Hopkins v Calzaghe

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Tom O'Brien, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

They are scheduled to fight on 4/19. Who do you guys think will win?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Here goes the prefight hype...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJKW0p03_KA&feature=related"]Hopkins vs Calzaghe official promo video - YouTube[/ame]

3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

As much as I'd like Calzaghe to win thi, I'm not entirely sure he can. Hopkins is hot.

Em

4. slipthejab

The war of the words is on:
    Which was a response to this by Calzaghe:

all of which was started by this release here about Hopkins and his team of trainers he put together:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Heard it all before, lets just get it OWWWN!!

Im just glad Joe didn’t say "i'll never let a black man beat me"

6. slipthejab

QFT... Joe doesn't strike me as that sort of fella anyhow. Has there been a famous UK boxer who towed that line recently?:confused:

7. Hiroji

Not that i know of slip.

8. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Well, there was the whole thing with Hopkins and Calzaghe. opkins said he was never going to let a white boy beat him, to which Joe rebuked "I'm not going to let a white man, back man yellow man blah blah blah beat me" Joe was accused of being racist when all he did was state that he wasn't going to let anybody beat him in a rebuttal of a racist remark :confused: :confused:

Em

9. slipthejab

ahh interesting. Yeah it seems like Joe's words got twisted a bit there. Hmm.
    The original thing as posted by Hirjoi sounded like something out of the 1930's when white fighters dodged black fighters for years. Jack Johnson had to fight other black fighters dozens of times before he ever got a shot at the big belts... simply because the white fighters dodged him.

B-hop is from Philly after all... one tough town with no love lost on race relations that's for damn sure... so I'm not surprised at his angle on it. Should make for a hell of a fight.

10. Hiroji

lol funny how Calzaghe was accused of being the racist :rolleyes:

Either way, both are great fighters so should be a smasher!

11. slipthejab

I wonder what Yank judges are going to make of Calzaghe's jab-n-move style. I suspect that Calzaghe doesn't really hit hard enough to worry B-hop - but I know that B-hops hits will damage Calzaghe something fierce if they land. B-hop's pretty much used to dealing with any sort of style in the ring... so it'll be interesting to see if Calzaghe can use what he does best... I think B-hop will shut him down... he's not going to let him play his normal game plan. B-hop is now 43... but he's always in phenomenal shape so it'll be anyones guess as to who wins it.:eek:

I've got some serious thinking to do before I rind the bookie. :D

12. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Slip - Calzaghe is from philly also - Caerphilly borough. Joe to win it i reckon. I've never met him myself, but a few of the lads i train with have, reckon he's a really nice bloke outside of the ring, but an animal once in the ring.

13. slipthejab

hahaha!! I was reading and got as far 'Calzaghe is from philly also..' I was like WTF?!? How did I not know?! I though he was Welsh... lol... and then I read on.:p

14. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

BHOP vs. Calzaghe keys!!

what i have:
    #1 Bhop will look to spoil calzaghe's boxing.
    how can he do it?
    Clean dirty tactics, a headbutt, a lowblow, lots of clinching and pressing his weight on joe's body, to wear him down and try to win by ud.Also, lok for bhop to try and "James Toney" with his shoulder rolls and slick body movement.
    #2 Joe will do what joe does, start off extremly busy, throwing over 100 punches a round, and, if a clinche insuers, he will fight out of it.

Honestly, i see one of 3 things happening:
    #1, possible a fight of the year if they try to go toe to toe, and , if it happens, i see calzaghe fluncking hopkins.
    #2 , if it is anything like the winky fight, lots of inclose, dirty fighting, with cuts.Not pretty, nor exciting, which means this could go either way, joe hitting more punches, but hopkins causing damage to the head/face/eyes of joe.
    #3 , Each doing what they do best:
    Hopkins trying to counter punch, tie up and fight dirty in close/clinche
    Joe just circling and throwing combos at will.

I am hoping for fight #1 or 3, as it will be exciting.
    Still , look for joe to beat hopkins, as he has 3 things:
    #1 Age
    #2 Stamina never ends
    #3 punches in bunches like no one else.

15. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Unless Hopkins catches Joe and I don't think he will - Joe will win a decision. IMHO

Thanks,
    Tom

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Joe is my homeboy, I'm from philly too :D It's so rough round there even the rotweillers go round in pairs, B-Hop won't know what hit him :p

Seriously though, I'm going for Joe for TKO in the 8th. He's an outstanding boxer but IMO everytime he fights there's a "can he do it again" tension. He's not let us down so far.

Have faith in the boyo ;)

17. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Hmmm, TKO might be a little ambitious there, but what the hell. Tra-arglwyddiaeth o'r byd i'r Gymry and all that......

Emily

18. Boondoc_Saint

Boondoc_Saint Valued Member

At first i wanted hopkins to win because were from the same city, but a guy at my gym wanted me to put some money on calzaghe. So of course being the degenerate gambler i am i did. Now im officialy a calzaghe fan.

19. =control freak=

=control freak= Valued Member

Did you get good odds? Everywhere I look in the UK Calzaghe is strong favourite.

20. slipthejab

ROTFLMAO.
    Get out of Philly while you still can. :D