Home training routines?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by LemonSloth, Aug 23, 2013.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Hey peeps

I was just curious as to what training routines we all have for our karate training at home? You know, average days/nights of the week, what types of training you do, how you distribute your training, etc?

For example, I practice Kihon Waza 3 times a week on average, Hojo Undo and Kata at least twice a week (sometimes I practice more kata after a good training session if the wife doesn't mind me being out of the house for longer) and try to fit in a mixture of bag work, pad work and makiwara training at least twice a week in addition to any dojo time I get. I also try to make sure that every training session (heavy bag and tractor tyre excepted) lasts over an hour a time too.

It'd be nice to know what other people are doing, see if we can share ideas as well.

So what do you guys like to do?

2. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

In mi case, as I'm in IFK, for our exams we have to go over the basic kihon of all the grades starting at 10th kyu. So, I practice that, 10th, 9th, 8th. Rinse and repeat. This is at random times, usually in the bathroom with the mirror. So this is almost every day.

Then I also focus on specific techniques that are weak, going over them slowly, etc.

Kata I should practice much more than what I do, as I'm quite clumsy. Problem is finding a good space for them.

3. kernewek

kernewek Valued Member

I practice footwork/stepping whilst moving around the kitchen cooking/clearing away :)

4. LemonSloth

I used to do this at my old dojo - I got myself a copy of the black belt grading syllabus and every night would slap on a pair of 2kg wrist weights and do each technique 20 - 40 times a piece. I picked up a lot of injuries that way mind.

With the katas though, I have the same problem. I can go in the main road next to my house late at night, but the constant threat of broken glass, cars parked and unwanted attention is a deterrent. I try to perform them inside, but it does get frustrating taking a step forward, then a full step back just to take another forward (etc).

Now I've changed dojos and have a tiny back yard, I go outside and drill each technique slow then fast in approx the same quantities.

What do you do to stop yourself getting frustrated practising the same combo of techniques?

Lol, 'tis good fun that :D

I used to walk through the hallways practising mae geri, until one day I did it a bit vigorously and fell over in spectacular fashion :eek:

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Recently I've been spending a lot of time running through which drills to include in my new book and which to leave out, so I've been nipping to the Dojo for 2-2.5 hours training 3-4 days a week with Sampsi on top of the normal classes.

I don't get frustrated practicing the same combinations of techniques. I've been known to spend two hours just practicing a single turn over and over again. :)

At home I'll daily work a few drills or kata on the spot, do some slow kicking and supplement my training with walking, short rowing sessions, tacfit and weights. I got rid of my makiwara and bag 9 years ago so only do impact work in class.

I don't have anywhere inside large enough to do a single Shotokan Kata all the way through (other than the Tekki), but I've no issues with doing them in segments. I can do my own forms on the spot in either the kitchen or the living room so I'll do these at any point in time throughout the day.

6. LemonSloth

New book? Tell us more :)

Normally I don't either and I've been known to spend entire training sessions on one technique. I tend to reserve certain days for certain training types. But due to the fact I experience frequent bouts of chronic pain and mobility restrictions intermittently as well as noticeable mood swings, trying to force my body to move correctly on those days can be really, really soul destroying. So far though I'm finding just changing the order I do things really helps mind, but it's always nice to do more.

Have you noticed any significant changes in your impact training at all? Loss of power, fitness, etc?

My instructor doesn't overly encourage impact work during class unfortunately as he advocates partner work as a bigger priority. Which is all well and good, but it means I have to find the time to do impact work at home.

I hope this doesn't come across too personal, but do you have kids? If so, how do they affect your training?

7. John Titchen

This is a work on the Pinan/Heian Kata. It has a few overlaps with my previous book, but I'd say that 80% of the content is new. The last book was written in 2004 and I've made a lot of changes to my training since then, plus have a different perception of how best to apply certain movements. That doesn't make the last book redundant, but it is perhaps better for people wanting to work at a different distance. All being well the first tier of photography for this project will take place next week (and if my publisher is reading this I'm sure he'll be pleased :) ).

Variety helps with technique development. I spend a lot of time working on stepping, angle changing and weight distribution. Depending on how you are feeling there's no reason why you can't vary stance depth to suit mobility.

No. When I bought those tools in 1992 (bag) and 1994 (makiwara) respectively I was in classes that had no padwork. Impact work plays a significant part in my own classes and is often tied into drills with the padholder (or armour wearer) attacking the striker. I'd say that since losing the bag I've probably lost power in my roundhouse shin kicks and I have bought a bracket to hang a new bag, just not got round to buying a bag and fitting it (I've already discovered I'm allergic to the contents of my bricks after one lovely rip to A&E).

That's a shame, but at least you are getting plenty of partnered work in class. The big issue with little padwork in class is that there's no-one to coach your technique. Perhaps you could video it and share with some of the experienced hitters here?

No kids. :)

8. LemonSloth

Awesome stuff! Let us know when it comes out, I'll be sure to show my support :)

I try not to if I can help it just because if I'm not careful I'm no longer realistically performing the stance correctly mind, but sometimes it has to be done.

How bad was it?

If I can get the wife's iPad out of my oldest boys' hands and get the recording bit to function, I might have to consider that. Depending on circumstances I might also be taking up either boxing or kickboxing on the side, so I would hopefully get some pointers on good form with hitting things other than people :)

Ah, fair enough. It does become a different beast once lego pieces start hiding in plain sight, children think you're fighting the air and want to join in by hitting you in the crown jewels, babies grab your legs and everything else inbetween :D

9. John Titchen

Will do. I've a few small bits on the youtube channel, but this stuff is great fun!

Light training in a higher stance working weight distribution and power generation is better than no training. :)

Just slight puffiness of the face and skin going blotchy. I got myself treated before it got any worse.

Form is likely to be quite different. Personally I don't regard punching or kicking as the core tactics of karate, but if your classes focus on this then that form of cross training might be more problematic than a grappling style. Videoing yourself even without sharing is a great way to analyse your technique.

I have a dog who is occasionally interested in doing the same.

10. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Haha, i have that all the time. Kata practice is a nightmare..

Oh.. and pushups. Now I get to do my own bodyweight and that of a 4 year old, plus the added bonus of not being able to breathe as his arms are wrapped so tightly around my neck. :)

11. LemonSloth

This :D

Also, bicep curls with five year old children is fun - with added lung strain for all the raspberries you have to blow :D

12. kernewek

kernewek Valued Member

:) There is also nothing like a six year old with a plastic sword actually trying to hit you with it as hard as they can to make sure your blocks work.

13. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

And Turkish get ups, or leg raises with a child on each foot. Then there's iron shirt training from them jumping on your guts from the couch (if you're lucky, that's whee they will land).

14. LemonSloth

Wait, you're blocking?! I declare shenanigans! Don't you know you're supposed to side step everything?!

Oh yes, that's true. Particularly if you've dozed off and are completely unsuspecting, plus they play the "mummy told me to" card.

...cheats.

If you've ever had your kids try and run through your legs too, 'tis iron crotch training :D :cry:

15. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

My son has actually started training Karate, so Im actually having to block with purpose now.