Hmmm - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by StuartA, Jul 25, 2013.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Heres hoping it leaves a big space for the 2 kids form our gym who made it into TeamGB through fighting chance.

3. Asterix187

Asterix187 Valued Member

Maybe they need more kicks from ITF! I watches most of the World's fights on stream and it was... to be honest... awful throughout the whole competition.

Basically chop kicks, the odd back kick and reverse turning kick.

I found the article funny when it mentioned WTF never checked until recently. You never know, next they may actually keep their arms up and block!

4. Asterix187

Asterix187 Valued Member

They did well. I have put some photos of the BB Interclub that Mr Walker fought at on the Shipston website here http://bit.ly/12NAvQ1

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Coming to this a bit late so I apologise for resurrecting the thread.

Jade Jones' comments had me scratching my head a bit. The article says she brought the checking technique across with her from ITF/TAGB (can't recall which association she was with). But the British squad were using leg checks over ten years ago when I trained with them (when they were based in Loughborough).

The principle itself goes back even further to the "golden age" of American Karate in the 1960s and 70s when the likes of Skipper Mullins and Bill Wallace used it to great effect. Back then (and even today) it was/is called jamming.

As for GB being "one of the best kickers" - I'd be inclined to disagree. Korea, USA, Turkey and Iran are miles ahead in terms of kicking prowess. Example: compare Martin Stamper (GB) and Servet Tazegul (TUR) in the -68kg division. The gulf is obvious.

Good on Jones for winning gold in London. But her comments and overall attitude leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. She's still riding on the success of her Olympic win. She mentioned in another article (after losing) that "the best doesn't always win on the day." No, sweetheart. The best do win on the day - that's why they're the winner!

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I can see why results the year after a home Olympics would be a bit spotty. It's got to be hard to put in the hours when you know you'll never fight in a more important tournament ever again.

I can't say I'm disappointed after the way GB TKD behaved last year.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Jade was from a TAGB club in North Wales. Her timing was taught to her by her ex boxer grandad. I'm still related for a few months, all be it my marriage.