Hit the stretching "wall", whats wrong with my routine?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jayla, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

Been training every other day now for close to 6 weeks but have hit a wall as far as stretching progress is concerned.

In the side split, I can get to around 12-15 inches from the ground, and hold it for about 3 minutes before my legs start shaking and I have to come up.

My usual routine is to go for a run (2-3 times per week), for about 5 miles. Immediately after I go straight into about 45 minutes of stretching.

Starting with touching my toes whilst standing, then sitting, several variations of these, basically working my hamstrings / hips in whatever way I can.

I do karate one night per week, then free running the other, both with a similar but slightly shorter stretching routine after. so that is 4-5 nights per week.

I can't seem to get any further with the side splits, what am I doing wrong? Is the running prior to stretching a bad idea? Help please!

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Two points:

1) You shouldn't be stretching for 45 minutes.

2) How much strength training do you do?

3. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

How come? The first few sets of stretches are tough, but after that it gets easy and I can go further. Is stretching too long a bad thing?

Not much targetted towards strength, mostly just cardio and then my usual routines (kihon, katas etc). I do some squats/lunges as part of my karate session, but nothing specific. Should I be doing so?

I should probably try your twice a day routine that you have posted in a similar thread

4. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Sorry to butt in but i also don't get this. Front splits-2.5 minutes x 2 legs x 5 sets= 25 mins. If you add in rest time and joint rotations and then possibly side splits, this must add up to 45 minutes?
    Me. Stick. Wrong end of?

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My answer is based on the assumption that you're only doing relaxed (static) stretches. At least that's the picture I'm getting by reading your original post. One stretch per muscle group, for two repetitions, is sufficient for increasing passive flexibility. Of course, you should experiment to determine which combination of exercises and set range works best for you. But T. Kurz states in Stretching Scientifically that doing more than two sets, or stretching more than twice per day, offers no added benefits. This is supported by my own research which has also shown excessive relaxed stretching to impair development of flexibility by overstressing connective tissues of the muscles affected. The "ideal" routine (for kickers) would be one exercise for the quadriceps and hip flexors, one exercise for the hamstrings and one exercise for the adductors (these are the muscle groups which tense up during kicks). The front split (knee of back leg pointing out to the side) covers the quadriceps, hamstrings and hip flexors (and adductors to a degree); the side split will suffice for the adductors. It typically takes 2-3 minutes at most to reach maximal range of motion per set. Therefore 4 sets for front splits (2 for each leg forward) plus 2 sets for side splits at 3 minutes per set would equal 18 minutes for the entire routine. You could alternate sides between sets of front splits to reduce the need for rest and no more than 30 seconds between side split sets would suffice.

Absolutely. Flexibility is, essentially, a display of strength at extreme ranges of motion. Increasing strength increases flexibility. For example, doing deep squats (at least 3 inches below parallel) with heavy weight makes it easier for you to do splits.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

See my post above. 45 minutes is excessive for relaxed stretches. If you're referring to the programme presented in the "Isometric split progression" thread then sure, you could well expect to be stretching for 45 minutes (or longer as you advance up the levels). But from Jayla's post it certainly appeared he/she (sorry Jayla, I don't know your gender!) was referring to relaxed stretches.