Hi! Mok Gar Kung Fu!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Lennon, May 5, 2017.

1. Lennon

Lennon Member

Good evening all,

I'm 26/M from Birmingham, UK. This is my story, so far, for those that are interested...

I've been studying Mok Gar Kung Fu now for 5 months and am taking my first grade for my yellow sash next Thursday!

Mok Gar has been my first practical experience in a Martial Art. I once went to a Ju Jit Su class to watch when I was 13 but was immediately put off by the prices given by the instructor. I had a friend that did Wing Chun at school but his class was too far for me to travel to.

I then tried to 'make it' as a musician. This failed, so I wanted something to focus on to take away the 9-5/Mon-Fri feeling.

I'd never heard of Mok Gar before and I always thought 'Kung Fu' was it's own art. One day, I saw an advert for classes in Mok Gar Kung Fu and just decided to google it at work. I discovered Kung Fu was not a Martial Art but a term used to describe a skill. I dug a little deeper and found out Mok Gar specifically was quite a rare practice.

Anyway, the advert mentioned that the first class was free and was physically challenging. I'd given up smoking the year before wanted to see what my fitness was like so I gave it a shot, why not? It's safe to say I almost died. Not only was this my first ever practical exposure to a martial art but it was probably the first physical activity I had done in at least 10 years. I had to take a break and my Si Fu was very kind and understanding. I eventually pushed through seriously debating never going back. Then came the conversation about the next class... I genuinely expected to be told, like I was with the previously mentioned Ju Jit Su, that it would cost a kidney to be involved in the next class. I was surprised by the response. 2 hours for £6, no uniform needed and no grades were mandatory. This was something I could get on board with.

It's not that I am against paying and I wholeheartedly appreciate the need to make money, but I'm of the opinion there are two types of schools or classes. Those that do it to push competition and grades and those that do it for the love of the art. Again, in my opinion I don't need to spend £100+ on a uniform to learn how to defend myself, I'm not interested in contests or tournaments and if a grade opportunity comes up I'll evaluate my options at that time. If that sort of thing is for you then great! it's just not for me.

So, I went back the following week. Paid my £6 and to my surprise, had a less severe heart attack. I haven't missed a session since and am truly loving it. I've something I can throw all my energy into. I'm getting fitter, stronger and it's motivating me to lead a cleaner lifestyle. I've not had an alcoholic drink for nearly 2 months now and may never have another one (we shall see).

So, this is my story. Sorry for rambling but thought I would share. If anyone has any questions about Mok Gar I'd be happy to share some of my admittedly limited knowledge.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    chatter box likes this.
  2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Awesome stuff! Glad to hear you're enjoying your kungfu experience :)

Welcome to the MAP madhouse!

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Brilliant! I hope it continues to inspire you and welcome to MAP :)

4. Arcaderat5

Arcaderat5 Member

Hi mate wheres abouts in Birm are uou studying Mok Gar?

5. Lennon

Lennon Member

Just outside Birmingham to be honest. You know Wythall?

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Welcome to MAP!

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Great to here that you have found a club and an art that you enjoy. Your new club sounds a little like the way I teach. I only charge what I need to pay the rent of the hall and the insurance.

But dont be too hard on the other club. Teaching for fun is a luxury that most people cannot afford. In addition, I have kung fu brothers who run professional full time schools (including regular grading and so on) and to be honest they are better at kung fu than I am, and better at teaching kung fu than I am, because that is what they do full time every day, were as I fit my kung fu around having to go to work.

8. Arcaderat5

Arcaderat5 Member

Yeah yeah.

9. Lennon

Lennon Member

Oh I'm not criticising Clubs that have to charge more money than others. That's life, I totally get that.