Hi there, new Tai Chi practitioner from Hong Kong :)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dottaichi, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Dottaichi

Dottaichi New Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Ronald and I've tried to learn from my dad in Tai Chi. Recently started a website (link removed) to talk about my experiences in learning Tai Chi.

I've practiced on and off, and work has gotten me quite busy most of the time (when I'm not procrastinating, haha).

Excited to learn and share more about my journey, so a big hello to everyone here.

Best regards,
    Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2018
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Greetings and welcome to MAP!

What style of TCC do you practice? And where did your father learn TCC?

Mod Note: I removed your link, as advertising other websites is not allowed. Take a look at our terms of service (found by clicking on the "terms and rules" button on the lower right hand corner of every page.) We would rather you talk about your experiences in TCC here on MAP to promote discussion here. Thanks!

3. Dottaichi

Dottaichi New Member

Thanks for the welcome aaradia :)

I'm practicing the Yang style Taichi, and mostly for health benefits really. My dad learnt it from my granddad, maybe 40 years go I think.

I'm currently exploring how I can improve on my Tai Chi form, so expect to hear from me around here haha

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  4. aaradia

My suggestion for improvement is to learn/ delve deeper into the martial applications. My school teaches that, even if one isn't interested in the martial aspect, to fully get the health benefits one needs to understand the martial applications.

If you understand your targets, for example, you will be properly aligned. Proper alignment helps with the health benefits. And so on.

Monkey_Magic and Dottaichi like this.
  5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Welcome to MAP @Dottaichi :)
    Good to have another Yang tai chi-er here!

Look forward to chatting with you, the tai chi boards have been a bit quiet of late!

6. Martial-Shania

Martial-Shania New Member

Great i also practise Tai Chi but Chen style

Dan Bian likes this.
  7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Welcome!!

8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Welcome to MAP :)

9. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Welcome to MAP

Hong Kong, who did your Grandfather learn from?
    Does the lineage possibly go back to Yang Shou Zhong or Tung Ying Chieh.
    My Yang Shifu was a student of Tung Ying Chieh in Hong Kong, but that would be over 50 years ago

10. aaradia

Just a note. This thread got revived recently, but OP hasn't been on Map since December 3rd of last year. I wouldn't expect any responses....

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Hi. Lots of new Tai Chi people here all of a sudden. I hope it lasts.

12. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I practiced mostly Yang and some Chen style. Which Yang forms so you prefer to practise most?