How do you define Hapkido?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by iron_ox, Nov 28, 2004.

1. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

Just curious, other than the most common "Way of Coordinated Power" (or a similar English Translation) how do you or you school DEFINE Hapkido?

For example, I define it as follows: Hapkido is the art founded and taught by Choi, Yong Sul starting on February 21, 1948. The first student was Suh, Bok Sup and the first dojang at the Suh family brewery, in Taegu, Korea. The art consist of 3808 techniques, and 5 weapons. Choi only ever produced three 9th Dans, and the current head of Hapkido, as promoted by Choi lives in Manhatten, New York (Chang, Chin Il).

This is a short version, but you get my drift...

Anyone else?

2. Hapkidoin P

Hapkidoin P Valued Member

Hi Kevin,

I would say "It's like Tae Kwon Do,but with joint locks!" :D :rolleyes:

But seriously now.....I would say that Hapkido is defined more by technique than personalities. There is a definite fluidity and brutal effeciency in Hapkidoin practicing their techniques,that sometimes appears to be a "linear power",but on closer examination is revealed to be circular in nature.

Hapkido is an eclectic art,sure....but your technique (or lack there of) speaks volumes. This,I believe one can only be exposed to,and learn,through a "line" of Hapkido stylists.

Hapkido to me...as a definition of the art...would read pretty much like the one you gave.

3. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Not sure if this is quite a definition but... anyway.

To me asking what hapkido is, is like asking what colour a watermelon is (I bet lots of you have heard this before but its an analogy I like and can relate to). Most people will say green, and this is like viewing the art from the outside. To anyone watching on at a dojang, they could probably copy most of the techniques themselves without too much worry for the finer technical aspects (as seems to happen a lot) and throw any willing participant down.

If you say the watermelon is red then this represents the inside of the art. Meaning technically correct, the right rhythm and flow, power and balance. An understanding of the actual art itself. This is where all the copycats will fall down as they, through their lack of practice, will not understand the art correctly and not see the true colour of hapkido.

So to me, hapkido is an art that if viewed in the proper light is a powerful and sometimes devastating form of combat.

Hope that made some sense.

4. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

I hate watermelon, but really like the analogy... :)

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Romulus: I like the analogy, too. There's also the seeds from the watermelon... some of which are damaged in eating the watermelon, some which sprout an exact copy of the first watermelon, some which don't grow, and some that cross with other watermelons and hybridize...

6. Dr. Flem

Dr. Flem New Member

Wow Romulus, that's a fantastic analogy(and a good follow up from Thomas ;)). I see that you're in Melbourne, Australia. Could you tell me of any worthwhile schools for me to try out Hapkido? I know it's a little off topic so if you don't want to post it in here, please send me some info via pm. I'm in North Balwyn. Thanks alot. :)

7. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greeting,

History

Hapkido is derived from an ancient Samurai Art called Daito Ryu Aiki-jujutsu called Yawara by Choi Yong Sool and a Korean kicking form called Tae-Kyon ( soft-style kicks ) not Tae Kwon Do styles hard kicks.

Hapkido's is considered by most to be from Ji Han Jae lineage who intoduced the kicking after learning Yawara from Choi Yong Sool.

Ji coined the name Hapkido and it became popular with all the practioners of the generation so Choi Yong Sool used it name as well after many years of just using the name Yawara for his Japanese Art.

Technique Theory

HKD is a SOFT style system that's is based on non-resistance and cirular principles. The Original Form of the Art as taught by Choi Yong Sool, Ji Han Jae and most educated HKD Masters has No hard style punches, No hard sytle blocks, No hard style kicks, what so ever etc., etc.

HKD's movements can flow and at times look similar to Japanese Aikido but Hapkido is more direct and to the point.

Smooth movements, fast, powerful, flowing is the best way I can describe it.

:)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nice post!

9. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Dr Flem, it that is your real name, I can't take too much credit for the analogy as it was told to me by my master but I train in the Mount Waverley area. Check out our website at www.hapkidoia.com and you'll find a bit of info on where and when and who to contact, and also a little bit about the lineage and all that kind of stuff.

We train in what I would consider a traditional style of hapkido. I have tried another hapkido school in Croydon (Power Hapkido - under the banner of Master Geoff Booth), did not stay there long enough to really get into their way of training and thinking as I couldn't make it back due to moving house.

I also know of Hapkido places in Malvern and Kew but don't know anyone who has trained there so I can't give you any advice on that front. My experience with my Dojang is that it is a group of very motivated and friendly people. Learning is at your own pace but they're always there to push you further. If you want any further information don't hesitate to pm me or come down to the dojang one night and check it out.

Let me know what you think.

**Post was edited as web site was wrong. It is now fixed.**

10. Dr. Flem

Dr. Flem New Member

Thanks alot Romulus. The website still doesn't work but thank you for the information. Mount Waverley seems a bit too far but I'll have to check out the Malvern and Kew schools. If they aren't up to my liking, I might have to make a trek. Thanks again. :)

11. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Dr Flem, try the website again as it works for me now, otherwise google for 'Hapkido International Association' for more info.

12. Dr. Flem

Dr. Flem New Member

Ahhh, yes. It works now. Thank you Romulus.

13. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I've always looked at Hapkido as an art that allows for complete individualization. It's an art that is overwhelming and so very simple at the same time. So many techniques to learn and so few memorized that will define Hapkido for each person.

I like the watermelon analogy also...very nicely put.