How do you feel about "Tricking"?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by SuperMonroe, Jul 5, 2012.

1. SuperMonroe

SuperMonroe Valued Member

Hey guys,

I'm sure stuff like this has come up before, but how do you feel about the sport/art of tricking?

As many of you know, it's heavily based in martial arts and sport karate, but these days it has developed into an artform of its own.

I am a tricker, are any of you? What are your thoughts?

Here's a video if you are unfamiliar with the art:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coNmGDo4Sjw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coNmGDo4Sjw[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Swell guys by and large.

Do get uppity about getting headbutted while flipping for some reason though. :whistle:

3. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

Superb athletes. Very down to earth for what is a youthful community by and large. I won't deny anyone to participate in their sport of choice, particularly when it makes them look like a Power Ranger. :)

4. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I watched the first few moments and stopped. It's like watching tumbling only instead of the graceful lines and choreography you'd see in olympic floor events you get this terribly abrupt, explosive, almost fool, series of aerial seizures.

I know it takes great strength and control and I give my due respect on those points, but beyond that, its lost on me. Sorry.

5. SHAD0W

SHAD0W Valued Member

Love the tornado kick there, any street fighter fan would appreciate that!

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I wouldn't put it in with traditional martial arts but it might fit in with the extreme sports genre. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

7. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

I also do tricking! :love:

But I can only do basic things like backflip, front flip, butterfly twist, pop 360 etc. But it is aweeesooommmeee! ^^

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Just looks more like gymnastics or breakdancing haha.

Take some talent without a doubt but I think anyone who was proficient in either of the above wouldn't really struggle much here.

I couldn't do it though, too old for this sort of stuff now, lol.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I love teh tricking.

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

To me it's wushu plus gymnastics. I out it more with dance than with martial arts.

11. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

I know a few guys who are very into it. I think it looks pretty cool, but it bothers me a lot that it is associated with martial arts. In my opinion, its gymnastics and acrobatics - nothing wrong with that, but it isn't martial arts. Not enough martial, too much art.

Also, since I come from a taekwondo background, I personally feel that since many people associate TKD guys with tricking because of the aerial kicks, that it puts me in a different light, even though I don't train anything that looks like tricking so it shouldn't matter.

12. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I wish I could do it, but consider it basically gymnastics, and don't put it in with martial arts. It kinda bugs me to see it in martial arts movies too, Scott Adkins is a swine for it, just because it's more akin to a gymnastics demo than a fight.

Edit: Sketco pretty much beat me to it, serves me right for hitting reply before reading the other posts :p

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Impressive stuff. Doesn't really bear any relation to what interests me personally. I like it just fine in movies. (I love Scott Adkins' movies myself.) It's very entertaining. But as far as actual training goes, I think of it much the same way I would freestyle skating or something along those lines. Well outside of my capabilities, but not something I'm jonesing to do anyway.

14. SuperMonroe

SuperMonroe Valued Member

I disagree to a certain extent that it's "not like martial arts"

Do you not notice all the kicks? Chambered, spotted, and fully extended?

Tricking is a perfect blend of gymnastics, martial arts, and break dancing.

15. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

thats awesome, reminds me of TKD mixed with Kapaweida

16. Wadey

Wadey Valued Member

Never really heard of it before, but looks VERY impressive in the vid! Big time athletes there without a shadow of a doubt. Must take huge balance, strength, speed and training.

I agree, there are certainly aspects of martial arts in there (the kicks are quite clear for all to see). However, IMO, martial arts needs to have a foundation in fighting. Could you use tricking in a fight? Perhaps, but only if you had a headstart and could judge your distance. Plus all the air time would leave you VERY vulnerable to something as simple as being pushed (assuming you can get close to the Trickster. Is that what they're called?).

17. Rand86

Wuzzat? :p

18. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^I dunno how to spell it, the brazilian break dancing style of fighting

19. Rand86

Ooooh! You mean this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOBVtCk-N60"]Capoeira no Parque do Ibirapuera - Melhores momentos - YouTube[/ame]

:whistle:

20. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Shouldn't this be in the TKD forum on MAP? Not the Other Styles forum?

:kick: