Hisardut or Kajukembo?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by mdgee, Jul 8, 2014.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I have a big decision to make. I'm moving out to Nevada and there are two or three dojos that I'm very interested in. To start, there are two shaolin schools that are run by real monks and the two schools are brother schools. However, those schools are lower on my list. The three schools on top are a Hisardut school, Kajukembo school, and a traditional jiu jitsu/judo school. Now, Hisardut is a melding of Jiu Jitsu and a few other martial arts and is the deadly portion of krav maga. Hisardut, because of it's jiu jitsu portion, teaches one how to disarm an attacker. KM, on it's own, does not teach this.

Kakukembo is another great street fighting martial art that teaches one how to disarm an attacker as well as how to stave off multiple attacks.

And, of course, there is a traditional jiu jitsu dojo. Personally, i try to stay away from studios that teach too many things. There is a small studio that teaches a variety of martial arts but I'm extremely suspicious of them.

So, do any of you have experience or knowledge of Kajukembo or Hisardut? I know it's really hard to find a Hisardut studio where one can find a KM studio everywhere.

2. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

What the hell are you talking about......

You clearly never practised Krav Maga.

Hisardut is just Krav Maga with extra jiu jitsu added nothing more. And trust me Krav Maga on it's own teaches you how to disarm, so i don't know were you get this nonsense without doing any research.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Kajukenbo I've seen some good places. Although to go to Nevada and not learn MMA I think is a crime. :p

Never heard of the hirdustsu thing.

I'm extremely wary of any place saying they teach "authentic shaolin Kung fu".

4. Pretty In Pink

Don't swear at people who ask genuine questions, you just come off looking like an idiot yourself. :)

As a sidenote, it creates less work for the mods if we don't then quote the offending swearing. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Dylan, you'd better review MAP's terms of service regarding masked profanity.

6. Pretty In Pink

Have to keep you on your toes somehow xD

7. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Dylan, no, Hisardut is not. Look up Hisardut. I know the founder, Dennis Hanover. I have studied KM in Israel and abroad. It is very different as it uses a different system. Imi Lichtenstein developed his own system and Dennis developed his. Components of Hisardut were integrated into the training that IDF troops receive as well as the rest of the world. However, I have seen Hisardut and it's very different from KM.

8. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Chadderz, thank you for all of your posts. I too as suspicious of any place that claims they teach shaolin kung fu. That can mean anything. Also, this other place in vegan called Lohan has me very suspicious. They have the music really loud on all of their videos and all of our complaints have fallen on deaf ears. I try to look up videos of a school I'm considering before I go for a trial. If they have a lot of videos and the teacher is drowned out by music this immediately sends up a red flag. "Danger Will Robinson" is what I hear in my head.

I'm pretty sure I've ruled out the Shaolin schools just because I have no idea what they teach.

I'm not into MMA though. I have no ambitions of fighting in a ring so why would I train MMA?

Thanks again for your courteous replies.

9. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

10. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Also, please accept my apology for having a similar post to this one. Honestly, I had forgotten about that post and only noticed it today when I went to my user cp. Unfortunately, I don't see an option to delete it or I would. However, there was a great reply from a member that was much appreciated.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

With utmost sincerity, I do not think it will matter to you what others think.

You seem to be "set" upon what you want to do/study anyhow

12. Pretty In Pink

Haha, the MMA part was really just a personal thing, because it was the first state to legalise it and there are world class guys EVERYWHERE there. Although you don't have to compete to go to an MMA school, although everyone seems to think that?

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yeah..I noticed that also with a lot of MMA . I guess it is one of those "stereotype" attachments

14. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I actually haven't decided. Probably, in the end, it will be a joint, family decision as me and my boys will be studying together. I like dojos that have joint classes with teens and adults. The Jiu Jitsu school doesn't add teens to the adult class until they hit 17. The Hisardut school also has the same separation but it might actually work since I have a deaf son that is going to be studying. If he's in the same class as me I would need to hire a translator. If he's in a separate class I can act as the translator. So, it's a catch 22. If any of the schools try to force me into private classes because of my deaf teen they will automatically fall off my list. Hisardut was very kind when I told them I had a deaf teen. The founder has a special place in his heart for children with disabilities and he has modified and or changed some of his moves to help those children. The instructor told me my deaf son would be most welcome whereas no other school has responded to this question.

15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'd go for the judo/jiu jitsu school myself, but honestly, I'd consider checking out some MMA schools, as the sport sets a high standard for martial competency and generally will offer a variety of arts such that someone could choose to go for general proficiency, or train in one specialty that they enjoy. For any art, I think that visiting and taking a free lesson is the best way to judge the many intangibles that go towards creating a good fit with a gym. You might find one gym that is very traditional, with strict rules regarding bowing, sparring, rank deference, etiquette, etc., etc., and another that is very lax and folks just kind of come in and do their own thing. And they might be teaching the same art! The only way to get to know what's a good fit for you and your kids is to go talk to the teacher, and maybe take a free class.

16. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

philosoraptor, yes, you are right. Also, the people say a lot for the school too. I was studying KM at a school years back and no one would extend a common courtesy to say hi back to me. Needless to say, I left the school a few months later. If I go to a school and the people aren't friendly then what does that say about the instructor? What does it say about the school?

Just to compare, I studied Hung Fot at another school years before KM. Five people came up to me after class and introduced themselves to me. I stayed with that school for two years.

And yes, a free class is key. I know the Jiu Jitsu and Hisardut schools both offer a free class. I would hope the Kajukenbo does too but I'll find out soon. Also, as mentioned, if they are unwilling to work with me and my deaf son or want to charge me extra for private lessons then they are a no go. I consider this discrimination and will not tolerate it. In fact, it is my hope to teach martial arts to deaf children and adults a few years from now. There are no schools that accommodate these folks and I want to start a precedent.

17. Pretty In Pink

Matt Hammil is deaf, he learned wrestling!

18. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

If you have studied KM, then why do you make such stupid remarks?

KM does not have any disarming in itself, thats the biggest NONSENSE (see what i did) there is.

I agree that the US schools tend towards McDojo's but here in Europe it's all hard working brothers during classes as it should be.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  19. Pretty In Pink

He didn't say anything about the way it's taught.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I know the coach here http://www.lvshaolin.com/ , less than 5 miles from the Israeli place. Kevin's legit and a cool guy.