1. TakadaDojoKeith

TakadaDojoKeith Valued Member

Hi. My name is Keith Vargo. Been doing various martial arts over the past 25 years or so. For the past 10+ years I've focused on submission wrestling, MMA, and boxing. I currently live in Tokyo, where I teach English and write for Black Belt magazine.

I usually lurk on forums. I often don't have the time to write decent replies to interesting posts. But recently I've had some extra time on my hands and signed up for some forums. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute here a little instead of just lurking and reading.

Thanks for reading.

Keith

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. Marcy Shoberg

Marcy Shoberg Valued Member

I've recently become very active on several forums and here is what I've found:

-They all have different personalities and you may like some more than others but you may find you like to get involved in conversations about certain topics on one but different topics on others.

-If you just lurk, the topics of conversation don't necessarily go in directions you find interesting.

-If you post alot, sometimes replies make you happy and sometimes they make you mad.
    Either way, you benefit from hearing other points of view even if it just gives you a chance to argue with the other person in your head and imagine winning or becoming convinced of their point of view.

-Any time you spend seeing what martial arts people talk about and what they think about what you have to say can only help you do a better job writing things for them to read.

4. Marcy Shoberg

Marcy Shoberg Valued Member

I was going to write one more piece of advice I've discovered about forums (remember that the people you converse with have no true idea of your skills and knowledge but are swayed in their opinions by your "rank" on the forum so the more you post the better) but I see you have joined this forum with a special rank. Good for you.

5. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Howdy. Welcome. I'm Mikey. I DON'T write for blackbelt. I could though... if they had a column for old, fat, overly opinionated, ex-knuckle draggers who train at McDojangs and don't quit. Yep, I'd have that one KNOCKED, I would!

:D

6. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Welcome to MAP :)

Looking forward to your input.

7. rocco66

rocco66 Valued Member

hello keith, welcome to MAP

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Welcome to MAP Keith. I enjoy your monthly column (Way of the Warrior) as it's always an interesting read. Glad to have you here.

9. TakadaDojoKeith

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I didn't check back here earlier. Got distracted by the movie and book threads. :)

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Welcome on board, Keith. Looking forward to reading your opinions.

I don't think that's true, Marcy. I don't think people really give a monkey's about a person's post count or forum title, or even their real life rank in MA. The most persuasive people are those who can write in clear English and can either show their experience in the content they post or can make you laugh.

11. TakadaDojoKeith

Except for the McDojangs part (I train at Japanese gyms), you could be my brother from a different mother. :)

12. Bigmikey

Exactly. Out of the three thousand posts I have, only five have any value what so ever, and that was an accident.

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Welcome to MAP.

14. TakadaDojoKeith

Thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to stopping by occasionally and joining the conversation here.

15. Bigmikey

Thank GOD, my thread drift king/post wh*re status is SAFE! In that case, you may stay. :D