Hill Running

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Igbok, Jun 21, 2007.

?

Is Hill Running a Plyometric exercise

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Igbok

Igbok New Member

Since in my posting of Plyometrics people are questioning if Hill running counts as a plyometric exercise, So this thread has a poll.

Select the 1st poll option if you think hill running is considered a plyometric exercise

Select the 2nd poll option if you dont think hill running is considered a plyometric exercise

2. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

No I don't consider hill running as a plyometric exercise. More so, I mean that I don't think it substitutes for it. Sure it relies on the same principle (entirely dependant on your technique) but so does any type of running IMO.

3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Okay, I'll break it down like this for you. Plyometrics - Definition: a type of exercise using explosive movements to develop muscular power, esp. bounding, hopping, and jumping. Notice that running does not fall into that category. Running is not explosive, and therefore is not plyometric! If you want to go Hill Running, great, go for it! Hill running is very good for your muscular endurance. But, it is not a plyometric exercise. If you want to do a plometric routine and include hills, try, as we have discussed, Hill Bounding. This is plometric. I will say it again just to drive the point home - Hill Running is not plyometric!

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Doing sprint starts for reps would be plyometric, hill running isn't. Whatever you consider it is irrelevant, as has already been mentioned it's not an explosive movement so not plyometric. An internet poll won't turn it into one.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It is not a plyometric exercise, but it is explosive. End of story. There is no debate or poll, it is fact.

A plyometric exercise is one where you move very quickly from a strong eccentric contraction to a concentric contraction eg. depth jumps. If it was just defined as an explosive movement then a lot of things would fall under the umbrella of plyometrics including sprinting, sprint starts and olympic lifts.

6. spirez

spirez Valued Member

One thing to note about hill running is that you should stop as soon as you begin to slow down, otherwise it can have a negative effect on your flat running speed/stride length.

No way is it plyometric though, it's a power exercise.

7. Shadow_of_Evil

Whatever you consider it is irrelevant, as has already been mentioned it's not an explosive movement

$100 says you've never ran up a hill then.
    Only someone who's never done hill running would say something so silly.

8. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Do you even know what an explosive movement is?

9. Gary

I'll take that bet :D

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1209008&postcount=4

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=904839&postcount=92

I suspect you're mixing intensity/effort with plyometrics. Re-read Adam's excellent explanation above.

10. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

11. Gary

I think it only works out at about £40, though if he still wants to pay up he should send a donation to MAP instead :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  12. Shadow_of_Evil

I would donate if I had a paypal account ;)

13. Gary

Paypal accounts are free ;)

How were you intending to pay up if I won your wager anyway?

14. Zandorv1037

Zandorv1037 Valued Member

Depends on how steep the hill is :D If it's really steep it's almost like jumping up it XD