Hitting the gym at last

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Aegis, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Well done dude! Inspiring progress!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Superb results, Aegis.

Inspirational too.

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Wow that's some loss! Welcome to gainzville, population: you.

Great that you run to the gym also :D

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Just thought I'd post an update today because I let things slide a bit, but have been getting back into the gym over the last few weeks.

Today I:
    • Ran to the gym (1,400m or so)
    • Started with bench press (still fairly new to this, built up to a total weight of 45kg (including bar) over 4 sets of 10 reps)
    • 4 sets of 10 barbell squats (final set was 130kg including bar)
    • 3 sets of 10 deadlifts (failed on the final set at 5 reps), 70kg including bar
    • 3 supersets of 10 pull ups and 10 captain's chair crunches
    • 2 sets of 10 horizontal leg presses (I think the second set was at 137kg)
    • Pretty much collapsed, hence no third or forth sets of leg presses!
    Last week I discovered that I can lift 260kg on the sled leg press (220kg plus the weight of the sled itself) for a set of 10 reps, which I think is my most impressive lift so far and bodes really well for my squats when I work out how to manage all the weight without unbalancing myself!

If anyone has any recommendations for improvements to this whole-body workout, I'm genuinely open to suggestions. This tends to be what I aim for each time, with increasing weight or reps, though I mix the order up a bit to give me a shot at fresh muscles for each exercise. This does of course rely on people not constantly using the equipment I want, though!

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Are you really squatting twice what you deadlift ?

I'd suggest squatting first, benching second and then deadlift give yourself some rest between squats and deads

6. Aegis

At the moment, yes. I've been wary of deadlifts because of previous issues with my lower back which don't bother me at all with the squats. I've no idea at all what the general relationship should be between various exercises, so I might be playing it very cautious!

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Normally you would be dead lifting 30kg or more than you squat, but always sensible to take it easy if you have pre existing injuries

Aegis likes this.
  8. Aegis

Quoting myself to remind me of what I could do before having knee surgery. In recovery I'm taking it easier, but yesterday I managed to:
    • Run to the gym, with a small pain-management break in the middle.
    • 10 minutes on the cross trainer - resistance 15 out of 25 for most of that time.
    • 2 supersets of 10 chin ups and 20 bodyweight dips
    • 3 sets of squats at 70kg (long way to go to build that one back up)
    • Machine shoulder press - 50kg plus the machine weight for 3 sets of 10.
    Clearly needs bench press and deadlifts, but the gym was packed yesterday so I took what I could!

axelb and Mitch like this.
  9. Aegis

Random sample of where I am now. I'm doing a proper 5x5 system now, so today's workout was:

Stair climb. 932 steps in just over 8 minutes. Why 932? Because I'm doing Vertical Rush next week, climbing a 42 story building for charity (to clarify: taking the stairs, not climbing the outside of the building as some have suggested).

Squats:

Warmup
    5x20kg, 5x20kg, 5x40kg, 5x60kg, 3x80kg

Working sets
    5x5x92.5kg

Overhead Press:

Warmup
    5x20kg, 5x20kg, 3x35kg

Working sets
    5x5x47.5kg (failed to complete the first, fourth and fifth sets)

Deadlift:

Warmup
    5x60kg, 5x80kg, 5x90kg

Working set
    5x100kg

Collapse, walk home.

10. Aegis

Now definitely back to the gym after recovering from my spinal injury, so also back to the 5x5 system. Today I combined all five of the big lifts as follows:

Squats:
    Warmups
    5x5 at 80kg

Bench:
    Warmups
    5x5 at 70kg (PB)

Bent over rows:
    Warmups
    5x5 at 75kg (PB)

Overhead press:
    Warmups
    5x5 at 45kg

Deadlift:
    Warmups
    1x5 at 115kg (PB)

Feeling a bit broken now, but in a good way!

Grond, axelb, Pretty In Pink and 2 others like this.
  11. Aegis

And today:

Squats 82.5kg
    Bench 72.5kg (failed final set)
    Rows 77.5kg
    OHP 47.5kg (failed four sets!)
    Deadlift 120kg

Same format as above, so warmups followed by 5x5 for most exercises and 1x5 for deadlifts. Clearly I'm at my current maxes for a couple of exercises, but I appreciate that progressive overload is the name of the game, so all I need to do is get one more rep out next time and I'm still progressing.

12. Aegis

Today:

Squats 95kg
    Bench 72.5kg
    Rows 80kg
    OHP 50kg
    Deadlift 130kg (may have been 140kg, as I used the hex bar instead of a standard barbell)

No failed sets today - must be the creatine!

Anth likes this.
  13. Terry7987979

Terry7987979 New Member

Good luck to you to find a good guy, you'll see your health good in upcoming days. Good health doesn't come suddenly, instead it takes lot of effort and time to get noticed.