How do you learn?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ranzan, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Just curious how everyone else picks up martial arts. For me I pick out the best in the class/gym (the teacher if I can) and then I proceed to get my **** kick repeatedly, watching it really doesn't help me. I gotta get the moves beat into me. How do you guys do it?

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I'm a pretty slow learner - I need to see the technique done with speed and power first (this is what it looks like), and then several times slowly, and then broken down into parts, the whole thing slowly, and again at speed and power. I then need lots of repetition with a partner and coaching. Luckily, once I "got it", I think I tend to retain it.

3. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Combination of as many mediums as I can. I try to watch the instructor from a few different angles; I try to come up with short saying for each sequence (ex: guard pass- "bicep ride, knee to center, sit back, etc") and repeat them aloud while I'm drilling; if it's the right sort of environment, I'll take notes on what I think are the most important parts are. Obviously, repetition of movement is the primary medium, but I think all these other aspects help retention. When it comes time to spar, I'll sometimes focus on a specific skill I've been working on, like trapping, or foot sweeps, or escape from mount, or whatever. I spent about three months starting off underneath side control last year, and now it's rare that someone can hold me in that position. So sparring with a goal is beneficial. Free-flow is great, but this is how your shore up your weaknesses.

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

The head of the Bujinkan, the first style I practiced where I really felt I was making progress in the martial arts, says to "play like an oni" or "play like a demon". He talks about playing like a cub does in order to learn to hunt.
    I learn best when I'm out there playing mean. Playing tricks, giving little stabs and digs, cuts and trips. Give a little hurt, get a little hurt. I don't try to physically injure my training partners, but a healthy mean spirit on both sides goes a long way towards technical improvement, so long as you can both enjoy the exchange. I don't advocate harassing your training partners in a way that makes them not want to train with you. More like finding someone who can play back and forth like that with you. I owe pretty much all of that to my Bujinkan teacher, even though it's been forever since I've been able to train with him.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm similar to Thomas.

When it comes to forms I've got to see it at full power. Then have it broken down, once I have it, it just sticks. Although I have forgotten a few forms :)

6. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

any way i can,

Teacher, friend, books, videos, sparring

7. SMMA

SMMA Mind-Body-Sprit

I'm a very fast learner, and i seem to learn from all angles. watching, sparring , teaching

8. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Perfect practice makes perfect.

I practice whatever I am trying to learn many times slowly until I am sure I can perform it faster without building bad habits.

This has worked out for me for some of the more complicated Judo throws.

I also learn by having my partner performing throws on me.

It gives me a "feel" of the moves, and I have also pick up ways to counter them.

9. Shawn (Xiao en)

Shawn (Xiao en) Valued Member

I learn by doing friend....

10. jonwade

jonwade Valued Member

yep, watch then do. Then do again, then again, then again, then again ........

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Same here! When I first learn a technique, I have to do it really slowly and talk myself through it. I also find that mentally running through techniques can help.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I was rubbish at remembering forms when I did kung fu, I just had to try and work out what was going there,break it down and spend ages just going through it. However, I remember "applications" far better- I can remember a move say in grappling once I know what it does and I have to look at what is going where when my instructor goes through it then replicate that and drill it constantly.
    Then after getting the technique right I drill it with my opponent resisting more , then add it into rolling etc.
    For some reason even though my memory generally sucks I can remember pretty long sequences on pads, perhaps it was from playing too much "Simon Says" when I was younger:D

Some things I pick up easily but when I struggle to pick something up it takes me bloody ages to get and I think my instructor thinks I am a little "special" :D

13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

for me to remember techniques, it has to be with application, forms I picked up on, but they were applied almost straight away in kungfu system I studied. I was rubbish at forms when I did karate, and even in a few other kungfu systems I learnt, they just showed the moves, and they couldn't show me an application, and saying "well thats a block" isn't an application. It's as if my brain just shut off dismissing the useless moves.

Application, application with resistance, more resistance, and how it is applied in sparring. If it doesn't follow that, I tend to lose the techniques pretty rapidly.

Even when I did 'kata' in judo, I would often get lost because of the 'ritual' bit at the start.

I learnt a fair few wushu forms, and remember parts which I could apply, but there was a lot of bits throughout I had to practise over and over because they made no sense in combat, and therefore in my brain 'expendable'

14. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

A lot of good ways for anyone to try who is struggling.

15. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I think its extremely important to appreciate how each of us experiences our Learning curve and knowing what things will enhance or fool the progress through that curve.

I also think that it is important not to confuse a method for learning with a method for training. For instance, some people are more visual and some are more tactile and some are more intellectual. In these cases, a visual person might come to understand what is being done by having someone Model (perform) the action so that the student can watch how its done. By comparison, a tactile person, will not want to bother watching but just want to do the technique for himself---to get the "feel" for it. An intellectual person will want to "get my head around it" or "understand" why he is doing what he is doing. An auditory person will want to be "talked through it" step by step. Each person has a mix of these different approaches, but usually one approach is more dominant that others.

A good teacher will work to identify what the optimal approach is for a student. BUT---it is also the student's responsibility to track himself, and understand what his OWN optimal approach is, yes?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

16. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

cool application of learning styles in the martial arts.

You a teacher bruce?

17. Bruce W Sims

Yes; I have been teaching and counseling for most of my professional life so I tend to view things through that lens.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

18. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

Either by repetition, or just getting my butt kicked over and over again until I learn how not to.

19. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Watching it done, then performing it. Or seeing it written down, or hearing how its performed. Although the last isn't my best, I'm very lucky I can learn either way.:)

20. Bruce W Sims

BTW: Just as a kind of side-question. How many people make note-taking or Journaling a part of their training. Do you also take pics (say, with a cellphone), or clips? Just wondering.

Best Wishes,

Bruce