Home gym/training areas

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by neems, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably not. Structural support piers (pillar) with the use of masonry require rebar set in the concrete to a specified depth in their construction, and their cells are filled with mortar. You would use as much mortar to fill the cells as you would probably need in concrete to make a good pad.

Masonry support is strong against compression forces, not so much tension/shearing forces. With a heavy bag constantly being hit, tension/shearing forces are going to be your primary concern. In an area with weather that gets cold, water constantly freezing and expanding within cracks in the mortar will probably become a significant issue as well.

The majority of pillars that have masonry aren't being supported by the masonry. There's either a heavily reinforced, all concrete pillar underneath in large buildings, or a thick piece of timber in smaller buildings/residential buildings. The masonry generally isn't even touching the supporting structure. It's the same in brick houses. The bricks don't touch the wall of the house that's providing support; there's a gap. CMU (cinder block) is often used for support walls, but they're also very heavily reinforced.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I guess in my garages in the past there has been a single skin wall adding lateral support to the piers. There certainly was no rebar and I never had any issues.

3. Ero-Sennin

Could you provide a picture? The pier itself should definitely have had rebar in it, the wall might have had different specs depending on length/height where reinforcement is concerned but I've never seen a wall that didn't have at least a few pieces, even if it was just for decorative purposes.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The shed is tanalised treated wood. I had a concrete base put down and the shed directly on top of it. Unfortunately, I would do it slightly differently now, I just didn't occur to me about the water getting in. I have filled round the bottom with an outdoor filler, but there are a couple of places the water is still getting in. I will be putting another layer of filler down and may try some waterproof bitumen mastic to cover it. I would struggle to jack the thing up and fill caulk under it, but as long as I can get the outside waterproofed, I'll be happy. There are a few bits round the window that are still leaking and I will be sealing them with silicone. I'm also installing a gutter on the back to limit the runoff and reduce the pooling water that I think is causing some of the problems. At some point in the future, I may actually look into getting a proper brick built structure put there.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

ROTFLMAO! So glad I left that biscuit tin in the Mod lounge! :)

Mitch likes this.
  6. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Post some pictures as you progress. Long term goal of mine is to have one of these training areas at home also. Would love to see how yours comes along.

axelb likes this.
  7. Ero-Sennin

So I decided to construct a heavy bag stand. I ended up constructing something that could probably hoist the front end of a truck xD. Both pillars and braces are concreted in, all 4x6 wood. After yanking on it laterally it barely budges due to being bolted on the sides and in the middle so I'm putting off putting braces for lateral movement at the top of the frame unless it starts looking like it needs it.

The project took a total of:

2 - 4'x6'x12' lumber (pillars)
    5 - 4'x6'x8' lumber (4 for braces, one between 2x6's for mounting hook for heavy bag and lateral movement support)
    2 - 2x6x12' lumber (beam construction at top)
    10 - 5/8"x10' bolts w/ washers and nuts
    1 - box 3.5" screws (used to fasten braces to beams)
    6 - 60lb bags high strength concrete (used at foot of braces to form concrete pad, braces run through pad)
    2 - 80lb bags high strength concrete (used for cementing pillars in ground)
    1 - 8" eye ring hook (for hanging heavy bag)

The pillars are roughly 3' in the ground, and from the platform I have about 8'6" of clearance.

It looks crooked in the picture but it's only because it's at a slight angle from the house so it's not parallel to it, and the platform needs to be adjust to be centered and raised up on the left end about 1" to be level. I ensure you that everything is level, because that was the hardest part of this project that probably added another hour to it finagling with dirt and making me want to destroy it all ::tear::

Total cost was about $350.00, you could probably get away with using smaller lumber and less concrete and only foot a bill around $200.00. I went with what I did because I'm going to have a friend weld a frame for a speed bag on the side, potentially hang two heavy bags in the area if I can get my girlfriend into some boxing, and I will also probably be building a cable system for weightlifting as well.

heavy.jpg

Frodocious, axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.