Here's a new one!

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by YODA, Jan 28, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Check this style out & let me know what you think.

I'm saying NOTHING! (Yet)

Stavit

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Stavit - Derived from the drunken shout "Have it!!!!!" (shouted Peter Kay style)

Quote "In modern times my Uncle Eric, during the Second World War, fought hand-to-hand and beat Japanese opponents in Burma. He descends as I do from Danish Vikings who settled in this part of Yorkshire during the ninth century. His ability to fight came from fighting with his bare knuckles in real fight situations. "

Yoda, if you don't train in stavit, your just asking to be beaten up! :D

3. gingerninja

gingerninja Don't mock the sideburns

Wonderful where do I sign up!

p.s Do you get the lobotomy free or is it included in the membership fee?

the old B.S. meter goes schwing and then the needle falls off.

4. DogTags

DogTags New Member

HEY!!!! My momma does Stavit, and she'd kick all your ássés ;)

5. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Hmm ... looks like a lot of pretty standard chest-thumping hype. Doesn't really imply anything about the validity of the system. But their website doesn't intrigue me enough to check it out. If I happened to be near somplace teaching it, I would check it out ... but I wouldn't go out of my way to get there.

Mike

6. Jay

Jay New Member

I think people teaching crap like that should be held accountable when one of their 'students' gets hurt on the street.

From looking at the site for a few minutes I spotted a few things :

The'Black belts' looked as if their fitness was terrible ... i.e Beer Bellies, etc. If the fight went beyond one of their 21st century defence techniques I think they would be too knackered to do much else.

Any of the blade attacks were so telegraphed that instead of trying to 'intercept' the attack the 'victim' would have easily had time to run away to the nearest Police station ! I think it was Geoff Thompson who said 'Show-ers don't stab and stabbers dont show'. Most people who get stabbed in the street don't see the blade coming !

The price of training was extortionate !

But the strangest thing I saw was .... they train in a Squash Court :)

7. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

LOL ... well, having recently trimmed my own gut down, I can attest that it is not necessarily an inhibitor to stamina. My cardio is certainly better now than it was when I was 50 pounds heavier. But my resting heart rate, even at 280 lbs., was 74 bpm. I was able to spar hard for 20 minutes and not flag. Now my resting heart rate is down to about 63 and I do even better. A gut isn't necessarily an indicator of a lack of fitness. But I would guess that I was the exception rather than the rule.

I cut them a little slack on the pictures though ... if you don't exaggerate things in the pictures (and on video), then it's very difficult to see what's going on.

You're absolutely right about not seeing the knife, though.

But (playing devil's advocate here), let's look at it this way. If you don't see (or sense) the attack coming then you'll be hard pressed to do anything about it except bleed. You've already screwed up by not being aware of your surroundings and people's body postures ... or the attacker was good at hiding them. However, you get lucky and his initial attack (aimed for your kidney) hits low and gets your belt. Now, suddenly, you know you're being attacked and, if you're on the ball, you realize there's a knife involved.

As I said, I'm playing devil's advocate a little bit. Chances are that you'll just get stuck in the kidney and, if you're lucky, the guy will be gone with your wallet before you see him ... and maybe you'll get medical attention soon enough to survive. If you're not lucky, the guy's follow up attack will kill you.

But !@#$ happens. Awareness training is the only hope to prevent the above from happening. If that fails and it happens, short of some extraordinary luck, you're screwed.

So ... you can't train for that any more than you can train to defend yourself against an unknown expert sniper.

Consequently, you train what you *can* train for. Which is that, for one reason or another, you've seen the blade and are in a position to deal with it.

Well ... the low end (40) isn't too bad for a "day of training" (assuming that "a day" = 6 - 8 hours ... and assuming what they're teaching is really good). Over that, though ... you're right. It's kinda steep. I don't even pay those kinds of prices for a day of training with people like Dan Inosanto or Cacoy Canete. I *seriously* doubt that the Stavit guy is anywhere near their caliber.

Hey ... I resemble that remark :) I've worked out in a raquetball court. Currently, I teach in my living room. You have to train/teach where you can find the space (though my living room doesn't really fill the bill ... it's all I've got for the time being).

Mike

8. Jay

Jay New Member

Nice points Mike ... when commenting on the knife / machette attacks I was just concerned that if someone is being taught to expect a blade to be coming at them in a nice gentle arc that is easy to parry or block, then they are most probably going to bleed quite badly :( In all honesty now matter what training I have had, if someone pulls a blade and (a) He looks like he wants to use it, (b) He looks like he knows how to use it, and (c) there is the opportunity then I am getting out of there as quick as my gammy leg will carry me ! Or I am going to hand over the contents of my wallet - I can always cancel my credit cards ... aint no big deal.

One thing is for sure - I wouldn't be using any Stavit techniques !

Jay

PS : I was only joking about the Squash Court though :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

LOL! My thoughts exactly!

As soon as I saw "It is not a fighting method and therefore does not rely on, or require strength, speed, agility, hard-to-learn skill or endurance! " my bullsh1t meter went WOO WOO WOO!!!!!

I suppose it may work - if the attacker has none of those attributes either :p :p :p :p

10. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Ahhh too much use of bold!

Hope you've read their guestbook, I don't think a Mr Andy Davis was too impressed.

I'm sure i've seen a couple of those guys somewhere, probably actors. I'm sure one of them was on "The Bill"

11. ROBERT

ROBERT New Member

I have heard that the ufc won't allow stavit practitioners in their tournaments because no one else would have a chance.

I hope he comes out with a distance learning video program.

Robert

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Its too dangerous for UFC, they might as well commit suicide as enter that! :D

And whats wrong with having a big gut, Stavit does not rely on, or require strength, speed, agility, hard-to-learn skill or endurance!

The huge gut is mearly an energy well, step into there zone of terror and you'll soon find out! :p

13. slc

slc Banned Banned

I wonder if they've looked at the guestbook yet??

You guys are so mean! ;)

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Simon, I'm really serious. Its the style that has all the answers to winning fights easy! If you ever get all the money together that you need to start training in Stavit!!!! you might just find out :p

15. slc

slc Banned Banned

I can't wait! I'm gonna start saving today.

I'm particularly interested in learning the defence against the baseball bat. Stay within striking distance of the end of the bat, arms fully extended... No need to close the gap or to get close enough to counter... excellent, no wasted energy, love it! LOL

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I think I wet myself.

And whats wrong with training in a squash court (seriously)! ;)

Col

17. zen_monkey

zen_monkey New Member

Its not fat its padding

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

So what is it and what does it rely on??????????

And what do they think will happen when you meet someone that has strength, speed, agility, skill and endurance. And last but not least learnt an actual fighting method! :D

19. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<the old B.S. meter goes schwing and then the needle falls off. >

u mean Bathroom scale ?? man my freind must hav step on it ..
    he weighs more than 120 kgs :D
    -TkdWarrior-

20. johndoch

johndoch upurs

lol TKD