home made wing chun dummy...

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by kenpoguy, Aug 17, 2004.

1. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

I have at last done it, i believe. I have finally designed a wing chun dummy with my own two hands that costs very little and appears to be very sturdy and strong. I will get pictures and detailed instructions on how to build it hopefully tommorow. But to sum it up I did as follows

- I created the frame/stand out of wood(copied off Randy Williams design, and then modified it)
    -used a pvc body(cut approximate holes according to traditional wing chun dummies)
    -used arms made of wood(arms were not traditonal because they were completely square and cornered)
    -used a tree branch for the leg
    -used pvc pipes for the crosspieces(are flimsy yet sturdy, which is good considering the ideal crosspieces allow for plenty of bending and movement)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The tools that i used were as follows(most of it was incredibly basic)

-hammer
    -nails(of course)
    -jigsaw
    -wood burner(to melt pvc pipe with)
    -tabletop saw
    -lumber
    -pvc
    -drill

I must stress that overall for being a dummy made of pvc pipe and wood, it is excellent!! Sure as heck beats the cheap all pvc ones. And on the mega plus side, the dummy isnt going to fly off or move anywhere!! The stand is very sturdy and doesnt need to be attached to a wall! The crosspieces are basically jammed into four holes in pieces attached to the legs of the stand(which locks them in place). When I do include a picture, some of the cuts may appear to be a little larger than they should be(but this makes no differnce in dummy performance!!) In fact, on the next one i build it should be compeletly flawless, as I did go through many trial and error processes on this one. And perhaps most importnatly it took me little time to build. If you have a spare weekend, it would be a great project to do. I will soon be building an all wood one which will hopefully turn out well. :D

2. Mr_Grumpy

Mr_Grumpy New Member

Any chance of sharing the design? been looking to making one because I can't afford to buy one since they're quite expensive.
    How hard/easy is it to make?

3. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Wow, that's great, kenpo.

So, what kind of wood did you use for the leg? Have seen those tree branch legs but all of them have been broken, usually by a 7th set kick.

Have you gone full throttle on it with the 6, 7, or 8th set kicks yet? :confused:

4. OblivionsAvatar

OblivionsAvatar New Member

We want schematics!! We want schematics!! We want schematics!!...should I go on :)

5. xuande

xuande New Member

I'm very interested to now what kind of wood you used. In my experience for the training we do out my school you need a very strong wood, our dummies are made of teak and even then we've had the legs and the arms break.

6. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply..

I am writing up the plans and am getting ready to take pics as we speak. The wood used can be virtually any type of wood that is hardwood.(especially in this case becasue i did not round the arms off)
    -But again the body was made out of pvc. I hope to make a full wooden one soon. WHen I do post the schematics you may recognize some of them from a website that gives away free ones. I took those, and then modified them down so I could effectivly use them. I then bascially built the entire stand from my own approxiamations. :D

7. Master Lee

Master Lee New Member

Good Job I think dummy prices are rediculous

8. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

i think our buddhist ancestors of wing chun will invent a new form and kick all our asses with it for the crazy prices of dummies and some training. i like sifus that train to keep the school open and survive off of, not live luxurious off of.

9. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

That is great. I built two of them a few years back. I used a 5' piece of telephone pole for the body, I also used Randy williams design (my version of it) for the stand, I used pressure treated 4"x4" 's. I found that you can Chisel through the pole quite easily, you just better make sure that you get it right the first time. I built mine for less than $100 with NO power tools except a cordless drill. I used 1/4" bolts to tie it together, The body is suspended by two 1"x4" oak boards which pass through the body. It is even ajustable height. Great project.

10. Gohanssj

Gohanssj New Member

I might get my father to help me out here a bit, hes an ex Carpenter, and we use to make things like frames and stuff a few years ago, a long time ago he use to build houses, and he knows the source for good hardwood, and he could also round everything off to perfection, all I need is some plans lol.

11. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

I made many calls about telephone poles, but am told that they are usually chemically coated. Otherwise, I would certnatily agree its a great way to make a dummy. I will try to get the picture to work of the one i built.(have been having trouble with attachment button on MAP)

12. toomuchmind

toomuchmind New Member

I'd like to see some photos!

13. Richie

Richie New Member

Try speaking to some fencing contractors, specifically ones that erect fences on farms.

The "strainer" posts (big ones at each end and the ones gates are hung on) should be adequate anough for a WC dummy body and they can come non-treated and cut to any length you need.

14. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

i apologize for necroposting, but is there an update for this? I'm lookin for plans/pics of your finished work, any word on its ETA? thanks!

15. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Sorry Geenius, I don't have the plans anymore, I will take some photos but I don't have a digital camera. I will post some when I can borrow one.

16. ajchris

ajchris New Member

Homemade Wing Chun Dummy Body. My research

Jerks make rude comments. They think because they find no use in something nobody else will. So stop yelling and stating the obvious. I can read you don't need to shout. You ruined my first post with your jerk response. I an leaving this group because of you. I hope someday you learn Respect for someone other than yourself. I wish you the best in everything you do. I found info I wanted to share and you wanted to be a smartass. You won !!! You are a smartass. I hope you feel a sense of accomplishment. Now I am done.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  17. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

IT CAME FROM SIX YEARS AGO!

Attached Files:

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yes, back in the day when telephone poles were made out of wood - they were preserved with coal-tar creosote (also called carbolineum) which is a known carcinogen.
    source: wikipedia

So not what you want in your training area!!:confused:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

holy crap, this thread died before i joined the forum