Hisardut or Kajukembo?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by mdgee, Jul 8, 2014.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Owen, I may just end up at the Jiu Jitsu/Judo school. They don't have much information on their page and it appears that their website was constructed with glue and a prayer.

I really was just curious what everyone here had to say. The other place, lv shaolin, never really was on my list. They sort of appeared at the last minute. About the only thing that may have opened their doors to me was if they had really created a jiu jitsu class. Sadly, they did not. Hisardut has elements of Jiu Jitsu and Judo that make it effective. So does Kajukenbo. And, of course, the third place I am considering teaches judo and jiu jitsu. Honestly, one person doesn't need much beyond those two martial arts to protect yourself from the average criminal. Maybe toss in escrima for good measure and you're set.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You know, at the end of the day, I think it's okay to make this decision based on a vibe. It doesn't necessarily have to have some deeply rooted concrete rationale to it. If one of these places "speaks to you," go for it. You know?

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Great advice, listen to this dude(tte?).

4. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I'm curious to see what you decide. I'm in Vegas as well, and have been suffering from the severe lack of a good Korean MA school here. I've looked at Ohana in Henderson (just around the corner from my house), as a possibility. If you are at all interested in Aikido, I know an excellent place...great people and instructors, just not he MA for me.

5. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Thanks but I'm not really into Aikido. More of a traditional Jiu Jitsu/Judo guy first. Ironically, both Hisardut and Kajukenbo both merged traditional jiu jitsu and judo into the martial arts.

I have a feeling I may be happier with Kajukenbo.

Funny thing. I chatted with another martial art guy who teaches in Nevada and his prices are great but my deaf son would be an issue for him because he has a small space. So, he quickly disqualified himself. He was very nice though. I think people that don't have large studios get scared off whenever you mention a child or an adult with a disability. That's why the Hisardut place may be the first one that welcomes my entire family with open arms. I think I mentioned that children with disabilities have a special place in Dennis Hanover's heart. That's why he has always opened his doors for everyone and that is a major turn on for a guy like me. After all, to me, my son has no disability. He's deaf. That doesn't prevent him from driving, swimming, running track, baseball, or most things. He can even play the drums too if he wants. I guess that guy has never heard of Matt Hamill. lol You know who Matt is, don't you?

In the end, the choice may not be mine. It will probably be the dojo or studio that welcomes my entire family that is the deciding factor.

One last thing. Is this the place you're speaking of?

http://www.ohanakenpokarate.com/contact.html

Or is there another Ohana place I don't know of?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  6. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Yes, that's the one. It really is shame that my art, Kuk Sool Won does not have a school here. It's a great family martial art and your son would be most welcomed. I saw that you asked about Hapkido in another thread. There are no traditional schools here, however there is a Combat Hapkido school. I'm not sure that is what you are looking for though.

7. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Xanth, I just found this school. Have you heard of it?

http://lvhapkido.com/?mode=discipline/Hapkido/home

And to answer your other question, that's pretty easy. I'm looking for a martial art that will accept all of my family regardless of handicap and something that will teach all of us how to defend ourselves in all situations. I enjoy the Asian martial arts and feel they are unique. However, as we can see from Hisardut, Kajukenbo, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, and many others, there isn't a perfect martial art. Some of the best styles are a combination of mixed martial arts. Even the French martial art known as Savate got it's early start from Asian and Indian martial arts.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  8. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

That's the combat Hapkido school. They only meet twice a week and I was honestly looking for a traditional school.

9. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Ahh. Two times a week isn't enough. Thanks for the information. I didn't realize they weren't traditional.

10. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Ben, I am told, by people in the know, that Lohan School of Shaolin would be a much better place to study if I wanted to go that route.

11. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Oh, and fyi, Matt Hamill studied wrestling in H.S. and college but he's been fighting MMA for a few years now. Look up videos of him on youtube. He recently made a comeback after taking time off. He also has a school where he teaches MMA. I think it's in Syracuse.

12. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I'm gonna release my inner MAPer and say Judo is perfect. <3

And I've heard very good things about Combat Hapkido from a friend of mine who studies it down in Arizona.

13. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I think my inner fighter leans toward judo, jiu jitsu or even aiki jujutsu. I'll let everyone know what the family agrees on. Thank you all so much for comments and suggestions.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Define better. They teach very different programmes. I can't find much evidence of serious sparring at the Lohan place either.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Also I found plenty of videos on Kevin's channel with talking :confused:

16. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Ben, there's still something that doesn't sit right with me about Kevin's place. I can't put my finger on it but danger danger Will Robinson was screaming in my head. You probably don't know that reference, right?

Oh, and I do have a few underdog schools hiding in the background. I just didn't mention them because I was only focusing on the two to three original ones I mentioned.

17. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

If I'm not mistaken, there is a Kyokushin Karate school in Vegas ... I'm not sure how the school is, I just remember visiting Vegas with some cousins who used to live there and we drove by it. Just taking a shot in the dark and guessing that's one of your underdog schools. Oh man, if Kyokushin was available here in the Bay Area ... not in San Fran, (that's too much of a hassle to get to) I'd cross train in a heartbeat.

18. Ben Gash CLF

As Ap said, personal feelings have an important role to play. However as I said I've met and trained alongside Kevin and he's got the goods. Also given what you said at the start the Lohan School is the wrong place for you.
    Good luck with your search, to add to your list I'd suggest Don Niam's Hung Fut place (if he's under Tai Yim then he's likely legit) and The Pit (Hawaiian Kenpo with effective training methods).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  19. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Mdgee,

I stopped by Ohana last night and observed about 40 minutes of a class. The training area was setup for functionality and the equipment seemed in good shape, although used (a good thing). There were about 17-20ish students of all belt levels, and ages (6 - 76). The instructor who was teaching the younger and lower belt levels seemed confident and in charge and they were attentive and interested in the material. I met and talked with GM Luna, who seemed pleasant and knowledgeable. He comes off as an easy going guy and was interested in my style as compared to his. I was just a little turned off when he was showing me the famous six inch punch, but I can't knock a guy for one parlor trick. His prices are reasonable as compared to other schools I've seen. I told him I knew a guy who is looking for a school for his deaf son, he said it would be no problem, but having no personal experience with teaching the deaf I can't say he's equipped or not. I am going to give him a shot and see how it goes.