Hitting Power?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by oldyangtaiji, Sep 7, 2008.

1. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Naughty, naughty FQ......must resist...move away from the keyboard Carys :wow:

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

That's a resounding "yes" from Carys...

Cough Cough...Hay loft... Cough Couch

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

speed x force = power

4. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

errrrr nahhhh

Speed x Strength = Power

Mass X Acceleration = Force

Strength and force are not the same thing.

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

errr mmmm yes!!

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

This has been done before - that equation is so woefully inadequate for modeling striking power in Martial Artists it's not even funny.

7. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Surprise, Surprise didn't expect anything different with a answer like this one coming from someone like you lol.

At the end of the day, a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick.

You don't have to be the best at internal arts to make them count.

8. reikislapper

Depends on who's in the ring lol. :evil::evil:

I'd love to see one person in the ring and yes I'd be playing very hard, all women do, check it out lol.

9. Freud > God

Exactly. Nobody said the internal arts are superior at punching, we are saying the Internal means of generating power is no worse than the modern more conventional way (such as boxing)

10. reikislapper

Thing is, I'm not having a go here lol. With the internal arts they sometimes make a song and dance out of generating power with a punch, well guess what the power is already there and you don't need to spend time preparing to use it.
    All you have to do is get in the ring, get the job done and win.

No special formula with building the energy up and so forth it's just fighting like every other form of martial arts you've been trained in.

11. Freud > God

Firstly its not all about the ring, infact Martial Arts is born in warfare, combat, survival.

Also ring fighters train their muscles, build up the blood circulation, increase their energy (stamina) through hours and hours and more hours of sweating in the gym (They prepare their body for the sport, as opposed to not train and just turn up). The energy for instance flows through the blood (one of the ways anyway), is excersises to increase blood flow and strengthen muscles in the IMA not do the same thing? It just happens through another means of training.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  12. Dan Bian

Actually Lisa, if you haven't learnt to guide from the waist, the power will not be there.

And, having done several different martial arts, I can honestly say, done properly, IMA is a lot different to other forms.

13. Freud > God

What power generation did you use from your IMA? Was it Fa Jing?

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Can you elaborate on this, from your current perspective. Cheers.

15. Dan Bian

Any kind of Jin. Peng, Lu, Ji, An, Lie, Cai, Kao, Zhou or any of the multitude of other Jins.
    As always in Taiji, the power is generated in the legs, directed by the waste, and expressed through the arms (or where-ever it needs to be expressed).

I would like to hear your personal interpretation of 'Fa Jin' - what you think it means, how you think it is applied, and how it affects an opponent.

Well, I can try, but it would be easier if I knew exactly what you wanted me to elaborate on!
    If it is the difference between power in IMA to EMA... then it is very difficult to put into words.
    When striking, many EMA'ers "throw" a punch. It can be as technical as you like, but in the end the punch is "thrown".
    In IMA, the punch is there, and due to the way that IMA's are applied, the position of the opponent in relation to you means the punch "is".

As I say, it's hard to describe.

16. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

Holy mother of bat crap!

IMA's striking method really is different.
    Internal martial arts use something akin to a sudden twitch of the whole body that causes the fist and arm to explode forward and penetrate deeply. They also use almost unseen body mechanics, such as getting the perfect angle for this fist, using the dan tien (and I don't mean the qi, I mean the actual set of muscles in the stomach), dropping the weight, sinking the elbows etc.... Internal power is way different than the power generated in combat sports. OTOH, combat sports have the ability to generate the same amount of power, especially since they work on individual strikes against targets (bag, pads etc..) more often. However, the power is still different.
    Also re fajing: fajing is just a blanket term for the issuing of power (fa = expression, jing = trained force). All martial arts have fa jing, even if the don't call it that. :woo:

17. Dan Bian

Wujibu, you've just earned a beer :)

Great post!

18. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

So you're saying that internal martial artists achieve the same level as serious orthodox trained fighters, via different means?

19. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I recognise that even as part of this claim you already laid the ground work for your repsonse by stating that most of this is virtually unseeable... and I recognise that that really means that it's invisible to cameras... but, just for old time's sake, can you show me a video of you doing this - or someone else doing it?

You say that other combat sports can generate the same amount of power - that's actually a very clever reverse claim - Freud>God just did it as well... you're actually claiming that IMA punching method is as strong as orthodox, but different.... you're actually claiming to be as powerful as a boxer, etc., by saying "they can become just as powerful as us..."

Just, show me the video... And I say that as someone whose body mechanics are a bit different to a boxer's - at least on my southpaw side. But I'd think very carefully before saying I was as powerful as a boxer...

20. Dan Bian

Give me a few minutes, and I'll see if I have a clip. It'll be a demo, not a sparring clip. Is that ok?