Horse stance: is it ineffective training?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Monkey_Magic, Jul 1, 2018.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You are wrong I can't put it better than that

There are better ways to get what you are on about than stance work

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

As I was told years ago; static static balance is not the same as dynamic balance, and both have to be trained separately.

Thing is, exercises involving standing on one leg, such as slow-motion kicking, are far superior in exercising stabiliser muscles and core muscles than static stances with both legs on the floor.

3. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Lennon, I think the issue is that teachers who emphasise either time-inefficient or ineffective training are doing their students a disservice.

4. Lennon

Lennon Member

I don’t think anyone would argu with you there :)

Tom bayley likes this.
  5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

so you now concede that understanding from static drills IS transferable to dynamic activities.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Did you miss the "very basic level" part?

In a rational training programme, static drills are used in the first few workouts when learning new skills to provide initial reference points. But static drills quickly become redundant as motor skills develop; static drills can reduce coordination, speed and agility in full-speed, dynamic actions if they are practiced often.

But nice try.

axelb and icefield like this.
  7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

The daft thing here is the "either/or" mentality.

I use standing practice to complement my other workouts, whether that be weights, sparring or whatever.
    Using the methods I outlined above before and after exercise to release excess tension.

The internal aspect of the static postures should then be carried over into moving practice, whether that be martial arts drills, weight lifting or whatever.

chatter box, aaradia and Travess like this.
  8. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

It becomes “either/or” when instructors use (finite) class time with methods that aren’t the most effective.

What’s done outside class as supplementary training isn’t an issue.

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

1st) in that case, where does the student learn and refine the method, if not from the teacher?
    I close each of my classes with a couple of reps of posture holding. In total, maybe 2 minutes are spent on it. However, the essence of the practice (releasing tension) is re-enforced throughout class.

2nd) "aren't the most effective" - effective for what??

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In Chinese wrestling, there are 13 static standings that can also be done dynamic. Here are both static standing and dynamic standing for "钝链割谷 (Dun Lian Ge Gu) Dull sickle cut rice". The MA application is ankle pick. You lock your foot behind your opponent's ankle. You then use your hand to grab his ankle.

Which training will give you more benefit? IMO, the static training doesn't develop the flexibility that your hand can reach to your own foot. The static standing is the 1st step. The dynamic standing is the 2nd step.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Well since he was talking about strength training in his first post I'm assuming he means not effective for strength training

I'd also add not the most effective way to build mental toughness or kinetic awareness for fighting either

And seeing as you are talking about another use his point probably doesn't apply to you or your class so you can rest easy :)

As for either or he is right in that time is precious so a good coach will make the most use of that time and use the most effective methods in class to develop what ever attributes they are looking to develop in their students.

Good coaches should also be able to say when they don't know something and either direct their student to external trainers or extra curricula/additional training outside of class time

Van Zandt and Monkey_Magic like this.