'Holding the Ball' - redirecting and counter-acting

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Dan Bian, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I think I demonstrated that holding the ball can be used as a defensive posture?

2. ned

ned Valued Member

I would'nt class 'turning the ball' as a posture in itself,especially as there are so many diverse applications using the same movements(at least in chen where turning the ball is an integral concept encompassing silk reeling,breathing exercises etc.

3. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Yes, there is no posture in Taijiquan, as it just moving continuously from form to form.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have to respectfully disagree.

There are postures. And one moves continuosly between them in forms.

But. as stated before, holding postures is and has been a part of TCC training for many.

In CLF and other - for lack of a better term - external arts, we have stance training. You don't stay static sparring or really fighting or doing forms. Heck, you don't even hold stances the same way (so deep) when fighting in any way. But tha doesn't mean stance training doesn't exist in external arts.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you use

- "Parting the Wild Horse Mane", your arm will be "above" your opponent's arm.When you touch a horse mane, your arm will be "above" it's neck and not below it.
    - "slantingly flying", your arm will be "below" your opponent's arm.

Since in that clip, his arm is below his opponent's arm, it can be called Taiji "diagonal fly", or SC "elbow locking", or SC "shoulder strike".

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  6. aaradia

Interesting to learn how others learn this, but not the way I have learned it.. Either move can be used above or below- usually below - but it can be higher. That PtWHM vs Cloud Hands clip shows the arm going under as well and calls it Parting the Wild Horses Mane as well.That clips shows the most common application we are taught (although not as a response to cloud hands so much.) Although this thread had reminded me that one can hit higher in a Biu Jong style strike- above the arm as well.

So this must be something taught differently at various schools. And that explains why it is called that in that clip you mention. They must learn it the way you do.

7. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Thanks, and if you put the arm under the opponent's you actually trapped you own arm under his elbow. In Shaiojiao you need to control both arms.

8. ned

ned Valued Member

In either scenario your opponents arm is still controlled by your blocking/trapping hand.
    If PWHM(arm on top)correctly done you throw your opponent,if arm is underneath,after the shoulder strike,
    raise your opponents arm to expose ribs/chest to follow with,for example,fair lady moves shuttle.
    Just how I see it ! :)

9. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Interesting conversation...

A couple of points from my (highly opinionated) perspective...

In forms there is only '1' move - you start, you move, you finish... The number of 'moves' - 8 or 13 or 16 or 24 or 38 or 88 or 108.... is only an aid to teaching the form (and in many cases a friendly nod to Chinese numerology and superstition - Eight being generally regarded as an auspicious number).

When I am teaching self defence, I often joke that I will be very cross with any student who gets into a fight and wins using an incorrect method... In other words, all applications are valid * IF * they work for you.

When I learn from my Sun style instructor, I have to disengage a whole section of my 'tai chi brain' as several of the names (of moves) that he uses are the same as ones I know from 'Yang' BUT used for different moves!!! BOY was that confusing at first... HOWEVER - on reflection it's a very good thing - the name is NOT the move...

10. ned

ned Valued Member

I agree,movement in a form is continuous but this thread has been discussing 'live'applications.
    As Robertmap points out there are multiple interpretations/uses for many moves
    and a fluid spontaneous response thats effective is the 'right" one(and the aim of my
    training)

11. aaradia

Nope, because your other arm is doing something to help control your opponents arm too. It is grabbing and keeping it extended.

And, you aren't staying in that positon, you are throwing your opponent anyways.

I liked how in that Shaiojiao clip, the guy was under the arm, but curled it up to control his opponents arms. I thought that was really interesting.

BTW, in class last Thursday, we were doing this drill. I was able to find a way to work in practicing what Dan Bian showed in his original clip. I was most pleased with the results.:)

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Here is another example that you use "shoulder strike" when your opponent applies "arm dragging" on you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw_kmMy0cG4"]Kao - YouTube[/ame]

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you use your under arm to

- strike upward on his elbow joint, it's called arm-locking (if your other hand also hold on his wrist).
    - strike side way under his shoulder, it's called body-control (if your leg also control his leg).
    - wrap around his waist, it's called embracing (if your other hand can lift his leg).

So your arm that's under your opponent's arm can perform many functions.

14. Dan Bian

Glad you liked it :)

Did you find that the opponent was 'in the right place' as you turned, or did you feel like you had to 'move yourself' into the right position?

15. aaradia

In the right place. But that might be due to the fact that I was throwing this in to a different, but similar type of drill. Kind of hard to tell.

I was just getting a little extra experimentation in when I saw the opportunity to add this to what we were doing.

There is another student and I that were talking about setting up some practice time to drill with each other not in a class, but he had a health issue pop up. When that settles down, I hope to set up some time with him. It would be a chance to experimente with things a little more freely than outside the framework of a class.

16. Dan Bian

17. aaradia

I was particularly focusing on the turning part at about 1:40ish in your video. the idea of that being a strike itself and not just a transition to the next move.

Basically, I just put a little more energy into the move and it really made what we were supposed to be doing much more effective. My opponent/ partner was noticably suprised by how effective my move was in throwing them off their attacking move.

Just a little tweak in intention and energy made it work so much better.

Like I said, I am terrible at explaining things. I hope this makes at least a little sense.

18. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Thanks for the advice on the under arm, but the video you show on arm dragging but did not match the first video of DB. Your video showing a left hand drag on the right arm while DB is using the right arm against the right arm. Therefore your suggested encounter on arm dragging does not work in his case. The normal encounter is just hit him on the head with the elbow as he pull the arm, or hold on his right wrist and drop the elbow pressing his left arm under the elbow and hit him on the hear with the left arm while both of his hands are trapped.

I think the Shuaijiao moves were very good in controlling both arms while DB just focus on one arm and is kind of dangerous not controlling the elbow in arm dragging as well.

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In Dan Bian's clip, he used "搂手(Lou Shou) - double pulling". In my clip, the teacher used "引手(Yin Shou) - arm dragging".

In DB's clip, when he uses his right hand grabs and pulls his opponent's right wrist, he also uses his left arm to jam his opponent's right elbow joint. This works the same as to put his left hand on his opponent's right elbow joint as the normal "搂手(Lou Shou) - double pulling (one hand on wrist, another hand on elbow)".

Since his opponent's own right arm is used to jam his own left arm, there is no need for him to control both arms. When you are in your opponent's side door and if you have controlled one arm, you have controlled both arms.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcP9WFthOi4"]Applied Tai Chi Principle - YouTube[/ame]

In my clip, the teacher tries to use "引手(Yin Shou) - arm dragging" to switch from front door into side door. In DB's clip, he is already in his opponent's side door.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw_kmMy0cG4"]Kao - YouTube[/ame][/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  20. Dan Bian

I'd also like to point out, that my original clip wasn't meant as a 'this is it' type clip - but rather an on-the-spot clip taken during a class, as a 'take home' for my guys, to help them when training at home.
    It's certainly not meant to reflect an actual combative encounter, but more of a principles study.