Hostage Siege in Sydney - Militant Islam rears it's head

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slipthejab, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just to be given an IS flag, AFAIK.

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Torturing and lowering oneself to the same level.
    Sounds kinda stupid.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You know as much as I hate the phrase I can't help but think "if you don't like it in the country just leave". Similarly with the morons that have the "sharia law" marches and protests in the UK - deport the lot of them and let them pick somehwere else to spew hatred

I would of course gladly do the same to the neo nazis, but sadly they are usually homegrown scum

I am relatively moderate too, so I can only imagine how the average Daily Heil reader feels.....

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

If this is a genuine extremist thing I doubt there'll be any. Sane ones at least. I never understood hostage situations. If they happen from another crime, say robbing a bank and it turns into one as you get caught, then I get that. But planned ones are weird. Maybe Hollywood has spoiled my perception but I've never heard of a hostage taker getting what they asked for. They either give up, or force police/army hands and get raided.

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I bet he's some loony tunes loner, nothing to do with any kind or organised Islamist group and nothing at all to do with Islam.

Mitch

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmmm not so sure about that. How far does one have to go to actually be associated with Islam?

A few bits from the 9news Australia:
    Does that count?

More on him here:
    http://www.9news.com.au/National/2014/12/16/00/48/Sydney-hostage-taker-named-as-Man-Monis

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If a crazy person took a load of hostages and started waving a crucifix around, would that be associated with Christianity? I would argue that the mental illness was a far more pertinent factor than any religious affiliation.

The profiles of this guy certainly suggest he was a few bricks short of a dollar.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think crazy AND religion can make people do dumb stuff. Put them both in one person and then you've got trouble. :(

10. slipthejab

They could be. You'd have to find out the whole background wouldn't you? Which was why I asked the question. At what point does being a muslim factor into this. Does he have to be a card carrying muslim - is there some sort of formal ID as such or the fact that he takes the stance he has count as enough to be muslim? Not like nutbar militant clerics are anything new to Islam.

Yeah could be. Also entirely possible to be muslim and mentally ill no? Then I guess it'll be a race for political correctness on which one people are allowed to mention as being the deciding factor... one before the other? Neither? Hmmm which one is easier to be more politically correct about.... militant Islam or being a sociopath?

That it does. But I think the guy was clearly coherent enough to be out running hustles to get a leg over under the guise of some type of cleric or spiritual guru (eg. 47 counts of rape he was awaiting trial for... if the news is accurate).

I wonder if people will now run out and say

'Awww the was poor guy was mentally ill and he got shot by the big bad police who didn't counsel him first or at least offer him the courtesy of walking him through mental-problems-anonymous 12 step plan first'.

In the age of righteous internet indignation... it wouldn't surprise me at all.

11. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I don't believe this will end well. The whole world is watching. The whole world may see the beheadings or explosion live. It is what they really want. Think about the message of fear it would spread.

Any way I hope that I am wrong on this and he is just a lunatic.

12. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I suspect with the prospect of 47 counts of rape hanging over him , he wanted to go out in "spectacular" fashion , a variation on suicide by cop ?

13. slipthejab

Where have you been? The world has been seeing beheadings at the hands of radical and militant Islamic sects. Nothing new there. In fact... Islam isn't some sort of historic anomaly... everyone pretty much has had a go at it at some point in history.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Latest reports saying siege ended following tactical operation by police; 2 dead (including gunman).

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Be interesting to see just how many fanatics would quickly become less fanatical if they knew an immense amount of pain awaited them. I read interviews with captured jihadists who said part of the appeal of being a suicide bomber was the guarantee of an instant and painless death.

Take off those rose tinted glasses. Damn hippies getting everywhere these days.

16. holyheadjch

No, no one is going to defend a man who held a load of innocent people hostage. Mental illness or no, you've become a danger to society at that point.

17. raaeoh

I like my rock. A mere mention of the act for 30 seconds on evening news makes it distant. YouTube does not broadcast in real time. If behendings or a bombing were.to have happend on live international t.v It would have made the fear of it happening at home more real. Just like 9/11 and the subway bombings.

Propaganda and fear are more effective when someone else spreads the word for you.

18. raaeoh

There is some one some where who is preparing a protest for this man.

19. holyheadjch

No one worth listening to.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If he was a vicar then I would suggest at least a casual association would be hinted at