How do YOU train?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Terri63, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

What I mean is...do you train in silence or with music? How do you motivate yourself? what is your state of mind? alone or in the dojo...(I guess both) what does your routine consist of? does it change? I'd be intersted to hear...

2. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Alone i like to have some music. especially during work out routines, when i'm working on techniques i'm not impartial to either, cuz my attention in fully on the technique. though a little beat perhaps may help my focus.
    in the club i obviously have all my attention on the teacher, so don't want any music there.

Motivation's a lot tougher. i find it harder to motivate myself to START working out, though once i pick up those weights, i complete the routine.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It varies. I usually dose myself with coffee first, and I like loud music when I'm working out.

4. rivend

rivend Valued Member

No headphones outside doing aerobics for safety reasons just a personal choice I see people with headphones on riding their bikes and it is not wise in my opinion.As for music you can usually time some strenuous exercise or shadow boxing to the length of a song and will give you 3 or 4 minutes of concentrated workout for your stamina.

For some people on a treadmill or stationary bike using music makes time go faster and it is less boring.I will listen to music if I ride a stationary bike for more than 30 minutes.

5. Russ_1UK

Russ_1UK Valued Member

I listen to music on the treadmill. Takes my mind off the the pain when my lungs begin to feel like empty crisp packets.

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Strong coffee; loud heavy metal; decent training partner, ideally.

LOL @ the "empty crisp packets" comment. :D

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Like a lot of people have already stated, it varies with what I do. If I'm doing a more skill-oriented session, I train alone in a quiet place or with a serious partner and we don't chat much we just work out. For running I like to listen to music, same with strength training. For more relaxed things like static stretching, I'll sit there and watch TV while I do it.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I tend to listen to podcasts in the gym.

In a karate class, I listen to the instructor or my partner.

9. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I listen to the voices in my head ;)

10. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

If I'm training on my own I'll probably listen to some (hardcore) punk, or anything else loud fast and abrasive, but I'd say nearly 99% of my training now is with one or more partners

11. martialmartian

martialmartian Valued Member

I think it's useful to set a pace when running, in fact I NEED it for running.... and I like it in the background when lifting weights though am happy to do so in silence... It's always on at thai boxing during warmups/cardio type stuff but I can't for the life of me remember if it's on otherwise.... so it mustn't be a big deal for me when I'm doing pads and rounds... good question though....

12. FRT

FRT Valued Member

Routine; Monday and Thursday; Thai Boxing 5-6 pm, JKD MMA 7-9. Tuesday; Core work 5-6pm, JKD MMA 7-9. Wednesday; Thai Boxing and MMA 7-9. Saturday; Open Mat from 10-12pm.

As for weights, I stick with compound and power lifts. Squats, deadlifts, cleans, and thrusters are a staple. Bodyweight, lots of pullups, pushups, abwork, and squats. For cardio, if not actual MA technique, it has to be Crossfit style workouts. Workouts like a ten minute round of 10 deadlifts and 5 pullups, repeated. And never forget the stretching. Music is nice sometimes, but silence is nice too because it forces you to be where you are, instead of zoning out into the song. More focus on what you are doing.

Train Harder!

13. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Heavy. Frequently. Mostly full body and 90% compound movements. Squatting and/or dead lifting 2-4x a week.

5 explosive reps or less generally for big movements, 5-12 controlled reps with a hold for supporting and stabilizing muscles.

Lots of eccentric-less training; heavy sled work, medicine ball throws/slams, sandbag throws, heavy bag flips, various jumps, etc.

Loads of soft tissue work, activation work, and mobility work: about 5x a week.

MMA once a week.

My wife and I usually work out as the gym closes when nobody is there and blast loud music on the speakers.

14. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Mostly body weight exercises like pull-ups, push-ups, side plank. Power yoga, which is yoga performed at speed in a heated room. While doing it, the goal is to clear your mind. It is moving meditation and it calms me greatly. Also great for flexibility, strength, cardio, and balance. Exercise bike and stand-alone bag for more cardio/interval. And of course, walking kilometer after kilometer while teaching, where I am focusing entirely on the needs of the students (no music here). MMA classes sometimes. Grappling/sparring with my students. I don't see a need for mass at my age. Want to stay lean and healthy and extend my teaching career into old age. Getting there fast. Like cosmic fish says, "strong coffee and loud music" helps greatly.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  15. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

On the way to the gym rob palmer, white snake and drum and bass.
    At the gym I don't pay any attention, it's usually crap or muted.

At boxing whatever is on or nothing, sometimes the radio some times typical 'Ibiza dance'

Training is Monday: back squats, box jumps and sprints
    Pm: boxing
    Tuesday uppebody with a focus on explosive type movements (push press, cleans etc.
    Wednesday: fairly light back squats front squats and heavy rack pulls.
    Thurs: boxing
    Friday: Deadlifts followed with complexes.
    Sat is a conditioning class where we push cars an vans on a beach, do sprints, carry each other, spar in the soft sand etc, it's mainly eccentric less.
    Sunday I chill out.

No problems at all for motivation, I train because I love doing it.
    It changes when I de-load when I play with a kettle bell, run around, throw stuff, climb stuff and just **** about outdoors with heavy stuff.

16. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Mondays: Class so no music
    Tuesdays: Back, Biceps, Traps - LOTS of rather loud music. I lift alone so I tend to lose myself in the tunes.
    Wednesday: Class again
    Thursday: Legs, Abs - tunes, tunes tunes!!
    Fridays: Chest, Triceps and Medial Delts - again, stereo's kickin!
    Saturday: Nothing
    Sunday: Stretching, practice technique.

17. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

Depends. From training to training.

Music? Sometimes i like silence. Sometimes meditative music. And sometime Billy Idol or Bon Jovi. I

Routine? It is always the same four part structure of the training: warm up, strecthing, main part, cool down. Main part is different ofcourse, depends what i do. It maybe taekwondo or hapkido, sparring, self defense, breaking, or forms, or condiotional training, cardiovascular or with weights..bla bla.

18. bajie

bajie Valued Member

Alone with fitness stuff, I usally start with music, but if I am using free weights then music starts doing my head in and I start to listen to the news on Radio 4 or a radio documentary as the pace of weights is slower.

In class, there is never any music, just the grunts of sweaty men in various states of pain and discomfort.

19. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Me. With weights always comes loud music. Mainly on ipod so I can go as loud as I want. I train at home so there is no need to worry about getting in people's way. Conditioning stuff is the same. I try as much as possible not to do any running as I hate it so it's all circuits for me.

Stretching every night but is generally done in front of the tv or in a room with no sound at all. I find that an easier environment to concentrate in.

In class there is obviously no music.