Holy Holm Title Reign Is ILLEGAL.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by DARKREALITY, Dec 8, 2015.

1. DARKREALITY

DARKREALITY Valued Member

I have been watching replays of the Holy Holm vs Ronda Rousey match and I have noticed something that was not right. It clearly shows that after the kick to the neck, Holy proceeds to hit Ronda in the back of the head. A blow to the back of the head is illegal. If the opponent is hit with an illegal blow, then they have up to 5 minutes to recover from it. Ronda was not given this time. If Ronda took this to a court of law, then evidence is right there for all to see and I would consider this an open and shut case. I suggest Holy Holm be stripped of the championship, and Ronda Rousey be reinstated as the champion. The bout would have to be declared a no contest, and so Ronda Rousey would still be undefeated. Holy Holm would then be granted a rematch.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's a bit redundant, the fight was already over when the strike landed.
    Also after a quick watch Ronda turned her face away from the strike.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yeah, but no.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Even Ronda wouldn't accept that technicality.

She lost.
    She knows it.
    She accepts it.
    She's working in fixing it.
    She got outclassed.
    She's taking responsibility for it.

... Like a champion

5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Not from a strike to the back of the head they don't!

Such strikes happen fairly regularly, and whilst they are considered 'illegal' you will often just hear a verbal instruction offered by the Ref. (i.e. 'Watch the back of the head shots') and then, only if his instructions aren't heeded, will he intercede. Even so, this will often take the form of a point deduction, and even then the fighters will only get as long as it takes to issue the warning to 'recuperate'.

I think we can agree that there were barely enough fractions of second left of the fight, following the neck kick, for there to be even the possibility of a repeated, and intentional infraction of the rules.

Regards

Travess

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wrong

Hope this helps

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

This is the second post of this user. Both posts have been........ I smell something fishy.

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If you had fought before you would know that in a fight, stuff happens and referees will overlook certain misdemeanour's if they genuinely believe it to have not been done purposefully.

Maybe Ronda did take a shot to the back of the head, and had she not of have been knocked out and had the referee had noticed it he may have broken the fighters up and given Holly a verbal warning. A lot of "ands". It doesn't matter though at the end of the day because the fight was was over before any further strikes landed and everyone knows it.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

YEP

Attached Files:

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Uh huh.

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yeah, I want to see a gif of this supposed headshot. I have a hard time believing all the RR haters on some MMA forums I am on all missed this. If this was a real issue, I would have heard of it before now.

GIF or clip showing it or it didn't happen IMO.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It did happen, but like I said, it happened because she turned away from the punch.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Pretty much this. The Ref can see that a strike aiming for a "legal" area, then having the target move and becoming "illegal" area and then connecting. In that split second, the Ref (and pretty much everyone else) can see that the intent was to hit the correct place.

However, with adrenaline and excitment running through with the thought of winning, some fighters tend to just donkeykong smash regardless.

Brandon Vera is one example, of when he won by Soccer Kick (One FC)....the 3rd Soccer Kick was to the back of the head - therefore a foul - but the Ref was stepping in to stop it anyway.

15. DARKREALITY

DARKREALITY Valued Member

If an injury sustained during competition as a result of an accidental foul, as determined by the referee, is severe enough for the referee tostop the bout immediately, the bout shall result in a no contest if stopped before two rounds have been completed in a three round bout or if stoppedbefore three rounds have been completed in a five round bout.

16. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

There's a wide degree between hitting an area you shouldn't on accident, and hitting it on purpose before we call foul play.

Besides, Holly was already dominating the fight, it was over the moment her leg connected so even a 'wrong' punch doesnt change that. It's moot and rules lawyering like this goes against the spirit of sport. I'm sure that winning on a technicality while actualy losig is the stuff dreamsare made of :rolleyes:

But I'm pretty sure this is just a troll. Good attempt, but you'll find that altough people here ar bad at recognizing trolling, tempers dont explode easily here and it just sorta changes into legitiame discussion. You wont have much fun trolling here

17. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

Irrelevant really, she was already out of it after the head kick, Holm could have spent 5 minutes tickling her and she still wouldn't have gotten back into the fight.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I disagree with this example being illegal but I find it interesting when people say this doesn't matter because she'd already won. I feel like if you knock someone out but then batter them with illegal strikes (Belfort is a fair example of doing this) then I don't really care if you obviously "won" I think it should be a DQ. You managed the hard work of knocking someone out, you should be able to continue to control yourself and follow the rules. Things like strikes to the back of the head that are banned for being dangerous are still dangerous to an unconscious opponent. The foul you're committing is exactly the same

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think the injury was sustained from a head kick that would have knocked out an elephant.

20. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

Ideally yes. But it's one thing to sit calm relaxed behind a keyboard and say that, but I would imagine it's slightly different when Rhonda drops to the floor and you are over come with the adrenalin and excitement of "Holy Adalia bipunctata I can win this".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015