Hip replacement scheduled (finally!)

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Van Zandt, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn you flexi-man. I can't stretch that far. I am old though. And lazy.

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I hate you , I hate you, I hate you.
    Sorry SF, just my latent teenager rearing its ugly head again. Good on ya, keep us informed.

3. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

i managed to misalign my hip about 14 yeasr ago doing jumping back kicks in line work. popped the joint by kicking to hard wthout a target. it has limited the rotation of my right hip to the extent i cant do a left side kick any higher than shoulder height. kicking with the right leg is less hampered but the hip joint clicks like its goin out of business. right or wronlgly i just adapted my techniques to suit my problem. but id like to get back down to the almost box split position again but then again since i cant compete due to being diagnosed with epilepsy a few years back i either just got lazy about it or just learned over the years that a good body shot has just as much stopping power as a head kick, maybe even more.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Bendy bendy bendy bendy bendy bendy bendy bendy bendy GIT!

SO-much-more-flexible-than-that-Mitch. Oh yes. Ahem.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Finally got my high kicks back - sort of!

It's been 12 weeks since I had my hip replaced and I've finally developed the confidence to start doing kicks again. Not doing them full speed in case my leg goes flying to the other side of the room, but the physio is impressed I'm able to return to kicking so early.

Anyhoo here's a pic of me kicking (my) head height with a front leg side kick.

[​IMG]

My technique is still way off because it's been a solid three months at least since I was able to throw a proper kick, and I'm not yet able to hold my leg in place at head height. It'll take a lot of time, but I'm gradually building myself up day by day.

Stay well :cool:

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Good news SF :D

Mitch

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Sweet!

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Looking good already!

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Shows what you can do with a positive attitude to healing. Good for you mate!

(Next time do it with the lights on ;))

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Okay, so it's been about a month since my last post so I thought I'd take this opportunity to post another photo:

[​IMG]

This was taken today after I'd had a big greasy pizza and did absolutely zero warming up or stretching beforehand. Up to this point (since the op) I'd always had to do some dynamic stretches to get my kicks up, but now I can stick my leg up there cold again. (PS. It's a dark photo because my camera is crap :( )

Feels good to be back :cool:

11. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Nice work! This thread is inspiring me to start working on my own oft-maligned and much-neglected flexibility.

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Admit it, you're trying to be a ninja. :ninja2:

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cheers Omicron :cool:

CosmicFish,

Damn it, you got me. My next photo will show just a foot (I mean Tabi) floating in mid air, rest of my body invisible like :D

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think your courage in getting back to training so soon is fantastic. Don't push yourself too far too soon just to prove people wrong. You've all the time in the World

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks my man, couldn't do it without the support of folks like yerself here on MAP :cool:

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Of course he is - we're what all MAists aspire to be! :yeleyes: :vanish:

Congratulations on your progress Van Zandt! :)

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cheers Frodocious! :cool: :hat:

18. Frodocious

You do realise that I was congratulating you on your progress to Ninjahood, and not on your hip improvement, don't you?! ;) :)

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

ooohhh...

20. Frodocious

Snigger!

:Angel: ;) :D