HIP PROSTHESIS AND MARTIAL ARTS PRACTISE

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by julio kodokan, Feb 27, 2010.

1. julio kodokan

julio kodokan MUAY THAY & BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU Student

Hy Mates!!!One of my masters,a distinguished 45 years old top karate man has hip long term arthrosis.Now, he has received the medical indication for hip prostheses.Does anyone know about any martial artist (any style) with a hip prosthesis?It would be very important to exchange such experience with us, mainly about the conditions for practise after such radical surgical procedure?
    Kind regards from Brazil!
    Julio Kodokan

2. righty

righty Valued Member

You mean hip replacement?

Calling Superfoot/Van Zandt. Just don't call him disabled or he'll kick you in the head. In fact he might do it anyway. Just for fun.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  3. julio kodokan

yeah,that means the substitution of the femur head by a titanium one.The joint cavity is supposed to receive an atificial lining too.That permits a painless movement of the joint.Nowadays the joint is painful cause there is not cartilage in the joint anymore.Thank you.Julio kodokan

4. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

hello julio, as righty says van zandts the man to have a word with, if he doesnt see the post im sure a pm would get you some good information.

bests kamau

5. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I know a fellow that had one done its not as bad a operation as you would think.Fact is this guy said his pain was horrible before having it replaced.As to the question of mobility after the operation for martial arts i dont know .But for the guy i do know he feels 100% better no pain. I would think and this is a laymans opinion kicking may be limited. I will try to find some expert replies to this somewhere and tell you the links or post a page.

6. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hip replacement = a new beginning!

A hip replacement is not the end of martial arts. My left hip was replaced last June after an old army injury finally caught up with me. Physical therapy, which was hell, started the very next day. The therapists were only interested in seeing me walking again; it was up to me to come up with a routine to rebuild the strength and flexibility to do splits and high kicks again. It was tough, but I did it. My avatar pic was taken in November, just 5 months later. I'm 2~3 inches off the floor there, but I could get flat to the floor by then. It's much easier now.

You might want to read this:

http://www.shoryukan.com/Topics/Extra/Articles/hipreplacment.html

8. julio kodokan

Thank you very much indeed!!!!

Dear Van Zandt I would like to thank you very much.Your report is an outstanding help to a brilliant brazilian karateca in distress.Your testimony is crucial to his life.Only you can feel what karate (and a hip) means to anyone who loves karate.We will be in touch.A respectful and thankful OSS from your karate mates in Curitiba,Brazil!!!!! Julio Kodokan

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No worries friend, glad I could help.

The workouts I did to regain my flexibility will be detailed in my forthcoming book. PM your details and I'll post a free copy to your instructor. Give him my best regards.

10. liero

liero Valued Member

How long till the book VZ?

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I had been hoping for a March 31st launch date, but that has been pushed back due to "creative differences" between the publisher and I. It will be sometime this year for sure.

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

One of my patients fought in Japan at the Kodakan at a Masters games tournament. He had the same procedure as had his opponenet who was an ex olympic medalist. Not the end by any means!!

powchoy

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

In my school I have a 50 yo woman with a knee replacement and a 78 year old with a hip replacement, they do just fine.....

14. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

For those who haven't yet been told by their doctors that it's definitely time to swap out the parts, it might be worth considering a course of cetyl myristoleate. It hasn't yet quite "gone mainstream" in the medical community, but it has been successfully used in animals by veterinarians for a dozen years or so now. When used successfully (no, it doesn't help everyone, it isn't a "magic bullet") in humans, they generally seem to be good for one to five years before needing it again. This video clip is just a "visual anecdote", but check this out regarding a dog treated with the stuff: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pwAWb8YPiU"]YouTube[/ame]

This is not the worst time in medical history to have a joint go south on you. Some things to look forward to in the near future:

Tissue engineering via "bio-nanotechnology": http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?NewsID=15733

Natural substances in cartilage regeneration: http://www.physorg.com/news153241355.html

And for those who do have a replacement but want them to "build you better":
    http://www.newscientist.com/article...lage-performs-better-than-the-real-thing.html

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I have a 51 year old female with an artificial knee, a 60 year old male with one hip joint replacement and a 62 year old female with bilateral hip replacements, you don't want to get kicked by any one of them......your only held back by your own fears....

16. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Sorry I was a bit late in seeing this.........I can only tell you my own experience. 6 years ago I had a "Birmingham hip re-surfacing operation".after that I was told that I would be fine and could continue as though I had my own hip...now to be honest I was reluctant to follow this advice as I have suffered the pain of advanced arthritis and I didn't want it again, but what I did was some weight training, used the step machine and some hand orientated martial arts and some Tai-Chi.
    however after about 4 years I needed another replacement to the same hip.............so I don't wish to be pessimistic, but you should be aware of what can happen...currently I do Wing-Chun, and I still practise a little boxing and escrima, and I kick but usually with my good leg and never any higher than the knee..............I have tried all sorts of different medicines for this complaint.but honestly if you have the pain of arthritis, well only proper drugs will help.like Voltarol..which has some nasty side affects..hope this helps, shout back if you want to ask more