Hoshin Ryu Sword Curriculum and Niten Ichi Ryu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by ScottUK, Nov 26, 2006.

1. ninzen

ninzen New Member

?????????????

Then why are you training with swords?

That's the point I've been trying to make. We have a difference of opinion. Clearly my opinion on this matter is in the minority. Another issue that is very clear is that me stating my opinion in this forum isn't going to change anyone's views on the subject, so I'll stop wasting my time.

The main point of the first post I made is the one I hope most of you can eventually understand. Musashi wasn't hung up on kata, he was focused on winning. Everything else became subservient to that idea.

Now, start making posts about how I "couldn't stand the heat" and that I'm "running for cover". It will only validate my point of view.

Have a good day.

2. splice

splice New Member

Yes, that is a good question, isn't it? I have my own answer, and it's not about swordfighting. Talking with others who have been involved in sword arts for a long time, it's not about swordfighting either.

Thank god, because we'd all be wasting our time learning to do something none of us will ever make use of. That would be kind of pointless. However, I did get a lot of use from my classes, just not anything to do with swordfighting. It's about self-improvement.

You are right, Musashi was focused on winning. Everything became subservient to that idea, including the kata he passed on to teach his art. If you don't believe me, read the book of water. There's your tachi seiho right there, if you have the training to recognize it.

I think perhaps you misunderstand the purpose of kata. Just a hint, it's not about how to react and what technique to use in response to an attack, the teachings are much more fundamental than that. The kata simply is the style, and they can't really be separated (or at least I don't believe so).

3. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

No, you didn't illustrate any such point whatsoever in that previous post.

No, I'd say there was no need, because koryu is already there. Or to paraphrase, "why fix it if it ain't broken?" You boyos are doing a gendai. Just go and get some grades in Kendo and iaido. Do not bismirch a tradition going back almost 400 years by stealing kata from it. It's just cheap.

No, it most certainly doesn't.

Because they are the signature movements, principles and techniques from Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu. They are unmistakable!

Oooh I really would beg to differ with you there matey. :rolleyes:

You know, if it were legal, I'd bet someone would apply for clearance to actually do dojo yaburi. There's a funny little niggle though. It's called the law.

No, he bigged himself up, his seniors who were teaching him and training with him told him to come back down to earth for a second and he refused - Pretty clear cut. It's like a soldier promoting himself from E-4 to E-6 without the promotion from his commanding officer.

Funny, I see it as just another boyo who wanted to get to the top of the ladder as quick as he could and make a buck while doing it.

Mr. Glimme's training history is an example of this;
    AIKIDO - ROKKYU
    BUJINKAN BUDO TAIJUTSU - GOKYU
    SUGUWARA INSTITUTE KATORI SHINTO RYU - UNRANKED
    HOSHIN RYU - SHODAN

Only one dan grade in the entire list there.

Because it's been done before, it's been done better, by better people and with better experience. It was tested countless times over.

You mean steal them don't you?

Well, you may think it's absurd, but it's not. Reason being - They train in something real.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  4. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

So Ninzen how long have you trained in Hoshin?

5. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Once upon a time (not that long ago actually hehe) I would have been amazed that a shodan (and given in a recently-created gendai system at that) would have the balls to create a 'sword syllabus' based on so little knowledge and allow himself to be called 'kyoshi'.

There days I shrug my shoulders and see the funny side to this chase for titles and prestige. If I get a nod and a 'well done' after two weeks of getting driven into the dojo floor by Iwami-soke, I am chuffed to bits.

6. Paragonfortytwo

Paragonfortytwo Resident Wierdo.

Incorrect, the name HNIR was never used, the phrse used was "these techniques come from Musashi" and Ed hasn't trained with Hatsumi-soke in sword. It's semantics, I know, as far as you are concerned, but please get the details right. :)
    Jen.

7. Paragonfortytwo

Why sword or archaic weapon training? Mental side. Just because the focus on the physcial side is self defence, doesn't mean we don't do mental and emotional self defence. it is Hoshin Roshi Ryu, after all. Weapon-heart mediatation master school. Sword, etc is moving meditation.
    Jen.

8. Lord Spooky

In his mail that I have he states that Mr Morris felt that he (Mr Glimme) could translate "Niten Ichi Ryu" and get a working sword curriculum for Hoshin. He then states he studied Musashi for six months and that he had enough feel and understanding from his "Katori" experience to apply it to Niten Ichi Ryu.

9. ScottUK

Apologies Jen, he learned from Mr Morris, who Mr Glimme claims was taught HNIR by Hatsumi-s.
    Interesting. Got the kanji for that?
    Ouch. Not quite what he told me - that he got the techniques off the internet and Mr Morris.

1) What elements of Musashi did he study for six months (other than videos of the seiho!)...?

2) How can TKSKR practice/experience relate to HNIR?

10. Paragonfortytwo

Apologies Jen, he learned from Mr Morris, who Mr Glimme claims was taught HNIR by Hatsumi-s.
    - Yes. Hence the semantics comment. That's Dr. Morris to you. ;) He's probably laughing his little red socks off over the triviality of this now.

Interesting. Got the kanji for that?
    - Hoshin Website. Go look.

I'm done spending much time on this thread. Nothing constructive is going to be achieved for me, just more arguements and going around in circles..

Oh, happy new year of the Pig, everyone. :)

Jen.

11. Kogusoku

No Jen,

When Mr.Glimme was asked directly about this, the internet was mentioned. Previous to that, he claimed it was Mr. Hatsumi that taught Mr. Morris who in turn, taught him. One way proves he is a fraud who hasn't practiced his techniques under an instructor worth his salt. The other (Regarding Mr.Hatsumi) proves him to be a liar.

Either way, spurious and dishonest conduct. End of.

Riiiiiiighhhht! :rolleyes:

The two schools are nothing alike in movement, application of mindset, teaching method or in combative principles.

Hang on.........having a telepathic moment.

Yes.

The words "Ashtray" and...

"Motorbike" are coming through. :eek:

12. Lord Spooky

Going on all the info presented so far my understanding is that he got the kata from the Net (That dodgy school in Brazil maybe?) and studied the Gorin no sho.

He took his (limited?) experience in the Suguwara line of Katori Shinto Ryu and applied what ever he learned about swordsmanship from there to the kata off the net (he admits in the mail "the kata are online for those who wish to find them).

All that he presents as Hoshin’s Sword curriculum and dodges questions as to it's authenticity by trying to pass the buck to the Bujinkan, to which God and his Dog jumped on him for!

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong? The more clarity here the better for all IMO!

13. Kogusoku

Why did you get involved again then? You knew you were going to be proved wrong. :confused:

14. Paragonfortytwo

Because i enjoy everyone's company and constructive points of view so much? :eek:

Exactly where the info which Glenn passed to Ed came from got me scratching my head. I know what Glenn told me. I have no reason to disbelieve him. He has clearly told other of his students the same. However, he, as a primary source, is dead, and I'm not likeley to get to chat with the other (Hatsumi-sensei) any time soon to find out what was actually passed on and if somone got the wrong end of the stick somewhere down the line.

Anything else is second hand and subject to the inevitable chinese whispers and personal interpretation of passed on information. So it's a bit moot and pointless as far as i can see to keep chewing at it really.

As for Hatsumi-soke being upset, it rather depends exactly what people have told him and how it was presented to him doesn't it? Rhetoric is an amazing tool.

Ciao for now.
    Jen.

15. ScottUK

Sorry Jen, you seem to be a sincere individual, but I think you believe too much of what is told to you.
    I looked at the kanji on the Hoshin site.

法心老子流 doesn't mean that. You probably want 武器心老子流 if you want the name to mean 'weapon heart', but then again, you'd have to change your organisation name, web domain, those pretty badges, DVD covers etc etc.

From the horse's mouth, so to speak. Here's some more:
    I would like Mr Glimme to discuss this openly on here, but I doubt if he would ever do that:
    Agreed.

Facts:

1) Mr Glimme teaches 'Musashi's sword art' and sells DVDs of said techniques.
    2) While a number of schools can lay claim to Musashi's fighting style (Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, Enmei Ryu etc), Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu (under Iwami Toshio soke) is recognised by the NKK and NKS as the true successors to Musashi's teachings.
    3) Mr Glimme's techniques are IDENTICAL (although poor in replication) to the techniques in HNIR kenjutsu.
    4) These techniques exist only in HNIR - the other line of NIR does the techniques differently.
    5) Mr Glimme is selling these techniques on DVD.
    6) Mr Glimme has no formal training in HNIR.
    7) Mr Glimme does not have permission (or menkyo of any sort) from the head of the ryu to do DVDs or seminars.
    8) People who think they are practicing Musashi's techniques by practicing with Mr Glimme or buying his DVDs are being led up the garden path. The techniques are nothing without the teachings of the soke of HNIR. It is an empty, pointless practice.
    9) HNIR kenjutsu is open to anyone who is sincere in the desire to learn, but they must learn the right way.
    10) Iwami soke will not accept money for teaching HNIR (I know - I tried a couple of times to offer him a fee for the time he spent with me, and I was politely turned down...) - HNIR is not an umbrella organisation that accepts money for classes or membership.

I am proud to be a part of the ryu, and people like Mr Glimme (who clutch at Kyoshi titles to achieve prestige and copy the waza of others to show his martial prowess) are a slap in the face and an embarrassment to your school.

16. Kogusoku

Several guys have told Mr. Hatsumi the same story. Not just one apparently. Hearing rumours and being told things via direct correspondance by someone who knows the individual in question are two very different things.

Mr. Glimme's e-mail to Mr. Halls which he has posted for us all to see.

Then there was the famous response to a previous correspondance where Mr. Glimme went and said; "Ask Hatsumi"

Oh but of course, you'll probably call that fake or state that the real contents of the e-mail have been edited to make Hoshin look bad or something of the ilk like you did before. :rolleyes:

17. Paragonfortytwo

Scott, i was talking about the info which came from Dr. Morris and where he got that.

Jen "Exactly where the info which Glenn passed to Ed came from got me scratching my head. "

See? Not what Ed says he has, wrote, etc, i think that has been dissected thoroughly.

Kogusoku, thank you. have yoiu spoken to Hatsumi-Soke on this?

OK, so what did Hatsumi-Soke say? Is he going to contact Gord-soke? Maybe they can get to the bottom of this since they are most direcrly affected by the adverse publicity.

Ed was given his title by Glenn. He wears it proudly in honour of a respected teacher of 6 years. It's a hoshin title, it is unlikeley to have the same meaning. We think of it as "knight". You are just name calling and arrogant if you presume to know Ed's attitude in this matter.

(sorry, still haven't got my browser to be able to see kanji text. AOL, nuff said) :(

There are several known translations of the Hoshin Kanji. That is the one noted in Path Notes. I beleive they are mediaeval characters, but of course, Glenn, as he never read japanese, had to rely on translators. He always got at least 3 to work on anything. So, i am sure the kanji say what he meant them to. Even if it is "fried rice and a packet of prawn crackers", that would be his kind of sense of humour. :) ;) I'm not worried. What, gasps? lol. Told you we're wierd.

Hahahahahaha!

hugs, Jen.

18. ScottUK

You are right - I apologise. I was measuring Hoshin's usage of the shogo titles against correct usage by established arts.

19. Kogusoku

One word: Ippon.

20. K0koro

K0koro Valued Member

IPPON to who?

Everything and it appears everyone is treating this as a Japanese / Chinese art, it isn't, it has never claimed to be. It just acknowledges where its roots are, and where some of its training has come from. It also incorporates aspects of Savate, and unless I'm mistaken that aint in Asia!!!!!!!!!!! (although knowing the French they could well claim it is if it is to their benefit :rolleyes: )

The only people who can deal with this is the two heads of the system, if neither of them are willing to talk to one another there aint anything we can do on here other than speculate and gossip about it.

Bear in mind as well, Hoshin is an organization which allows individual of differing styles to come together and train with no ego, learn from one another and experience other experiences, it is not for everyone, that is not good nor bad, just a way of life.