High intensity cardio workouts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El-Guapo, Jun 28, 2008.

1. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

Hi,
    I know that interval sprints, plyometrics and hard working drills in the punching bag-sparring train the anaerobic capacity.
    is there something else that trains the anaerobic capacity?

and are high reps of hindu squats is an anaerobic activity??

Thanks in advance :)

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

No, high rep hindu squat would be more of an aerobic exercise. Do interval bodyweight squats, look up tabata intervals. Heavy weight training is also a good anaerobic exercise.

3. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

thanks yohan
    I will be look up for tabata intervals
    cheers :)

4. Jphaas

Jphaas Valued Member

Aerobic conditioning like jogging, or high rep Hindu squats (although these are more of a muscular endurance exercise than an aerobic one) will not train anaerobic capacity. However, exercises using HIIT, interval, or Tabata protocols that target anaerobic capacity will also increase aerobic capacity. :)

5. Yohan

A banana bag is really the way to go if you can afford it. They are more expensive, but much more effective training tools.

6. Yohan

Yes. Probably not AS MUCH as steady state aerobic conditioning, but who cares??

7. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

What do you mean by a banana bag:confused:?

EDIT:
    oh you mean a thai bag!
    oh okay

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  8. Jphaas

Jphaas Valued Member

The point is that anaerobic conditioning methods offer a much greater ROI, then steady state aerobic methods alone in a much shorter amount of time. I just thought it was an interesting fact to note. Sorry you do not agree.
    No worries!

9. Yohan

What's ROI?? Do you really think that doing intervals increases your aerobic capacity more than aerobic exercise?

Not that I poo poo using intervals. I hit 2 sets of tabata yesterday.

10. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

hey yohan,
    about tabata intervals
    do I have to sprint the fastest I can or just run fast?
    thanks

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  11. Jphaas

Jphaas Valued Member

ROI = Return on Investment. I did not say that intervals increase your aerobic capacity more than aerobic exercise. What I did say was that intervals will increase BOTH your anaerobic AND aerobic capacity, at the same time. Therefore, if you are short on time, intervals supply a much greater ROI than aerobic training.

Check out Tabata's research. His study found that the high intensity group realized a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity AND a 14% increase in VO2 max.

Hope this helps to clarify my point.

12. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

Yeah, I was reading that about Tabata's research as well. He also found that running for 60 min a day over a 5 week only increased your aerobic performance by similar amounts to the tabata protocol, with very little gains to the anaerobic performance. These tests where carried out on Olympic level athletes so that could be the reason for the similar improvements in aerobic performance.

13. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

Just found this little comment about Tabata's research.