How do I find .22lr ammo?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by m1k3jobs, Aug 7, 2014.

1. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I bought myself a present, a Ruger SR22 pistol, to shoot at the range. I really like shooting and 9 mil is kind of expensive.

The gun is really sweet but I can't find ammo. I think I might be able to buy some at the range when I go to shot but heck, where are they hiding it.

I've been to 4 different gun stores, walmart, dick's sporting goods and no one has it in stock.

So, how do you get a hold of some 22lr ammo?

[​IMG]

:( :woo:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The Internet?

3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I'm not sure on what the laws are for shipping ammo through the mail? Does anyone get their ammo this way?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sweet little gun!

Anyway, here is a few reasons....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5U_TSl8Cw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5U_TSl8Cw[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Was reading this just today:

sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/why-cant-i-find-22-lr-ammunition/

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That's pretty crappy. People do the same thing with gig tickets. It's a real problem that's hard to tackle.

My recommendation then is to perhaps order straight from the manufacturer if you can.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

the .22's have been out for a while man. When the whole gun thing happened last year (you probably remember) you couldn't find ammo ANYWHERE! I had bought a bunch of speer gold dot's and Federal HST +p's online as soon as they came in. I have my H&K P30L 9mm but, had a .45 prior... I got the .9mm because of ammo prices. The .22's are really fun to shoot though.

I'll send you a message if I see any in stock on the sites I go to for ammo though.

8. Saved_in_Blood

9. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Thanks SIB. I have no problem at all getting 9mm.

10. Saved_in_Blood

No, not now, but I mean a while back the 9mm and.. well everything was empty. The .22lr's are empty mainly because people worry about their other ammo running out in stores again... they can do a lot of plinking and it's no big deal and keeps you sharp I think.

11. Saved_in_Blood

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

My friend's brother who works for a ammo company says that (at least for his company) that they were so geared up in production to catch up with the backorders (Starting with the Obama-Gun scare) for other popular calibers like 9mm./.40/ 7.62x39/ 55.56/.223/ .380 that they did not think there will be another great demand for 22lr. Now that those other popular rounds caught up to demand., 22's have to catch up

On the flip side, speaking to a gun rep, 22 firearms sales are really up, and because the ammo is inexpensive, the demand grew faster than the supply

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yep, they are coming back. In New York State, when the tougher anti-gun laws went through (SAFE Act), people began hoarding ammo, especially .22LR and as soon as a shipment came in, people snapped them all up. Eventually, store put limits on how much you could purchases.

Now, in my area, I can get pretty much ammo I want, although .22LR is still a bit scarce, mainly because it's cheap and a lot of people have .22's (great for plinking). Stocks are coming back though and I see it around more now.

My advice would be to call around the big stores (like Gander Mountain) and also check with the local gun shops and see if you can find out when shipments are coming in. I would bet that after a while, it will again be easier to get. I think it's a good choice of caliber to buy - accurate, cheap, and good enough for the job! (Although I would pressed the sales clerk to get me some ammo before I bought it!)

If you are desperate and don't mind paying extortionately high prices, you could get some at local gun shows.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. 47MartialMan

My advice is to wait until supply catches up with demand

Or you could have been like myself and been a ammo hog long before

15. Saved_in_Blood

I don't have what I consider a lot of ammo, maybe 2000 total. Which isn't to bad. I don't go shooting that much right now though so at least I'm not burning money up.

One guy I had sold some to during the ammo crisis had about 50k rounds though.

16. 47MartialMan

For myself, its been awhile for going shooting

Most shooting buds moved away

I am left with relative who still hunt....but for me, that became "old" long ago