Ho kuk mu sul?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by MowJ, Sep 28, 2015.

1. MowJ

MowJ Valued Member

Hi I'm new to the forums. First let me say my martial arts experience is 1.5 years with an intermediate rank belt in Chun Kuk Do. If you are not familiar with CKD, it is Chuck Norris style of karate. I quit about a year ago due to some health reasons and also due to it becoming kind of a McDojo environment. Well I miss training so I was checking into another school in my area that has classes 3 nights a week for 2 hour periods vs the 45 min classes 2 x a week I was getting with CKD. Anyway I did some checking out of the school which is nothing compared to my previous dojo. It's just a little out of the way place and the grandmaster is in his 50s and has numerous academic as well as martial arts degrees. I know tthat there's a lot of people calling themselves grandmasters running around but after talking with a student online and calling the school I'm interested in the art. And the instructor seems genuine. I know what hapkido is but he teaches ho kuk mu sul with hapkido which he told me meant all nation martial art in korean or something like that. Has anyone here ever heard of ho kuk mu sul. Aside from some YouTube videos I can't find much about it. I'm going to visit the dojang soon and hope it's right for me.

2. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

Throw out a name and a place. Can't help without a name or a location. For instance, Master Jin Sang Un uses the name HKMS for his federation, and they are based out of Santa Cruz, California with about 2-3 satellite schools in a 30 mile vicinity.

3. MowJ

MowJ Valued Member

Master Roy king in wv. He is seen in videos with sang in Jin actually. His dojang is primarily Hapkido but he teaches it in conjunction with Hkms. I've never heard of Hkms. What exactly is it?

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Never heard of it.

Ask the instructor what it is - perhaps ask if it a form of Hapkido or how it is similar/different from Hapkido (or Taekwondo)

5. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

Depending on what he incorporated in his school, as of like 8 years ago or so Master Jin's students have been doing taeguk poomsae at tourneys in the bay area, but still do kuksool-esque forms through first degree. Kyeokpah Hyeong, SamBangCho (1-3), UnHakUnbi(Ssanghak)Hyeong are not on the syllabus as far as I know. If I remember correctly, they go up to japki and pyeong su. So yea, not really tkd, not really hkd in theory, but in practice probably very similar.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Is this the instructor you are referring to?
    http://www.wongmookwan.com/Home/wong-moo-kwan-korean-martial-arts-academy

For a person with " Grandmaster rank in two Korean, two Chinese, and two Japanese martial arts, Chiefmaster rank in one Korean, two Chinese, and two Japanese systems, Master rank in one Korean and Japanese styles, and Instructor rank in two more Korean and two more Chinese martial arts", I would be very curious to see a list of ranks (by organization) and instructors. It is a very impressive resume... I'd love to see more details.

7. MowJ

MowJ Valued Member

I've actually spoken with him on the phone. He seemed like a nice person, but basically told me more about his achievements than the art.