suppose a better question for the OP who said "I'm having a little trouble with anxiety, including panic attacks and the like." Is what is causing the attacks as that might give a clue as to what might help resolve them.

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

In general I'd say it's the mode of training. The method of gradually adding pressure as the student becomes more competent. The repetitive nature of kata based training. Some styles of Aikido like Ki Aikido also focus quite a bit on the mind and use meditative techniques and exercises.

7. HammockRider

Thanks for all the answers guys. It kind of confirmed what I was already thinking. I'm not really looking for aikido to be a "magic bullet" for my anxiety. I'm addressing those issues in several ways. However, after having done an MA in the past and finding it a postive experience wanted to take it up again.

I'd read many articles about how aikido can have a calming or centering effect on its practitioners and thought I might kill two birds with one stone. I could study a martial art and even further complement my anxiety treatment at the same time.

If I read you guys right it seems aikido is no more beneficial to one's mindset, at least in the short run, than most other martial arts. And that's fine. As long as I'm training in something I've found I tend to live a much better lifestyle. This begs and interesting question. Which, if any martial arts are most beneficial to one's mindset or attitude? That's food for another thread maybe.

8. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Forgive the implication, but why do you have two accounts, from the looks of things (ChicagoJoe and HammockRider)? I'm pretty sure that they're both you as you've posted the same question and thread on MartialTalk under the HammockRider name.

9. HammockRider

No problem Chris it was just a stupid mistake on my part. The mods have merged the accounts and now I'm back tojust good old HammockRider again.

10. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Cool, thought it was something like that (or doing my trick, forgetting your password....) I gave an answer on MT, if you haven't seen it.

11. HammockRider

I did and I appreciate it. Thanks.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends on the mindset you want really. If you want a mindset like "I'm getting out of this alive." then something like Krav Maga would give you this.

On the lip side, if you wanted "Aaaah, peace with the world." Then maybe Tai Chi (non-combat form, before somebody jumps down my throat about it).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  13. HammockRider

That's a good point Chadderz. I guess each MA can emphasize something different. There are so many choices sometimes I feel like I'm at a buffet trying to decide what to pick first.

14. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

hammockrider, this is an interesting thread.

hmmmm. this is a case of "missing the forest through the trees".

aikido, tai chi, yoga.... the training won't teach you to achieve a state of calm that you cannot already achieve on your own. what it will do is teach you how to exert yourself without raising your existing stress level.

this is not to say such training doesn't aid in reducing stress. it does. but then, so does almost any kind of physical training (that your body is medically capable of).

the ability to act under pressure without significantly raising your stress level WILL be a skill that crosses over into other parts of your daily life. in this regard, you will be learning to manage stress, thus lowering your overall stress level over time. you won't necessarily see this benefit in the dojo. you'll notice it over time in other walks of life.

hopefully this helps.

thanks

15. HammockRider

Thanks lorenzo, I never thought of stress management as a skill before. When you actually think about it though, I suppose any type of management is a skill you can learn and improve on.

16. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

17. HammockRider

Thanks Shang Chi we've got a Zen Buddhist temple in town and I was thinking of checking it out for the zazen. Those links provided some very interesting reading.

Love the avatar. he's definitely an under-utilized character.

18. TheSource1969

TheSource1969 Valued Member

I find walking meditation helps with my anxiety. Watching tv and too much sex can make anxiety worse.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Meditation-Thich-Nhat-Hanh/dp/1591794730/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326677297&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Walking Meditation (9781591794738): Thich Nhat Hanh, Anh-Huong Nguyen: Books[/ame]

http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7753