high school drunk boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by rsm688, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Are you serious!

Haha man i just realised i wasted my childhood doing productive things! As already said 3 30 second rounds is nowt, Juniors do 3 1 and half minute rounds.

As said, join a gym.
    Some how I seriously doubt that! :D
    I also doubt that.

On the plus side you are showing some sort of interest but your still a tool! :D

As you said your gonna do, go do MT or BJJ and fight there. Leave out the scrapping while drinking as its just gonna get you into poo poo

2. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Some people are looking waaaay to deeply into this! I always used to don a pair of gloves and trade blows with my childminder's son when i was a kid. It was a start and i decided i wanted to learn more so that's what i'm doing now!

RS if nobody's been hurt and there's no malice just carry on having a good laugh! But if you want tips listen to the people that have told you to get down to a boxing gym and learn for real, it's cheap too.

3. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

thats more like it^^^

i wasnt trying to ask for a hit i can knock someone out with, just some good strategies against those type opponents. next year starting in august i will be starting boxing where im attending college and will get it all good then, this is just in the mean time until i can get to that while were having fun.

thanks man

4. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Read a few of the articles here:

http://rossboxing.com/

Go to this site, click on archives then download (right click, save target as) where it says 'We still have The Whole Book in .pdf'

search youtube for boxing training/drills etc and see what you can dig up.

5. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

thanks a ton for the help man ;) . great links

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

You forgot broken hands!

7. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

"Drunk people do get stupid", and nobody in your group has had an injury worse than a "busted lip"? Hmm bleeding lip? Whatever it was that was fun for you guys I'm sure you guys would eventually have it a lot worse in the up coming days, weeks, months or years. Even the best friends that you normally hangout with can turn their emotions right around, and become your worst enemy.

My suggestion is for you guys to stop doing what you guys normally do and co exist peacefully, and with other people other than your friend's. Also would be good to have a sense of maturity.

I don't see what the point of fighting is. It's stupid period, self defense is reasonable, but is meaningless to misuse it.

8. danny81

danny81 New Member

i do it all the tim with my freinds, but my freinds all box.

9. Balrog

Balrog Valued Member

I think people have a bit of an overly negative opinion on it.

Although you probably SHOULD have some sort of negative opinion on it :D

Boxing with mates with proper gear [gloves, head gear] is one thing, but doing it drunk near the ocean is quite another!

While I'm not totally against the idea, I think you have to face a few facts: You ARE going to get hurt, you ARE going to learn bad technique, and that you ARE NOT receiving a real boxing experience. Having said that, I guess even any experience would come as some use [no matter how small] if you got into a real fight. But let's look at it this way, the only people that would actually consider starting a fight with you are going to be experienced in fighting in some way, whether it's free street fighting or trained like a boxer or a MA fighter, in which case you aren't going to stand too much of a chance anyway.

However if you don't take things too seriously and accept all of the above facts, I'm sure it's a good past time and alot of fun! I used to be in an underground boxing group and we were mostly all friends. We all moderated the events, and if new comers wanted to fight, we made them aware of the strict rules and friendly nature. We didn't do it drunk either :p And we had all the gear.

So it depends on what extreme you are taking it too, but generally I think most peeps here are taking it a little too critical.

10. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I expect it to last 30 seconds because maybe some guys are just too drunk to stand up. In fact how do you go about making fighting divisions? Do you go for weight or the weight of alcohol imbibed?

You say this is all fun and games yet you ask for "effective" techniques. Against guys who are drunk and maybe even guys who have lower alcohol tolerance than you.

This is a more effective technique: make sure who you're "fighting" drinks more than you :rolleyes: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

11. shuhari

shuhari New Member

Man I'm surprised at these forums... I'm new here but I've done a little bit of lurking.

Alot of you guys are pretty elitist about it all hey? Buddy even tried to divert those kinds of comments by asking negative-opinions (about what he and his bros were doing) to just not post. Then you flak him for requesting that in an open forum, and proceed to make fun of him for whatever he's doin on the beach.

I dunno... sounds pretty dogmatic to me to think that everything about fist to fist combat has got to be learned in some Gym or through a Boxing trainer. I don't mean to discredit those resources at all, because in the end they are invaluable when you want to pick up the sport. I only mean to caution against discrediting our own means of having fun and figuring it out ourselves.

The most anybody has got to judge on is your lack of safety in doing something like that. Fair enough I guess? If safety and security if your primary concern, then maybe don't fight at all. Better yet, don't drink on the beach - there's water around. You know what, definitely don't get into a car, you know how dangerous those things can be??? /sarcasm off/.

Anyway, have fun. #1-Keep your guard up, find the guys timing (he will have an obvious one), watch for his body cues (rarely do guys like these know how to punch without telegraphing alot), step in and hit him. Best is to practise your guard with this guy, good arm conditioning anyway =p #2-Feign him with a quick jab or two so he loosens his guard on the other side and let him have it. Best case scenario is where he thinks he knows where your going for, then you hit him the opposite side. #3-Toss-up. Try defending mostly. Try overwhelming him. Try outside fighting, inside. It really depends on what he's doing....

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Sometimes "lost for words" just isn't enough.

Do you even wear gloves? Even if you do, I'm still surprised that you haven't had more than a busted lip between you all. If you don't then... wow... just wow. Broken hands, easily broken noses, lost teeth, knock outs. I could go on. Plain stupid and one day it will happen. Try wrestling instead, little in the way of risk... plus you aren't idiots just hitting each other in the face for 30 seconds at a time, and you might be able to learn something.

Asking for tips shows that you ARE being competitive about it so you take it more seriously than you think. I'm guessing there are either no girls there, or there are and they all think you're stupid but won't tell you and you are all thinking you're the big grown up men c0ck-fighting for them. Either way it's pointless.

Messing about with your mates is one thing, calling punching each other in the face "boxing" is quite another.

13. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

If you don't hit eachother too hard and if the fights never escalate, I think it's not as bad as some people think. However, DRINKING and fighting sounds incredibly stupid to me. Drunk people are out of control and won't feel the pain a good punch normally inflicts to you. Also, if all the other people are more or less drunk too, IF someone goes KO big time no one will be able to act decisively and help the person.
    My advice: stop combining drinking and fighting, make sure you wear the right gear, don't allow full contact punches (rather stick to semi-contact) and stay away from the water.

The best thing to do would of course be to join a gym, but since you won't be able to do that for now, and you really want to fight on t3h str33t, at least make it as safe as possible.

PS Drinking in the Netherlands is allowed from the age 16, so I can legally talk about this stuff ;)

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Notice how it's mostly the older (and really, wiser) guys who seem to think this is a stoopid idea and all the youngin's seem to think this is ok? Hmmm, do the math...

15. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

If you refer to my post, that's not right. I think it's a bad idea and would not do it myself (definitely!), but IF he's so devoted into doing that stuff, at least make him do it as safe as possible.

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm commenting on the thread in general. My "profile fu" is strong.

17. shuhari

shuhari New Member

Because Age==Wisdom right? That kind of math?

:rolls eyes:

18. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

3 rounds of 30 secs... thats brawling not boxing...
    if your gonna box make it at least 3-5 mins....
    oh and about the blocker... NONE can block forever

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Hey, we're not the ones advocating bitchsmacking each other while drunk. Your generation is.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a couple of these losers getting some dain bramage. Natural selection at work, IMO.

20. shuhari

shuhari New Member

Well, I'm not too keen on making lines in the sand regarding opinions of different generations... it's foolish. I can only represent my personal perspective, any generation-perspective you draw from it is your own inferences... and should be subject to about as much generation-perspective credence as you yourself representing the perspectives of the entire populace of Lancaster, PA. (Which is, well almost nil)

Personally, I am assuming that he has the ability to use his own head and make his own judgment calls regarding his relative safety. His safety is not my responsibility, it's his and his friends. Nor will I do him the indignity of trying to make it my responsibility.

What I was advocating for first and foremost is for him to have fun and enjoy himself.
    I am also advocating for him not to pay too much attention to all the negativity and judgments towards him and his activities in this thread. I also advocate against falling into the dogma that boxing (or any other combat for that matter) must be learned from a Gym or a trainer. Yes, there is MUCH MUCH to be learned from these resources, so they aren't to be DIScredited at -all-. But at the same time do not discredit your own resourcefulness in gaining a new skill by getting out there and teaching yourself.

If I am representative of my generation to you, then I'm proud to be. If you are representative of your generation then I wonder what kind of world I'll be inheriting in time.

Losers? Don't mind them getting brain damage? Natural Selection at work?
    Your attitude sucks. Even though perhaps a little negative/harsh at least some people from your generation are trying to help by giving safety tips.

And if you're going to drop the evolution-theory bomb down, at least do it some justice and use it properly. In this day and age throwing fists around on a beach after a couple of beers hardly speaks to an individuals survival and reproductive success.