How did the sword get to be so important in koryu?

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by hendry, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

February is correct - you need to have 50 posts and be here 2 weeks to use the Private Messaging system (everything you need to know is in the FAQ).

2. max Chouinard

max Chouinard Valued Member

Well then 6 more posts for me ;), quite a strange rule I might say.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

It stops spammers from using it and trolls who come here, pick fights then insult people by PM.

4. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

again i am no weapons expert.....outside of the modern military ones i used in the army.

i was thinking....could some of the reverence of a sword have something to do with its portability

it is much smaller than a spear.....so an aristocrat could wear it all the time where every he went...

so a ornate one would have more "curb appear" or "flash"

no need to make an ornate spear to be handed down ...when all its gonna do is sit in the armory.

the more i think about this the more it has in common with modern weapons.

the pistol is not a real effective weapon on the modern battlefeild.

but
    1. officers carry them for portability reasons
    2. when my ancestor went to wwII. nobody took mausers as war trophies...they took lugers
    3.and when a military guy or cop retires ...its always a gold plated pistol...never a gold plated rifle

so even now the pistol has more reverence than more effective rifle.....

now in 500 years when people shoot lazers out there eyes.....and firearms are obsolete.....dont be suprised if the pistol is look at with a reverence

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  5. Nii

Nii Valued Member

Excellent point Mai tai. I loved your last paragraph too =)

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

The sword was a badge of station for the Japanese military castes.

Most cops are just given a gold watch. I must say, I have never heard of a gold plated pistol given as a retirement present.

7. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i probalby spoke out of turn....i have no idea what cops get for retiement....so ill take your word on the watch

the point was that the pistol has a certain reverence not unlike a sword in todays military. (cops are not warriors ...so i should not have put them in the post at all)

but....as a gift.

hittler officers gave him a gold pistol.
    elvis gave nixon a gold pistol
    saddam was known for giving gold pistols.

and in the army when i was in....when a commander would leave we would have to chip in a money to give him a gift......if he was high up...like major and above.....he would get some kind of pistol...in a case (not gold plated)

which is really something i never under stood.

all year we work like a dog FOR the comander....he makes way more money and take alot less risk....and we the poorest, lowest on the totem pole are FORCED to give up money for a gift for HIM......dont make no sence to me.

im not really trying to really talk about who got what......but convey that the pistol is has a strong pychiologicl link