hip throws

Discussion in 'Judo' started by munkiejunkie, Jan 22, 2005.

1. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

Okay, when doing hip throws, is the unbalancing part when you lower your centre of gravity and then immedietly shove your butt backwerds?

2. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

When you drop your center of gravity down and twist your hips, the person should be pulled down over ontop of your back. That's when they loose their balance, when you've pulled them over your hips/back. You should have control once their on your back.

It's getting the technique right to get them on your back in the first place that is the more difficult part ;) :D

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

actually, their balance should be broken before you even attempt the move. if you try and throw someone while their base is totally stable you will find it much harder than if they are already off balance. by the time you turn and have your centre of gravity under theirs, the hard part is over.

4. vicjudofreak

vicjudofreak Valued Member

I'd definitely agree. For most hip throws I'd break the balance to the front and to whichever side you're throwing on... so for a right-handed o goshi, for example, I'd break the balance to uke's front right.

5. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I'm still finding hip and shoulder throws hard because i can't seem to get in to do them. My weakness is definately in the unbalancing part too.

6. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I don't know how tall you are relative to your opponent, but another tip for entry is crossing the box with a bent knee. Takes some time out of the entry. At least, that's what I've found.

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Like others have said, the part which causes the unbalancing of the opponent is at the very beginning of execution. Right when you pull them towars you and you twist your body and hips into position.

But if you've only just been introduced to the move, then you'll no doubt be starting off with a slow, but steady and smooth execution of the move. If this is the case, then the unbalancing of the opponent comes from when you pull your opponent over you. At this point, you are directly under their center of gravity, and able to lift them and throw them.

But when the move is practised at full speed, it's normally the pulling of their Gi sleeve which causes the initial imbalance.

8. xen

xen insanity by design

hip throws can be learned by working up to the throw,

start by getting used to moving the feet in position and then build up to gradually lifting the person until you can get them off the floor to 'the point of throw'

at this point they should be balanced on your back, but you remain in full control and can choose to complete the throw or put them back on their feet.

try 20 repetitions, buliding up the pace and how far you lift until by number 19/20 the throw happens naturally.

this method can then be used to improve the thowing technique, ask your partner to resist the throw by lowering their body weight and slightly bending the legs, this makes them harder to lift and ensures you are getting the fundamental aspects of footwork, grip and movement of their body right before you introduce the throw into your randori practice.

i also agree that the balance should be taken by your initial body movement and the effect it has upon your opponent. If the balance is taken correctly, you should find you have a range of throws at your disposal and can choose the most appropriate for the given situation. If you get into a throwing position without first taking control balance and try to force a lift with strength alone, in the best case you will be countered and dropped, in the worst you could injure muscles as you try to force a throw with strength as opposed to technique.

9. Mild Discomfort

Mild Discomfort New Member

When I started practicing judo I made 2 mistakes with hip throws constantly:

1. Do not push your butt back. No use moving the opponent to the wrong direction first?

2. When making the tsukuri, be wary of not letting the opponent regain his balance when going in for the throw. I kept loosening the tsukuri so that my opponents just fell back onto their heels.

Cheers,
    Henri