How do you respond to threats

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ShadowHawk, Aug 10, 2014.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I just keep my mouth shut until it gets physical. If I can I try talking sense into the person , I do.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Valued Member MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends on the threat really. Are we talking death threat, threatened over the phone, a person being physically threatening or what?

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Highly Skilled Peeper Supporter

You're being threatened by another man where he is telling you he is going to tie you down to your bed and rub Crisco on your toes for hours until he decides he's satisfied.

4. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

This is an MA forum. One on one fight threat obviously

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

He said THREAT, Ero, not treat

6. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

7. belltoller

Dontcha wish sometimes Belltoller n Ero would just disappear ?

8. belltoller

Getting back to the thread, it does depend on the situation. I canna say that I've ever been in a situation, as an adult, where I was being threatened in a strictly one-on-one setting. Group dynamics were always at play in someway or another. Its usually that need to increase one's esteem in the hierarchy that fuels the desire to make threats to begin with.

Though not always.

Response? "Have a nice day" [circumstances allowing]

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Once again, depends on the threat and situation. Also how serious I take it.

If a threat is not taken seriously, then its not a threat. Its just words out of a mouth.

I've had threats to be killed, shot, stabbed etc...sometimes from drunk idiots, others just angry person I never met before. But mostly its because I'm kicking people out from somewhere.

If we're talking about a threat to fight me, I just roll my eyes and say "whatever". Admittedly coming from a bit of arrogance, I know that from my training and from a quick up and down assessment of the person threatening to hit me, he isn't going to stand a chance.
    At the same time, I HAVE to have this mindset if it actually comes to blows.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not sure that was obvious Shadowhawk. I've been threatened by a group of four. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that. And "fight" could mean some dude puffing his chest out at a party trying to impress someone. It could mean a drug-addicted mugger with a knife. It's hardly as simple as all that.

In other words, someone saying that it depends on the threat is both relevant and logical as a response.

11. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Either of those would have been valid, close combat melee , does not have to be one on one

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Then answering for myself, it's really only happened once. Four guys, one with a baseball bat (and no baseball). Three in front of me, and one circling around to the side. I did all the usual "we're not looking for trouble" stuff. My girlfriend inconveniently bear hugged me and started pulling me backward. So I only had my left arm free.

Long story short, the guy made like he was going to punch. Trying to get me to flinch, maybe. I don't know. I did the only thing I could really. I pulled my one free arm up into a guard. I don't know if that made him think I might have been able to handle myself. (I doubt I could have in that situation.) But they promptly said something like "if you're still around when we get back, you're dead."

We left. And I spent the next several weeks Monday morning quarterbacking myself. (Second guessing my every move, for the Brits out there.)

13. belltoller

Thursday morning tippy-tappys :eek:

14. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

1. If you can, defuse the situation...
    2. If you cannot defuse and the threat is credible, I.e. presents serious imminent harm, leave.
    3. If you cannot leave, and the threat is credible, strike preemptively until the threat is gone. But really, unless you are very unlucky, that should hardly ever happen.
    Remember, if someone really wanted to harm you as their first option they would normally just do it rather than warn you with a threat.
    The threat is their way of not fighting because they would rather gain cudos, verbally if they can, before things get physical.
    Then, if it is going to kick off, try to kick off first.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Valued Member MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well depending on the situation I'd most likely diffuse it. Most situations can be defused if it really is just a threat. I mean like 99% of all threats can be diffused. The only people that really want to fight don't threaten you, they just do it.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I honestly don't usually talk at all. If I talk back to the person, I have already decided that I am going to engage them. There was the one situation where the guy staring at me in a way I didn't like I was admittedly in the wrong. It was one of those times where it was wrong place, wrong mood, wrong time. My moods (as most here know) are unpredictable and explosive at times which I don't like, but controlling them is always a work in progress.

Overall I respond very poorly to threats and in many ways I do fear what my reactions will be to certain situations. As someone who has been in therapy for multiple reasons for about 10 years, I have been told that it was best for me to avoid any types of places/people where I feel I might have an issue. Thus I avoid certain areas where I live, bars (I don't drink anyway), I even try to stay off of certain roads for fear of having a road rage issue.

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Obviously it's always context dependent. I can't give you an example of how I'd react as an adult having someone threaten me with a knife because it's not happened to me, for example.

But going on past experiences of death threats, more generic threats of physical harm and the usual chest beating, usually I go strangely formal and polite.

At the same time though I've noticed on a few times I've actually ended up closing the distance with people slightly and taken up a more aggressive posture without realising I've done it (one foot slightly in front of the other, hands drawn in a little more to the "centre line" and up, etc).

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Last time I got threatened I did the worst thing...I laughed. Riled the bloke right up.
    It was such a weird situation that took me off guard I laughed at the ludicrousness of it. It was a natural reaction but the wrong one.
    So I could go on here and say "I'd ignore it but take responsible measures to ensure I was safe without inflaming the situation".
    But then in reality I completely muffed the situation.

19. Spaceman89

Spaceman89 New Member

Just be nice up untill it's time to not be nice. Every person and situation is different you have to judge for yourself when it is right to take action or walk away.

A large number of the altercations I have seen or been involved in could have been avoided had one party simple backed down. Saying sorry even though it is not your fault then just moving on could save so much trouble. Obviously this doesn't always work and that's the time to not be nice.

20. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

This isn't Road House