Hot girls in sports are treated unfairly

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Crucio, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

I found myself now watching interviews with Ronda Rousey and as i find her a great athlete and a very attractive woman,it came to me (the thought that is), would i do the same if she was just a great an athlete but less attractive?

Because i'm cool and super honest, i thought of all the great female athletes i knew and fallowed and, they were all hot.

Assuming that i'm not just a skirt fallowing majestic male, but genuinely interested in great people that do great things, this made me pause.

Are we, as a culture, vastly biased towards good looking women in sports? The answer is yes of course, but the real question is how much? How many great females are there that can not get 5% of the attention and money that the hot ones do?

In an area that we tend to think that if you work hard enough and are good enough you will get recognition, i'm not sure this is true for women.

EDIT: i did not know where to post so i chose television because it's about "us" viewers;

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I don't know. I'm too distracted by this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fallow

Fair enough. (It would arguably fit in General Discussion and in Off Topics as well.)

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

[​IMG]

Mostly likely? Yes, but you might not find her quite as fascinating if you didn't find her attractive. It's the halo/horns effect, basically. You see someone attractive that you assign positive qualities to, therefore anything and everything they do is seen a little more favourably than it might be otherwise.

Why?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  4. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

Because there might be women that work just as hard, but get a lot, A LOT, less recognition because thay are not as ... marketable.

5. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

Now who can honestly say they never stalked a women? Or many of them at the same time.

That wasn't the point though :(

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Name one

Ronda gets attention because she is a force of nature in female form.....she just happens to be attractive

There are far more who get attention for being pretty rather than skilled and they quickly fade away

7. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

"name one"

That's the point though, i don't know. How many, unmarketable, girls do you know that got super star status in sports? Very rare.

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

First, are you basing marketability on how attractive a woman is? That's pretty shallow, IMHO.

Maybe look a little deeper and figure out what makes her attractive.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

there are plenty of studies on media representation and women in sport.

its a vicious circle where female athletes are sexualised in the media and therefore think to draw attention to themselves (for sponsorship) have to go along with the sexualisation.

theres plenty of studies showing women are underrepresented in sport and when they are represented, they're usually show for their sexual appeal rather than their skill.

10. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

lol what?

11. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

I though as much.
    What i found interesting, with me, was the hypocrisy. I was sure that sport is sport and i look to the great ones based on their greatness; but i'm full of it.

How hot a girl is, plays a major role in how promoted she is. My point is, that is no different then any other disciple, music, acting, etc;

How many man can admit that? :)

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

except its an outdated model of promotion that is male-centric.

you're assuming its only men watching sports.
    with increasing coverage of female athletes, more females are becoming involved in sport and watching it more too.

so the other 50% of the population now has athletes to look up to like men do.
    and with only recent changes in gender roles becoming popular, women don't feel the need to "be attractive for a man" any more so i think we'll see more athletes who don't give a crap how they look because the women watching it don't give a crap.

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The sword cuts both ways. I was reading an article about two weeks ago on how attractive male powerlifters are more likely to get attention because they have an attractive physique... that's regardless of the viewing gender.

I think it's more fair to say that attractive athletes get more attention even when compared to someone slightly better than them.

14. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

Is it outdated when it comes to combat sports? I don't have the numbers, but i'm fairly sure the majority of spectators are males.

I'm not an advocate to feminism, but i do find it intriguing the level of hypocrisy that happens in sport, combat sports in general. "She is a force of nature" and that is why she is popular...

15. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

There is no doubt about that. I am a gorgeous individual and i had a lot coming my way i did not deserve. My point is, why are we so full of hypocrisy when it come to combat sports and pretend "we only see quality" in women fights?

I mean, when i see a program made by a chick, i don't think of how hot she is, i just look at the software and i judge it; but in sports, very different.

16. Hannibal

No that isnt the point at all

Name one that works as hard as Ronda and has her ability......its her skill that defines her in the public eye

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Because visuals tend to be a much greater attractor for human males.

18. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

She is a very good judoka and a very good MMA fighter.That is not the main reason she is a sensation. I'm interested in MMA, most of my friend are not; all know and "love" Ronda.

Your attitude is exactly my point; hypocrisy.

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I wouldn't call it hypocrisy, as it's not the fault of the sports sexualising their participants but it's how everyone in society sees things. Advertising a person (as a brand) is essentially just throwing their faces out to the public, going straight to human perception to another is attractiveness. (The essential human need to breed etc).

Going back to Ronda, and what Hannibal says, she is a force of nature and is currently one of the most dominant fighters about. She also happens to be fairly attractive.

Also, not fair to pin it all on RR or Zuffa. Very attractive female fighters have been around for a long while before her and they haven't had the success as RR has, also mainly due to their fight records (Michelle Waterson , Gina Carano ).
    Rousey, also has a say as to how she wants to be viewed and publicised. The ESPN shoots are her own choices, as are her film roles and interview shows and not the choices of Zuffa.

20. Hannibal

You mean my attitude that Ronda is my fave p4p fighter and I find her skillset beyond incredible? Tell me genius what part of that is hypocrisy?