how do we borrow someone's energy?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by NeedAnswers, Oct 1, 2005.

1. NeedAnswers

NeedAnswers New Member

Im really curious about this. For example, a guy tries to punch me then how will i use is own energy against him to make him fly?

2. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

rafl,

I've never heard anything as crazy as that.

I do know there are such people who can try and wear you down a great deal as they are usually called psychic vampires and it is real.

No I think there should be a teacher who might be able to explain this one, I hope so anyway.
    lisa xx :D

3. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

It's very late for me so I'll come back to this one later...
    ...but briefly, there are several ways this can be done that I have heard of. :cool:
    Purely physical, where the opponent is manipulated into hurting himself or being thrown off balance via good timing and technique. This is common to both EMA and IMA.
    Purely Energetic, where the energy of the opponent's effort is neutralised and controlled, then fed back into him to cause damage, loss of balance, pain etc
    Use of good sung and body mechanics, where the opponent stikes you and you yield, redirect and issue power (fajin lol :rolleyes: ) through the other side of your body and back into the opponent. (I have tried this one out against an ignorant opponent and it did some serious pain on impact with very little input from me lol :rolleyes: )
    Other combinations, where you use the opponent's momentum and effort to power your own counters and locks or throws. I apply locks this way mainly. The harder someone goes in the more it hurts them, my effort level is exactly the same in each case, all I have to adjust is my timing - and this is dictated by my opponent lol
    I am sure there are more methods than these - but that's my opinion, for what it's worth... :cool:
    Reikislapper, you do make me chuckle... :rolleyes: :p
    :Angel:

4. reikislapper

I aim to please Taiji, I really like to make people chuckle lol. :D :D

see you on wed lol. :rolleyes:
    lisa xx

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I've been called that before, though the more common description is 'irritating and tiring'.

But yeah, I'm with Flutterby on the flying bit. Just a matter of avoiding the punch and 'helping' his momentum forwards a little too far.

6. Topher

Topher allo!

The only thing i can think of is the principle in Aikido (and many other martial arts) where you don’t fight against power/strength/energy, but rather go with it. So if someone punches you or grabs you, don’t fight/block it as the stronger person will win, and you can't guarantee you'll be the stronger of the two, so you should redirect it by going in the same direction of the punch or grab. This should unbalance the attacker and allow you to follow up with an attack of your own.

Essentially the more power an attacker commits into one direction, easier if will be to unbalance them. You often see Aikidoka pull/force an opponent, and then suddenly change direction so quickly that the opponent doesn’t have them time to adjust.

7. JimmyD

JimmyD New Member

I was thinking the same thing. Aikido is the one art that comes to mind where you use the opponents kinetic energy against him. Thus absorbing his energy in a way and turning it on him in an opposite direction.

Jimmy

8. dradondeaux

dradondeaux New Member

no no no

What people talk about when they say that they borrow someone energy is that... well first you have to understand by energy they mean chi energy in motion. You use the motion of their energy against them. In other owrds you redirect there energy of motion. ie.. some throws a puch at you while moving forward. instead of blocking and coming in linearly to throw a punch you would use like an inside block and circle around the opponent and get several hits in the kidney area.... or you lock the elbow and pull in the same direction of the opponents movement and flip them over..... using their own energy against them and less of yours.

9. reikislapper

LilBunnyRabbit, this time I really have to protest in the strongest way, I say this is as much respect seeing that your a mod but WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH.
    I'm sorry mods and admin but bunny is no way a psychic vampire and I've already spoken about this before with him.
    I'd like to talk more about this subject as I've been lucky to meet the guy and I never picked anything of the sort from him. He's a good guy like the rest on here I suppose, trying to sweet talk the mods seeing that I'm going to be in trouble for this but I feel strongly about this.
    I'd like to prove this one bunny but I'm not going to be able to do it until I arrive home in about 3 weeks as I'll be in Kent teasing the group down there (god help them lol).
    I'll sort this one out by pm or whatever you wish but stop believing a lie.

lisa xx :Angel:

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Oh, I don't believe it. I just find it rather amusing.

11. pete_e

pete_e New Member

I know you! You've got a cameo role in the new Wallace & Grommet film haven't you! :D

12. pete_e

pete_e New Member

Homer & Jimmy,

Aikido is certainly not the only art to borrow an opponents energy. This is at the heart of taiji too!

NeedsAnswers - here's my 2p worth....

Firstly - concepts like borrowing energy are best experienced rather than explained. My advice would be to find a good taiji player and ask them to a) demonstrate and b) give you some simple exercises to allow you to experience this.

Taiji is all about using / borrowing your opponents energy and turning it against them. As such, it should be in everything that a taiji player does.

TB has provided some good examples of how this is used. One of the most obvious ways this is achieved (IMO) is by intercepting a persons attack and, through good relaxed body structure and mechanics, channelling the force of the attack back into the opponent! The more obvious applications of moves such as Brush Knee or Fair Lady Weaves Shuttle provide good illustrations of this principle in action.

13. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

Misdirecting someones driving force and/or momentum to help you throw them is common to all wrestling arts.

14. Taiji Butterfly

The difference is whether you do this using external power or internal power tho.... :rolleyes:
    :Angel:

15. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

Actually, we do not borrow it.

We use the opponent's force against himself by positioning etc.

Example 1

if the opponent grabs your right wrist and pulls you toward him. You follow his pulling Jing and move up a step closer. You pushes him with your right elbow and your left hand to his open chest.

So you pull. I push.

example 2

The opponent pushes your chest with his right hand. You lean to your right and even move your right foot back a step. You raise up your right hand to contact his right wrist from the outside. Your left hand sticks his right elbow. You pull him toward your right rear.

So you push.I pull.

16. pete_e

pete_e New Member

So how about my opponent pushes my chest with his right hand - I allow this to turn my waist - generating power that expresses itself as a punch with my right hand..... He pushes. I push (or punch)

17. Taiji Butterfly

He pushes, you absorb/yield/redirect, you punch him - same thing imo :D
    It's all yin/yang cyclic changes....

18. Tetsujin

Tetsujin Valued Member

Dont know actually..all I know is you have to use a good technique and of course right timing..

19. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

Well as you are using your opponents power it depends on wheither they are inside the door, not you. :woo:

20. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

Does no one here indulge in peng pushing? You borrow the energy down to the arch of the front foot and then return it.