How do you mentally prepare for test?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Terri63, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

That's my questin..I train in isshin ryu karate...getting eady for green belt test..I believe it all starts in the mind..I am trying to overcome my nerves and not let them get the ebst of me...I am also not good at jugglign several things and muiltitaskign...ie-when there are several thinsg/dramas going on in my life right now..

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

breathe deep ;)

calms your body, calms your mind, and will help oxygenate your muscles, giving you better performance.

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

What Fish said. Take time to understand that whatever you're doing is just a drop in the pond. Pass or fail, you're still the same person, you'll still train like you used to, and either way you will have learnt more about your art and yourself.

Breathe deeply. Try to empty your mind. I find it helpful to close my eyes and imagine one simple object or scene surrounded by total blackness. Just focus on that and let your shoulders drop and your body relax. Then get on with whatever you have to do and give it everything you've got. You can't be annoyed or disappointed with yourself if you gave it 100%.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

What Fish said. Also, difficult as it may be, don't worry about passing. Take that "zen" approach - what will be, will be. As long as you try your best, the rest is already achieved or not achieved by your training.

5. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

You'll be tested on what you do now, in other words your only going to repeat what you have already achieved in your regular classes, with a little more here and there, but basicaly nothing you havent done already.

There is no such thing as failure, every step is a step forward mate

:cool:

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

My main approach is to practice every technique/kata singly , then after each one tell yourself "there you do know it".
    Self doubt is the biggest killer in my experience , so if you can get rid of it everything else just falls into place.

7. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I once graded for a green sash in Hung Gar with a steaming hangover. I wasn't nervous at all because all I cared about was getting back to bed...

You could try that? :hat:

8. Llamageddon

Been there.

9. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I usually convince myself that if I dont pass chinese dragon ninja assassins will kill me in my sleep because my gung-fu is weak.

Then I remind myself that I study a korean art and I suddenly feel much better because KOREAN dragon ninja assassins are wussies.

Seriously though, everyone has touched on great points. Dont be overly concerned with passing. Be more concerned with simply doing whatever is required of you to the best of your ability. No sense in adding the extra pressure as THATS probably what will make you mess up. Stay calm, like you are in any other class. You know this stuff, you've practiced it, just another day in the office so to speak.

For me though, the most important thing is visualization. I SEE myself passing, I engrain the image of my doing well in my mind for days prior to the test. Knock on wood so far its done the trick for me.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

^^^^^

11. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

First step is to listen to the Fish of Doom's advice.

Then, just relax. Unless your sensei is motivated strictly by profit from people paying testing fees, odds are that you're more than ready for the test. Why would he or she want you to test if he or she felt there was a good chance of failure? That's a good way to lose students. You should not be allowed to test until the sensei is convinced you're ready for the test.

Think of the test as more of a rite of passage than an actual test. It is still a challenge, but one for which you have been prepared and one for which your sensei believes that you are ready.

If a significant percentage of people fail their tests and then have to pay another testing fee to test again, I would at least question your sensei's wisdom and motives for allowing the unprepared to test.

In other words: odds are you will pass as long as you trust your sensei's judgement. Your sensei believes you're ready to test. Trust your sensei.

12. Killa_Gorillas

United once again by our common love? no not that one pervert! :eek:

Did you pass?

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I was going to say tequila, it always relaxes me more than deep breathing exercises do.

Seriously? Dont' be your own worst enemy, relax and enjoyt he testing, use it as an example to show off.

14. Llamageddon

I did. To be fair, I've done it so many times in other things I really should have learnt by now. At least a grading is relatively low contact. A Rugby match is not.

Also, you ruddy love it and you know it. Pervert ;)

15. Killa_Gorillas

haha exactly!

I passed mine too and was in fact complimented on my composure!! God bless you Henry Weston.

Incidentally a friend of mine from training was suprised with his 'Iron Man' after a night of heavy drinking and 3hrs hard rolling/driling... he got through it and was prompty sick in a bin. :hat:

16. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

There is no test. There is no pass. There is no fail.

There is only TRAINING!!

Go into your test like you would a regular class. Do what you do and let the chips fall where they may.

17. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

I graded with concussion* once which had much the same effect, people shouting "OFF THE MAT!!!" when you are not even sure which way is up is not helpful. I did manage to make it to the side where someone grabbed a boot (my boot in fact but I'm not sure they knew that) for me to be sick into. My Sensei phoned A&E to tell me that I had passed, complementing me on my far mountain gaze during the kata (enzan no metsuke) but pointing out that I needed to be quicker during kumite. I don't think he ever asked how I was.

*running to a grading is a good idea for relaxation and warming up but watch out for roadsigns while running between poles on the pavement for tai sabaki practice.

18. Killa_Gorillas

LOL you bellend! :hat:

19. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

I think you are going to be nervous no matter what. Just don't let the nerves bother you mentally. Just accept the fact that the nerves will be there, no matter how hard you try to rid yourself of them (Korean Dragon Ninja Assassins indeed), and because you acknowledge you can't do diddly about it, well, don't let those nerves get you down. Was that a run-on sentence?

Regardless, there will be nerves. But don't second guess yourself. Don't trick yourself into mistakes because of nerves, and just try to remind yourself to calm down.

--Me

20. hawkfish

hawkfish Shodan - Shotokan Karate

I can't remember if I was testing for 2nd or 1st Kyu at the time but but my Sensei gave me some testing advice that I will never forget.

Before we can test in my club, we need to have our Sensei's sign our test papers. The day that I asked my Sensei if he would sign my test paper, he asked me if I was ready to test and I said, I am ready and whatever I get, I will be happy with. After he signed the paper, he asked me if I ever failed a test when I was in school and I said, yes, many of them. He said it is only a test and if you fail, it is not the end of the world and you just test again next time.

Having him say that it's only a test totally changed my attitude toward testing going forward. I went into that test and the following tests after that with the mind that "it's only a test" and if I fail, I didn't fail at Karate, I just failed one test. I have never failed a Karate test and I think part of the reason that I never did is because of the advice my Sensei gave me that day.

Good luck at your test and remember to go there with the intention of taking your rank not having them give it to you.