Hostage Siege in Sydney - Militant Islam rears it's head

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slipthejab, Dec 15, 2014.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Only if anyone who claimed to be a vicar, is a vicar.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Its not being a hippy to think that there's a line to be drawn. Take the recent CIA report about "enhanced interrogation." I was thoroughly disgusted by the stuff I've read about so far and that's even accepting the context of post-9/11. Still don't think I'm in the wrong for feeling that way.

While I appreciate the point about suicide bombers, I'd be curious what effect it would actually have. Even taking out other issues like forced bombers since I have no idea what percentage they make up. But, back when you were a soldier, if you were deployed and you heard another Brit had been captured and was being tortured, would it make you more reluctant to go out the next time or would it make you more eager to go give those people a kicking?

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I admit that is pretty stomach-churning stuff. I bet the CIA operatives thought they were committing justifiable actions in the name of a legitimate cause. I wonder how much of it was done to extract information, and how much to exact revenge on suspected terrorists. See, where I would draw the line is for acts of torture to be implemented as a form of punishment for convicted terrorists (might as well throw rapists and murderers in there for good measure). What disgusted me most of all about the CIA situation was that they operated outside legal parameters and avoided due process. I believe in the concept of being innocent until proven guilty; but I also believe that what happens after a person is found guilty (at least in our country) is why we are seen as a soft target.

Does that make sense?

That's a very good question and, honestly, I'm a bit stumped for an answer. Mind if I think about it and get back to you?

4. Southpaw535

Yeah, I have to admit a lot of my disgust was at the amount of torture victims who were later found to be innocent. Including at least one clear rape victim iirc. That and the faking of results. I would actually have felt better about it if they said they were doing it for revenge. At least it would be more honest.

I have to be honest, I probably wouldn't feel as bad about certain forms. Thing like white noise and stress positions I appreciate are torture, but I'm not overly fussed about them happening to captured terrorists etc. But the things like sexual assault concern me. Partly because I don't think there's a justification for subjecting anyone to it, and partly because the idea that people are willing to do that to someone and then claim a moral high ground angers me something fierce.

Which as an aside, leads me to another problem I have with torture advocates is by and large I don't think they'd be willing to do it themselves. You not so much, since I have a very low expectation of everyone on this site :p But it is a problem I have with a lot of people see throwing it out on facebook etc. To steal a game of thrones quote "he who passes the sentence should swing the sword" :p

On a serious note though, are we seen as a soft target? I've seen the term thrown out a lot by certain demographics but have those words ever come from a terrorist's mouth, or do we just assume that's the case because it happens? Thing is, much as we like to self-deprecate the UK is still a good target for terrorism due to its importance. For all the people doing the whole "we're a small country and not an empire anymore so we should be isolationist" crap, the UK is still one of the biggest players on the planet. And that's without getting into our actual involvement in the areas of conflict.

On top of that, terrorism will happen. My honest belief is that if you want to commit a terrorist act, you can. It's physically impossible to stop. Sure you can make things like bases, embassies etc harder targets, but general terrorism is easy. A bad thing to admit on the internet, but I was on a train the other day visiting Wales and after the "report suspicious packages" bit I thought how easy it would be. Not even a bomb, just take a knife on a busy commuter train and what's really going to stop you?

I'm moe than willing to be corrected, but I don't feel like the idea we're an easy target or a soft target is based in any real evidence or logic. Maybe just a few tabloid headlines.

No worries :)

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

See, I would have expected the complete opposite. Why go through with it in the first place? Why put yourself in a situation where you almost guarantee (or near as damn it) no escape for yourself in an incredibly stressful and dangerous scenario unless you have a message to get across? If he just wanted martyrdom, why not "just" strap a bomb to his chest and find the busiest area you can or the closest to a Government building possible before detonating the bomb and automatically make yourself a martyr?

If it wasn't planned and was just a spur of the moment thing, why plan ahead enough to bring a gun with you to a public place and then demand/bring a religious banner?

It makes no sense to me that the gunman would've gone through with holding a large group of people hostage unless he wanted to get a message across. But it could be that it was just never publicised of course.

I'm glad it's over though, even if someone else had to die other than the gunman.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think it was definitely planned.

Just not planned very well.

RIP to the hostages who died, for what it's worth.

7. Southpaw535

Assuming he was an actual extremist (which doesn't seem to be the case apparently) then I stand by my original post that its publicity. I would have expected unreasonable demands like prisoner releases, war withdrawls etc that both sides know won't happen, but they wouldn't be real demands.

The story was all over global media, both news and social. That would be his victory achieved already. Think about it, this happened less than 24 hours ago I think and people who read the news already know his name and if they had the slightest interest can find a brief biography of the guy. We know all that about him, and nothing about any of the hostages. His message got out. People know who he is and they saw him pin up a flag. We're aware it was an act of support for the IS movement. Seems a win for me.

Again, assuming he was actually an extremist and not a mentally ill person who got caught up in it.

This to me comes under the same stuff as school shootings. I can't remember anything about who it was or why he came up with it, but there was a psychologist who studied school shootings in the US and gave a 5 or so point plan on how to report it in a way that avoids giving shooters what they're looking for and thus reducing the number of shootings. Or at least copycat ones. This story ticked all of his points for me. Hence my original post saying this should be a blackout subject.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I found myself conflicted when trying to answer this question alone so I talked to a few buddies on Facebook about it. One is a retired Para who served with me in Iraq in 2003 (he also served in Afghanistan in 2006). The other is a currently serving Royal Marine who has been deployed to Afghanistan three times. All of us had buddies who were KIA, but the Marine chap has definitely seen the worst of any of us.

We were all in agreement that we would feel a bit of both - a reluctance to engage with the enemy (a natural sense of self-preservation I suppose), and a wanting to get out there and smash the enemy.

I would draw the line at breaking the Geneva Convention in the mistreatment of POWs. My Para mate accused me of being an optimist and said the enemy wouldn't afford any of us the same courtesy; he felt NATO troops were hamstrung by the GC. I disagree. While I advocated torture in different forms as punishment for certain types of convicted criminals, I would leave the judicial process and execution of that punishment to better qualified individuals. Para said he would gladly turn off his helmet camera and break the GC in all sorts of colourful ways; RM said, surprisingly (since he has seen the most action out of the three of us), that he doesn't condone any action that breaks either the GC or the Human Rights Act. "It's the thin line that separates us from those animals" (his words).

I don't know if that answers the question or not :dunno:

9. Southpaw535

Answers it well mate, and I appreciate the effort that went into it :)

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

QFT
    "It's the thin line that separates us from those animals"

If I could quote that 100 times I would. Spot on. That man understands exactly why has has to do what he does in the way he does it, and why people like me should be so damn grateful that he does. Massive respect and thanks to him.

Mitch

11. Southpaw535

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks Mitch. I think it speaks about the different training cultures that exist within the military. Para training celebrates aggression and competitiveness, to the point it produces men who enjoy fighting for the sake of it (hence why I was always happy to go out "civvy bashing" every weekend). The Marines, probably through the sheer difficulty of their training, produce the most professional soldiers I have ever encountered.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick