Hip Clicking ?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by android, Feb 18, 2015.

1. android

android Valued Member

Ok, this is something im sure i have had for years.
    Maybe it is just more noticeable now i have started TKD - and doing a lot more leg drills/ stretching etc.....
    i really notice it when my leg comes down from doing say a front kick, or if i lie on the floor and do a leg raise then when i bring my leg back to the floor...........CLUNK - its almost like something pops back into place - weird!!!

its not painful, but a little worrying, apparently its called hip popping syndrome..

location wise, i can feel it right on the front of the hip - seems to alternate between sides as well

Anyone else suffer with this weird clicking?

Thanks
    Andy

2. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Yeah, I get this too, on my right leg. Front kicks, roundhouse kicks and shin checks all do it for me.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I used to, in my case it was from having weak hip muscles, once I sorted that out no more clicking and much much stronger kicks as the kinetic chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

4. android

android Valued Member

after last nights class i feel pretty sore in my left leg - right at the top just below the hip
    (If that makes sense) even when doing the kicking drills, it was pretty painful on that leg. im skipping fridays class - and will pick up next week, could be a case of too much too soon, definately not right though

5. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

A very general rule of thumb:

Click - OK

Clunk - Not OK!

When you hear various joints clicking (no pain, with a relatively high pitched 'click') this is typically soft tissue moving with no stress on the joint itself - perhaps a ligament or tendon catching momentarily on an obstruction then moving over it. Generally (there will be exceptions) its not a big deal in itself.

A clunk is another matter. These have a deeper tone and are more likely to be accompanied by pain, or at least discomfort. There may be the same sort of thing happening as in a click, but there's also perhaps inappropriate movement in the joint capsule (ultimately involving bones inappropriately moving relative to each other).

The human hip is a very loose ball and socket joint. Its relatively easy for the ball to come at least part way out of the socket. When you hear your hip clunk is probably (though not definitely) the hip partially dislocating in this manner, and then immediately popping back in. This will cause excessive wear and tear. I have one hip that's always done this a bit on certain high kicks. Fortunately I left the desire/need to do high kicks behind years ago.

The solution is probably to
    a) avoid the kicking action/height that causes the clunk
    b) to build up the relevant muscles (and neuromuscular control) around the hip so as to stabilise the joint and so to prevent the dislocation action when the leg is at these extremes of movement.

So if you get uncomfortable clunks you don't necessarily need to stop doing the high kicking, but you do need to work the right muscles to prevent it becoming a problem.

Mike

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I used to get these as well actually. It only really stopped once I started weight lifting occasionally. Could be you have a little bit of a weakness in that area?

7. android

android Valued Member

must be weakness, im sure i used to get this from Running some time back
    just dont want to put myself out of the game - when i have only just started!!!

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Just for interest, where did you find this out please? I only ask because when you are trying to dislocate a hip for surgery or arthroscopy it is really difficult to get the thing apart. Suction holds it together quite firmly and it takes sometimes 2 people to dislocate the hip before doing a hip replacement. The new methods to allow access to a hip for arthroscopy require the patient to be belted down, a big wedge shoved between their legs and then a high level of traction applied before the camera can get to the joint to either review what is wrong or do surgery.

It is not uncommon to have sounds from a number of structures around the hip so that is not in dispute. I just know that we struggle to get things to move in both surgery and rehab.

Like to stay informed eh!

LFD

9. android

android Valued Member

took it easy last night, as the left leg has still been 'clunking'
    this morning feels like front of hips in both legs are pretty stiff.
    im stretching, but only so far, trying not to overdo it
    i can only think as a Begineer i may have overdone it. thinking i was already fit from running, but all the time maybe having weakness in those areas

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

a guy at ninjutsu told me he'd done his joints in doin TKD constantly kicking thin air, im not sure if it was true as we were both at ninjutsu

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think that's only a problem if you lock the limb out straight while striking.

That, plus ballistic stretching and overloading joints at ranges of movement where they are weak would be my guess for many of the complaints from similar arts.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. David Harrison

So hips are the same as shoulders, in that most people are born with that pressure seal, and once that seal is broken you're left with a joint that dislocates relatively easily?

13. Late for dinner

Actually not really

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00094F01.jpg

http://www.orthoinfo.org/figures/A00377F01.jpg

The two have significant struuctural differences..

The hip joint surface can almost all fit into the socket while the shoulder joint surface only sits on maybe a third of the surface...

If muscle activity is stopped a shoulder can be dislocated relatively easily although there is some support from ligaments and the glenoid cartilage (which is why so many stroke patients have partial shoulder dislocations during the phase where the muscle shut off). The hip is re-enforced with three very strong supporting ligaments that, as well as the physical structure/cohesion and other things, hold the ball in the socket.

There is some chance that with damage there will be increased movement but this is much more typical in the shoulder than the hip (as noted by the number of rugby players that need to have shouder joint reconstructions (as once the cartilage/capsule is torn it does keep popping out) versus the hip joint which does not tend to have telescoping occur in the adult until quite a bit later in lifer (where wear increases the play in the joing but stiffness of the soft tissues often restric movements as well).

Does that make any more sense David? They look faintly simlar but the way they move, their structural support and their wear patterns(weight bearing versus a non-weight bearing limb) are quite different.

LFD

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  14. David Harrison

Thanks, I realise they have different structures, but I was specifically asking if the hip has negative pressure in the same way as a shoulder does. The way you talked about "suction" made it sound as if it does, but I've not read about it.

15. Late for dinner

I am not quite sure that we are looking at things quite the same way.

The idea of a pressure seal as a primary factor in whether the shoulder does or does not dislocate isn't something that I have heard put forward before. As I said, if you lose the muscle support the shoulder can partially dislocate and the pressence of any sort of pressure seal makes no difference. I suppose it might be a minor factor but really the structural considerations are primarily the joint capsule, the muscles that form the rotator cuff, the biceps and the glenoid labrum. Neurologically, if you lose control of the muscles the joint does not function properly so that is a given. Structurally you can tear the rotator cuff or biceps and that may affect stability. Tear the labrum and the ball can slip off the socket but still be in the capsule. Tear both and you have a real mess.

With a younger rugby player the consideration now is , if there is a defect present, to cut the coracoid process and move it to form a replacement surface to fill the defect in the socket. Again none of this is strictly dependent on anything more that structural integrity.

I am sure there are some other factors but these are the more common ones to consider. If you can point me to a reference that speaks on internal pressure as something that holds a shoulder together I would be interested in seeing what is being put forward.

Cohesion/pressure would be more of a factor in a hip.

Does this make more sense?

LFD

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  16. David Harrison

Just looked it up, apparently there is a vacuum seal (or negative pressure, as medical sources call it) in the hip joint.

Presumably this means, as with shoulders, that once it's dislocated it then becomes easier to dislocate afterward?

17. David Harrison

Makes perfect sense, but I never said "primary factor". Just a factor!

...but a factor you can never regain.

18. Late for dinner

You know that there is the consideration about whether something that is notable is really of signifcance.

I know that I will never have a posterior cruciate ligament again since I ruptured mine last December. That is true and it is one of the biggest ligaments in the body. I also know that it has not stopped me from playing rugby at the same level I played at last year with out any great limitations.

Not having a seal in the shoulder only counts if it was important in the first place. Many athletes have damage on a scan that , without their knowledge, has been present for years. Sometimes it is a factor but for many it is not. We do quite well after being damaged because of the adaptability of the human body. It is also significant that many people do a far better job of rehab and conditioning that they might have before they were injured. In my case the DOMS I used to get a day after a game no longer occurs. I know that in certain positions my knee feels weird but it has had minor practical difference to my function.

I concede it will never be quite the same after you lose the initial suction but the shoulder could end up better than before with rehab.

LFD

19. David Harrison

Hopefully things are getting better, but you must have come across people who write themselves off after an injury or disease. Obviously those who get so into rehab they gain better function than before are nice to give as examples, but there are two sides to that coin!

Anyway, point taken, and I wasn't trying to argue anything different. It was an innocent question! Cheers :)