Holidays

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Andrew2011, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

I'm looking for ideas for a break - short holiday - and wondering what people here do? I don't drink or "party" so was wondering what ideas you might have whether to relax/re-energies/exercise/learn but to get away somewhere?

2. rivend

rivend Valued Member

A short camping trip it doesn't have to be secluded or remote maybe at one of those camper parks or lake parks.If you are new to camping find a place with a water supply and even electricity and restroom facilities.You may enjoy it and get some idea as to what you would really like to be doing.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Whereabouts are you based? I've done a few city breaks in recent years and found them really good fun. I've done them by myself and with friends. They can be as long or as short as you want and as hectic or relaxed as you want. Most big tourist cities have a good compliment of museums and/or historic sites to keep you busy during the day and decent places to eat and relax during the evening.

4. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Based in London so was hoping to get out of the city.

5. Frodocious

I'm not really a city person but I spent a great week in Krakow a couple of years ago, as well as a few days in Gdansk and last November I went to Granada with some friends for a long weekend. None of these 'cities' have the same insane, hectic feel that you get in London.

How long are you wanting to go away for, do you have a budget in mind and do you want to organise and plan your trip as you go or do you want a 'tour' type holiday? I can recommend some companies that run off the beaten path/small group/single traveller trips to all sorts of interesting places, if you're interested.

6. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Low budget so would probably be UK based. Also my passport photo is about 11 years out of date. Yes if you could PM me or post any links that would be great thanks.

7. Frodocious

With cheap flights you can go to many European cities for less than you would spend in the UK. Most of the companies I'd recommend are a bit more expensive but I'll pm a few over to you later today.

Apply for a new passport now!

8. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Good advice thanks. That brings up not wanting/expecting to speak to foreigners in English though ;)

9. Frodocious

It depends where you go. I had no problem with the language thing in Gdansk and Krakow (although I did speak a little Polish as I was working over there at the time - only for 3 months mind you, so basic Polish was 'hello', 'goodbye', 'yes', 'no', and 'I don't speak Polish'). I can't really comment on Granada, as the friends I went with are Spanish and they did all the communication for us. I spent 3 months in Stockholm last summer and 99% of people I met over there spoke fluent English. You will probably find that in places with a decent tourist market you can get by fairly easily and if you go with a tour company, the guides will be fluent in the language of the country you are visiting.

10. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Thanks for the ideas.