Hoplomachia

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Knight_Errant, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Apparently, greek hoplite soldiers had a kind of system of drills and forms to keep their skills up to scratch in between fights. Does anyone know anything about this?

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

A Smidgen,
    A starter book on the subject would be Warfare in the Classical World by John Warry (Salamander), this goes thru military drill and techniques from approx 2000BC to 1000AD and contains decent amounts of info on Greek warfare including sub-sections on Hoplite drills (Theban, Spartan etc).

Probably got it or something similar in a decent second hand bookshop near you or the library.

Also Combat Sports in the Ancient World by Michael Polliakoff (Yale Uni Press) mentions Hoplite drills with relevance and in comparison between Combat sports and Warfare practice in Mycenean period Greece.

A review of Combat Sports (Which is well worth reading) is here on the book reviews page:

http://www.martialartsadvice.com/cat.php?cat=4

Finally the Hoplology Institute founded by Smith, Draeger, Chambers etc has quite extensive notes on it.

Can't remember the URL of top of head but Google Hoplology and you will find it, they are based in Arizona and have many back issues of their very important Mag.

Why KE? Are you planning to get Anarchists to undertake Hoplite training so that you can combat Riot Police tactics?
    Perhaps the Macedonian phalanx would be a better option?

3. Knight_Errant

Thanks man. Nah, I'm thinking in terms of roman line (joke...)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2003
  4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I'd go for Theban style Peltasts as my skirmishing Syndicalists and Parthian shot style Crusties with Dogs on Strings as an attack brigade.

Also my Ord would be famished and overheated vegan skatepunks who have falsely been told that behind the Police lines are vintage Minor threat Lps on Vinyl about to be melted down to make BNP pamphlets...

Anyways good luck.

5. Knight_Errant