Hey Folks!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by gslack, Jul 11, 2011.

1. gslack

gslack Valued Member

I am pleased to find a place like this and hope to meet some of you.

I am 42 years old and just getting back into training from a very long lay-off. Started out boxing and wrestling when I was very young and from there grew into A little bit of traditional wing chun studies then into Jeet Kune Do.

Once I got married and had kids I stopped training and got into coaching baseball, wrestling, and a little bit of boxing training at our local YMCA. My MA training kind of fell by the way side and now my kids are almost grown I have more time and finances to pursue it again. I am currently looking for a good instructor/school in my little area of ohio with very little success.

I lived in maryland/virginia area near DC for a few years and was able to attend a few seminars done by Inosanto, Vunak, and a few others from the PFS/Kali Academy JKD family. Loved the boxing-like approach and ever since wanted to pursue it. Thankfully I now have the opportunity.

Hope to learn a lot while I am here and get to know some of you.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Welcome

BTW, Getting married and having kids isn't the end

3. gslack

gslack Valued Member

Agreed, for me it was the beginning. I learned more from my 3 kids than i ever could have learned anywhere else.

4. KathleenMcCabe

KathleenMcCabe Valued Member

Hi gslack,

welcome :)

i would love to get an opportunity to train under Guro Inosanto myself. Got to do a seminar with Guro Marc Mc Fann back in March. Hoping to do a seminar with Guro Rick Faye later this year. :)

5. gslack

gslack Valued Member

Thank you for the welcome Kathleen..

Yes I would love the honor to train with him formally. Even at his age he has amazing skill and speed. I have heard good things about McFann though.

Nice to meet you BTW.

6. KathleenMcCabe

KathleenMcCabe Valued Member

Thank you gslack - nice to meet you too.

Guro Marc Mc Fann is absolutely amazing. If you ever get the opportunity to train with him - take it! You'll never regret it! :)

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey Gslack, whereabouts are you? Are you training with a JKD school currently?

I'm in the area myself. And into the same arts, by the sound of it.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Just to echo what others have said about him I did a McFann seminar organised in Hull by Andy Norman way back in 1997 - he is phenomenal and to this date I still use techniques i picked up at that seminar.

Marc to me is one of the unsung heroes of JKD - Paulson credots him with being seminal in his development and Tackett also tells tales about when Marc showed up for the first time he basically ripped everyone a new hole with his grappling - way before the UFC too!

I really must look at getting to train with him again because it really was an incredible experience - if you get the chance pick up a copy of his "Groundfighting" book.

9. gslack

gslack Valued Member

I'm just outside Mansfield, Ohio. And no currently I am shopping for a instructor close enough to me. I heard of one near Columbus, but thats about an hour away from me. Hoping for something closer.

10. gslack

gslack Valued Member

Praise from Tim Tackett is high praise indeed. From what I read he likes to keep things close to bruce's original JKD teachings. If he got his respect he really earned it.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

D'oh. I misread. Thought you were still near DC. Who'd you train with here?

12. 47MartialMan

Do you know what Ohio means in Japanese? :0

Do you know where Delta, Ohio is located?

13. gslack

gslack Valued Member

Nah I moved back to ohio years ago. I am still shopping for a instructor/school here.

14. gslack

gslack Valued Member

LOL no I don't know but I feel I should be afraid to ask...:)

All I know about Delta is its west of Toledo. I am about 2 hours and 30 minutes south east of there.

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It's "early", I think. Unless we're thinking of different words.

16. 47MartialMan

Morning?

17. gslack

gslack Valued Member

Well the omnipotent google has informed me that it means "Good Morning" in Japanese. LOL Google the bored mans best friend.

18. 47MartialMan

I thought so

19. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Its all RustBelt. Mansfield, home of the infamous Ohio State Reformatory and other things Gothic.

20. 47MartialMan

Indeed