How authentic is Kyushin-Ryu Shinobi Ninjutsu?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Upgraded, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Upgraded

Upgraded Valued Member

How authentic is Kyushin-Ryu Shinobi Ninjutsu?

I recently found a dojo close to home in Australia that teaches this martial art.. Is it a well known real form of Ninjutsu?

2. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

3. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Same question as on your last thread, where do you train and who is your instructor??? or better still, go to the introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself.

4. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

yep, who do you train with, you may be in urgent need of recovery!!! :D

5. Upgraded

Upgraded Valued Member

Zane Murphy

Australia/Blue Mountains

:p Reading the other forum as we speak

6. Upgraded

Upgraded Valued Member

I guess what im not sure about here thats worrying me is the fact he is very big on the whole money thing.
    Seem's he's always trying to get me to sign up so I can save on my weekly fee's.
    While I've never seen him fight the style looked authentic enough, but after a few google searches it seems that Kyushin-Ryu is actually jujitsu not ninjutsu?
    I am so confused here :woo:

*edit*

When I questioned him earlier he claims its almost exactly the same as Bujinkan except for a few VERY small changes in the stances.. Suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  7. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

What do you actually think you are doing?

Are you doing this...? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0jOMc9R4Ak"]YouTube[/ame] , [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEmbrv6qlVM"]YouTube[/ame]

Or this...? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_m2iyt_-og"]ninpo - YouTube[/ame]

Or something like this...? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRBRfXxDQt0&search=jujutsu"]King : UCONN Wa Shin Ryu Jujutsu and Backflip - YouTube[/ame]

8. Upgraded

Upgraded Valued Member

Hmmm out of all 3 videos it definatly looks like [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_m2iyt_-og"]ninpo - YouTube[/ame]

To give a general idea of the things being taught im copying the techniques from my sheet here that was given to me last lesson.

Stances:

Kiba Dachi ( Horse Riding stance )
    Zen-Kutsu Dachi ( Foward leaning )
    Gedan Berai ( Lower attack stance )
    Ko-kutsu Dachi ( Backward leaning )

ect

Blocks:

Jodan Uke ( upper )
    Uchi Uke ( middle inner )
    Soto uke ( Middle outter )

ect

Kicks:

Mai Geri ( front kick )
    Mawashi Geri ( roundhouse )

ect

Punches and Strikes:

OI - Zuki 1 ( Middle thrust )
    Oi - Zuki 2 ( middle snap punch )
    Riken Uchi ( Backfist strike )

-------------------------------

Requirements for first belt

Nage Waza ( Hip throw )
    Body Drop ( Tai Otoshi )
    Shoulder throw, shoulder wheel )

ect

I hope this has helped in identifying the style

9. bencole

bencole Valued Member

Sounds like the list of requirements that I used to give students in my Shotokan (actually Gosoku Ryu) days....

-ben

10. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

It sounds more Karateka than ninjutsu.

11. fire&steel

fire&steel Valued Member

It sounds like Shotokan Karate , it feels like Shotokan and smells like Shotokan ! Well I am guessing that it must be Ninjitsu then !
    :rolleyes: :D

12. Bujinkan83

Bujinkan83 Valued Member

Pretty cool videos and enjoyed the 70s Ninpo vid, but was a little shocked with the poor women at the end, that was quite shocking indeed but i suppose it works especially in this day of age when the fairer sex have to protect them selves from all kinds of dirt bags on the streets. Once again interesting vids, look forward to seeing more.

Also the ending where the female uses her hands to crack the opponent around the ears, i'm assuming to bust the ear drums, is that technique called Kappaken?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  13. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

You're thinking of "happaken," if memory serves, but that is only the name of the fist being used to apply the technique. "Happaken" simply refers to using the palms to strike, but it could be to anywhere on the body. I'm not sure what, if anything, the Japanese name for blowing out the eardrums with a happaken.

14. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I think you'll find that Gedan Berai isn't a stance, but is in fact "lower sweeping block" found in.... you guessed it.... Shotokan Karate (Plus most other styles).

15. Dean Whittle

Dean Whittle Valued Member

Kyushin ryu Ninjutsu

It's fairly well known within Australian circles (Bujinkan et al) that Kyushin ryu is not an authentic style of ninjutsu. It is usually associated with the Kevin Hawthorne Ninja Schools which are primarily based around Melbourne, Victoria, and tend to be populated with the mask and camoflauge-gi type male teenage student.

You might like to do a search on kyushin ryu over at www.e-budo.com, an Australian Bujinkan student has done a bit of research on it and posted his findings there.

With respect

16. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

More like bad shotokan than real shotokan.

Those that do well in an art do not feel the need to make false claims. But if you were terrible in your old art, you might feel the need to start your own and pass along your half assed lessons under a different title.

Don't blame shotokan for the stupid moves Kevin Hawthorne does.

17. Upgraded

Upgraded Valued Member

Ughhh despite my attempts today I cant get out of doing Saturdays :( So no ninjutsu for me unless I leave my job *Cries* Damn Retail

18. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

It is also found in Wado Ryu as well. But it is a block as well as a stance.

As for the female in the video... I think it is Hatsumi's wife.

19. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Kyushin-ryu kumi uchi is a koryu that is no longer extant. It was a koryu from the Higo-han (Present day Kumamoto prefecture) and specialized in taijutsu, kenjutsu & iaijutsu. The son of the last headmaster is still alive and well in Kumamoto, but he does not study budo.

There are a number of people out there claiming to teach Kyushin-ryu, however, you really need to do some background research on authenticity. (Just look at the descriptions of techniques earlier on in this thread - Shotokan karate techniques mixed with some judo & aikido. That isn't koryu!)

When I lived in Japan, I constantly had to translate English letters into Japanese for one of my koryu jujutsu teachers, since he was the Secretary for the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai. We actually did recieve two letters regarding Kyushin-ryu. One was from the Rep. of Ireland and the other was from Australia. We had to reply that it is no longer active.

The remnants of Kyushin-ryu are still there however. There is a dojo in Kumamoto, that teaches Judo and koryu Kumi-uchi. They also teach the Higo-ryu taijutsu no kata, which contains at least one kata from Kyushin-ryu. The Higo-ryu taijutsu no kata was formulated by the Kumamoto judo renmei before WW2 in order to preserve certain classical jujutsu techniques taught in the Higo No Kuni.

Hope this helps.

20. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

People have been asking the seniors of this system for a long time for some kind of proof that this school is real. When I say real I do not mean proof that Kyushin Ryu exists (leave that to the scholars to debate) but if its australian founder actually went to japan and learnt it from someone there.

To date no one has been able to offer anything to validate. There are no pictures of a grandmaster, or sensei, no pictures of a dojo in japan. A map of Kyu Shu was offered to have the school pointed out. It was ignored. I letter was sent quering locals there if the school ever existed, no one could remember a kyu shu ninjutsu school, only the jujitsu one that resides there today.

No menkyo kaiden exists, though in the original bio of the australian "president" of the system, it states a menkyo kaiden was offered. then a former instructor of the school had stated this on kutaki's forum

Many people have made threats against those that question. Someone on another thread recently added military records stating that there was no way the head instructor could have gone to japan, but while they add more doubts to this story, they are not conclusive without further research.

I will say nothing of my own opinion... I'll let you draw your own conclusion.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006